1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Founders Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barley Wine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by joshrosborne, Jun 24, 2012.

1. well, the good news- it's been rebrewed, and it's in the barrels now.
    the bad news: I cleaned out (and drank it all) at $6 a bottle locally.

there are still some stragglers, a case here and a case there still on the shelves, but not much. I think Nikki's has some in the back.

2. Grabbed one in Boston today $22

3. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

If you are looking for BC in northern Illinois, Binny's Algonquin, as of 3:45 had 5, limit one at $21.99. Armanetti's in Huntley ( Umi is the Man there, great guy, tell him Fred told you he has it - he will hook you up ), same price I got 2. Check out Armanetti's Woodstock same price , it's on the shelf, limit 2. You are welcome , enjoy - share the BA love, bro's..............................................

gpawned likes this.
  4. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (310) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Grabbed the 2nd to last one at my local shop today! Didn't think I was gonna get my hands on one!

5. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Have you even had Boltcutter? I guess jealousy brings out the best in people ;)

cnbrown313 likes this.
  6. love how a 4.35 isn't very good anymore.

steebo777, Auror and TheBeerDad like this.
  7. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I know right... only like a B+ if we were talking grade school, I'd get the belt for that...

8. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) New York Feb 24, 2010

When the average beer on BA is a 3.9 and a drain pour still gets a 2.5...4.35 with 9 reviews is not all that robust.

9. I don't disagree (although it has 13 reviews), but I didn't say anything about the robustness. Scalzo said "isnt getting too good of reviews," and on BA, that's just not right.

Whether or not it holds up is anyone's guess, but if the rAvg doesn't go down, yes, I will be surprised.

10. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) New York Feb 24, 2010

Fair enough. I opened one last night and thought it was very, very, average.

jisom123, Scalzo and tronto like this.
  11. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

four cases? i know plaves in wisconsin that have the higest allocation of founders and only got 6 bottles?

12. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

If I could trade all of my Bolt Cutters $4$ for the Sebago Barleywine, I would do it in a heartbeat....and I haven't even had Bolt Cutter yet. Sadly, I'll likely never fall into that particular opportunity until the next batch is released.

It's really that good.

However, I imagine that these are two very different beers (style classifications aside)....so no use in comparing, really.

jedwards, woosterbill and ShogoKawada like this.
  13. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (705) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I thought it was excellent. Is the average BA rating a 3.9?

14. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

At .03c/mL.... It should be better than "average." However... why are people drinking these now? I advised everyone who bought one to wait until the end of time.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  15. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (485) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Missed out on this one, unfortunately. Local GE had one case and it went in like an hour.

16. SWChi

SWChi Advocate (515) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

In the Chi...

[​IMG]

17. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Savant (420) Michigan Nov 6, 2012

Picked up a bottle today. Stopped by three stores with three different prices. $25,$27,$30.

18. JKIRBY

JKIRBY Aficionado (225) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2010

Bought one today. $20.99 Hope it's good. I'm betting on the Founders folks swinging for the fences.
    Told the Beer Manager that I'd give it back if he could hook me up with a Coffee Bourbon County.

19. Stuckey_t

Stuckey_t Zealot (95) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

If anyone has a bottle of bolt cutter they would consider trading I have 2012 abyss and 2012 darkness. I would go 1 for 1 and could do a bigger trade as well if someone wanted to. I really want to try this beer but missed the window here in the twin cities for trying to score some. Let me know!

20. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I have a couple for trade. Hit me up.

21. Stuckey_t

Stuckey_t Zealot (95) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

message sent:D

22. jisom123

jisom123 Savant (340) Indiana Aug 21, 2008

Just tried some. Glad that I only bought one bottle. (Still love Founders though!)

23. jisom123

jisom123 Savant (340) Indiana Aug 21, 2008

... It better change. :/

24. dbol

dbol Savant (255) California Aug 19, 2007

got one, but will probably end up trading it. i haven't been that into barrel aged barleywines as of late.

25. So many haters

gustogasmic likes this.
  26. augustg

augustg Savant (290) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

What?! I'm seeing several people slam this beer without even trying it first. It's actually not "average" at all (just my opinion of course). Personally think it's one of the best in the Backstage series and one of the most interesting Barley Wines I've had. If you haven't tried it you should. If you don't yet have it you should get it!

I think some people just like the attention of slamming a "hyped" beer.

27. Grabbed one for $18.99 yesterday.

28. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Jesus the prices. $15 at Bestway, 16+ at city beverage. 30 bucks is taking advantage.

29. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2012

Yup. $14.49 at Bestway trounces any other price. The Brewer's Kettle was even charging $20 I heard.

I'm contemplating trading mine.

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I bought two, I'm not in a hurry to do anything with them. There's nothing I really want right now in way of trade anyway. I'll let one sit for a few months then drink it, maybe look to trade the other to a state where Founders isn't delivered. Maybe get me some IPA's from CA before July beach week.

31. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2012

There are a few RISs that I vehemently want to try, but I do believe I should let this one age before making a move.

32. Hobby

Hobby Aficionado (195) Michigan May 26, 2012

My local store has it for 30 bucks, I told him he was crazy.

33. Did you snap your fingers at him?

34. Tee2Grn

When the guy at my local store said $27 I said wow. He told me " that's what they cost. The brewery was selling them for almost as much and I am having no problem selling them. "

35. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Honestly, hard to fault him for that. 5 bucks a ticket and 22 a bottle at the brewery...

36. I paid $13.99 at Tasty Beverage Co. I was pleasantly surprised by that after reading this thread.

37. Tee2Grn

I agree. I told him he had a good point

38. stakem

stakem Champion (880) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I opened a bottle tonight and im not that impressed. The founders 10th anniversary was amazing and i was holding this to the same standard of awesomeness.

I guess I just prefer english barleywine. This is like a DIPA with solvent alcohol added. Not really getting much of the barrel aged portion (hidden behind the hops?) While the listed 15% and big alcohol impact suggest "age me" I dont really see aging this being a good thing. If you remove the fresh juicy hop quality, you are left with nothing much other than booze.

Color me disappointed.

tjfilippo likes this.
  39. CanisMajor

CanisMajor Savant (290) Indiana Oct 24, 2012

Anyone see this in NW IN yet?

Canis