1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barley Wine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by joshrosborne, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Thank goodness I still have family that lives there. I know it's a ways away, but have they said anything about how it would work with the tickets? I.E. how many you can buy, if they are tied to a particular ID, etc?

2. What is definitely happening? Ticket sales or specifically ticket sales at the taproom only?

3. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Ticket sales at the taproom.

vivasbeer likes this.
  4. Hoping they give exclusivity to the taproom for at least a Week before trying to sell them online

5. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

So there will definitely be an online sale or taproom only?

6. No clue.....And not sure anyone has anything more definitive. At this point it's all speculation, unless someone has an inside scoop (knows Mike, or Dave personally)

My guess is they are still tossing idea's around

pschul4 likes this.
  7. steebo777

You know what, I totally misread your post, sorry about that. I thought you were just asking about a ticket needed to get into the taproom for the event.

I think they'll start selling tix in the taproom, then if they have any leftover, sell them online. Which will in turn, crash the Internet.

JohnB87 and pschul4 like this.
  8. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I'm actually a little disappointed in this. I'm not a huge Barleywine fan at all, and it's not because I've had shitty Barleywines. I picked up a bottle of King Henry this past winter, and thought it was just ok. It was definitely the best Barleywine I ever had, but I wasn't really into it at all.

That said, being a local, Founders is my favorite brewery and I'll be there and try this regardless, I'm just not holding out hope that I'll actually like it.

9. Trade the rest to me ;)

10. Kind of hoping this becomes ticketed. Don't really feel like trying to deal with a shitshow the same way KBS sounded. Also, Darkness is going to be harder this year too, so I'm hoping for a break with this one.

11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

This should get reported! Get 'em Bros!

Zeller12, zchall23 and mjshearer1 like this.
  12. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

Does this count as the next backstage series after the FMB? If it's coming out in November-ish, that seems like it would be around the right time...

13. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I would definitely consider picking up a bottle or two for trading to those less fortunate. :)

zchall23 and robohop like this.
  14. Shhh...

15. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

I really want to try this guy, I guess my theory of black biscuit being the next backstage release were dead wrong.

Wonder if it will be barrel aged, I guys it would say on the label if it was

16. Why do you guys bother to stand in line for shelf beer? Must be a mid-west thing. :cool:

17. Nice observation, It says Barley Wine Ale on the label so I assume its probably a stout.

18. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Awhile back founders tweeted a picture of a "special beer" aging in a barrel, what they were calling an anniversary beer so I would assume its at least bourbon barrel aged, maybe maple bourbon.

zchall23, founder26 and KevSal like this.
  19. ajfa531

ajfa531 Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 2, 2007

I think this is the picture to which you were referring: http://instagram.com/p/Jezxc6Iv9u/

Initially, I though it was for the 15th anniversary bottling. However, I believe Founders had stated that the next two Backstage bottles would not be barrel-aged after Better Half. Since the label does not states any barrel information, I was thinking that might have a separate barrel-aged version or draft only for their sexy party. Time will tell.

- Joe

20. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

I thought Ohio was supposed to be upping the ABV limit soon.

21. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

We've also perfected the art of truck-chasing.

22. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

Because in northern MI, this isn't going to be a shelf beer. If I want some, and I do, I will need to be at the brewery to get it.

23. He was kidding.

24. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

One of the spiciest, strangest beers around!

25. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Indiana has limited Sunday sales. The restuarant and bar associations are major supporters of this legislation. It has little to do with being church-centric as much as being all about the $.

26. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Dude it's Founders...Living anywhere in Michigan you'll have to be at the brewery to get some!

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  27. bookerandy

bookerandy Savant (260) Indiana May 6, 2012

being an Indiana resident and a bartender, I hate the Indiana alcohol laws. They are more inline with 1912 than 2012.

BarryMFBurton and zencigar like this.
  28. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (205) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

In the south, most of the booze laws have roots in church wishes. It stayed against the law for so long because of money, but it didn't start out that way.

29. bozodogbreath

This is true for IN, too.

30. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (205) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

So my point was that we are slowly getting rid of laws that were created mainly for religious reasons.

31. bozodogbreath

Yes, created mainly for religious reasons - no argument there; but currently maintained for mainly financial reasons. To which do you prefer to be a slave? :)

32. steebo777

Beer.

zencigar likes this.
  33. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I'll have to reserve some of this wicked elixer................ I hope I can get it in NY.... I seem to have no problem with Founders in my area.....

34. Just posted from Founders:

[​IMG]

The beer is going to spend time maturing in the bottles before release.

yamar68 likes this.
  35. steebo777

36. Meph varies each year, usually between 16 and 17%.

2007: 16%
    2010: 15.95%
    2011: 16.80%

37. They said on FB that it will be distributed similar to the Backstage series.

38. Thank goodness if it is an EBW. The world does not need another American/West Coast BW.

claspada and zencigar like this.
  39. abv Caps? See Double Black

40. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Well there has been a reply on FB that they are going to release some into the markets outside the brewery in about the same numbers as the Backstage series bottles. I wonder if the wood on the background of the label means that it has been barrel aged ?