1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barley Wine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by joshrosborne, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

If it was sitting in -bals for 8 years I am not going to buy it. People will jizz their pants over it, but it will not be good. 8 months sounds more reasonable. Hell, 8 minutes seems more reasonable than 8 years.

2. BrewTangClan

BrewTangClan Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012

Why wouldn't beer at 15% last 8 yrs?

3. Buy it and trade it to me ;)

4. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Really people? 8 years ago founders knew that they were going to expand by 800% so they brewed a beer able to reach all the markets they are in now? Morons

franklinn, WillCarrera and ASUBeer like this.
  5. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

They must have a really good business plan.

6. No need to be so pejorative in your language.

7. ajfa531

ajfa531 Savant (300) New Jersey Jun 2, 2007

If the 8 years in a barrel had any truth to it, it would only make sense to me if it was part of a blending of old and new barleywines for a final product. That's the only way I could see that being true. The 8 year old component would have to be a small percentage. Wasn't there a 5 year old component for one of the FW blends?

- Joe

8. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

I heard evertually the beer stops soaking up the barrel and a tar residue forms at the bottom...

9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Even if it was true (put my odds on a negatory), like ajfa531 said, it would probably be a blend in order to make the probable (guessing) 15,000 bottles. Do you even think blending would affect the flavor that much, considering they wouldn't have been able to age that much of it?

EDIT: Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory.

10. I have this beer right now, afraid to drink because I think it'll be valuable...3mos. before it's released...any interest?

11. How do you have?

12. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

facepalm.jpg

Also, I heard it was in barrels for 80 years. HYPE TRAIN BABY, CHOO CHOO!!!

libbey, MaxSpang and crushedvol like this.
  13. Something about watching the world burn.

JCDenver, YogiBeer, zchall23 and 4 others like this.
  14. Rumor is that the barrels they used were made from reclaimed wood from Noah's Ark.

Massbmx, yamar68, libbey and 10 others like this.
  15. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

well that's only partially true.

the wood used to create the barrels was first soaked in black tuesday that had been aging in barrels that previously held chocolate rain and then transported via rocket launch into the outer atmosphere of the earth (where the wood was then placed into pappy barrels) before returning to earth via reentry into a remote diamond mine on the desolated coast of Namibia where the wood was allowed to dry amongst a colony of seals. those are just the basic details as I understand there was a lot more that went into the beer and I don't want to ramble on. cheers.

Blanco, Zeller12, YogiBeer and 3 others like this.
  16. I believed you until the colony of seals part. That is just ridiculous.

YogiBeer, kmatlack, bfg75 and 3 others like this.
  17. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Pete27lax and chcfan like this.
  18. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

headshake.gif

Did you add it to your renter/homeowner's insurance policy as a valuable item. With value like it's going to have your current policy isn't going to cut it.

libbey likes this.
  19. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Have they announced the date of the Anniversary Party?

20. JohnB87

21. dvelcich likes this.
  22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Founders parking lot the night of the 16th (with barrel of BCBS)...wake up, stand in line, get bottles, drink a few beers, get into car, have Mike drive to Chicago for the evening session of FoBAB...who's with us!?

adamdd likes this.
  23. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

dsal89 likes this.
  24. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

You may have just made my weekend plans for me!

zchall23 likes this.
  25. JohnB87

How did I read over that post? Holy crap!

26. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I know...had original plans to ditch the Anny party and join my Chicago crew at FoBAB at the afternoon session...but may have to rethink things. Thanks alot Marc! ;)

27. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Almost true - its actually the wood from the cross and that individual did create the beer from water!

28. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Story of your life.

29. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

The "get into car" and "drive to chicago" part is genius, especially since it follows " barrel of BCBS" and "few beers".

LOL, well played.

30. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Isn't this suppost to be a ticketed only event ? If you get a ticket you really wouldn't have to wait in line that long.

31. Wai
    Waiting outside the brewery is a event in itself. Just like at other beer releases/ parties.. Ahh.. makes me think back to CBS and the nice bottle share we had going at the front of the line. Then the crazy hobo in his wheelchair... who came up and somehow managed to grab a DL from among the bottles and leave.. lolz

zchall23 likes this.
  32. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

No official word yet, but it will probably be a ticketed event.

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Well, Mike doesn't drink. I guess sometimes in my head I assume everyone knows that, but that is obviously not the case. So in some instances, I make sure to take full advantage...this being one. DD from Founders to Fobab, then about 10 free extra tokens because he can only had 3 samples of Gilgamesh then he wanders around taking hip shots of that girl with the amazing ass in the black spandex pants (I know I'm not the only one who remembers that thing!?)

JRBecks and JohnB87 like this.
  34. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Anniversary Party is on my 29th birthday. You can bet your ass I'm going to be there celebrating in style.

35. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

The anniversary party is not the same as the release of bolt cutter bottles. Bolt Cutter will be on tap at the party, but no bottles will be sold.

36. JohnB87

Source?

37. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

Founders

38. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

If this is the case, I wonder if Founders will even bother doing bottle releases on site anymore.

39. JohnB87

There wasn't anything on their website/blog. That's why I asked. Can you reference a Facebook post or something? This wouldn't surprise me, but it's always good to have a source of information other than the stereotypically vague "my buddy who works there" answer.

40. Breakfast Stout Breakfast appears to be on 11/10, with an anniversary party the week after? 2 Ticketed events a week apart, guess I've got to pick which one i'm going to attend this year.