1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barley Wine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by joshrosborne, Jun 24, 2012.

1. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

Yep, I was driving, sorry for the vagueness.. just couldn't help replying, since this is something I was confused on a couple of months ago, and seems to still have a lot of people confused. Here is from Facebook, and I'm the "Andy" they are replying to. You can look it up on their facebook post from July 20th to see for yourself.

Founders Brewing Co. (Official) ‎Justin: It's cool, we've been keeping it quiet. There's a story behind this beer that we'll be telling shortly.
    All: This beer is expected to be available in late fall, likely November. As Andy said, we'll be releasing it at our taproom through a ticketed release system, but this will be separate from the anniversary party we'll be throwing, where we'll have Bolt Cutter on tap. We expect to also send this beer out to our markets (where the ABV is not an issue) in limited quantities, similar to our other Backstage Series beers.
    July 20 at 10:02am · Unlike · 5

2. I have manager friends...Cracking it open right now.

npaauwe likes this.
  3. yepbye2

yepbye2 Aficionado (175) Illinois Feb 23, 2011

Is it bourbon barrel aged?

4. You guys will be dead.

5. How in the world is Mongo, Cosmic, Libbey, kzoo, & others not torching this guy...M.Intihar gets immediate BA of Year vote for stepping up to the plate here.

fishtremble likes this.
  6. You wouldn't happen to be good friends with SpottedZombie, GuruDel, Swuntly or lanamj would you? If you are I would be willing to trade one of my bottles of Surly NYNE 3 years before it is released!!!

gpawned and crushedvol like this.
  7. Yes. According to the Founders rep @ the beer dinner in Detroit. But he was also pretty drunk.

zchall23 likes this.
  8. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

He usually is at the events, but a great guy!

zchall23 likes this.
  9. steebo777

I asked a few peeps at the brewery this weekend and they are debating whether to do both at the same time, or split the date when the bottles will be on sale and when the anniversary party will happen.

raymo55 likes this.
  10. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I think they should have the bottle release on a monday again, keep it seperate from the anny party, just sayin :)

Theeabyss, npaauwe and steebo777 like this.
  11. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

I'm good with this. I can see the point of doing them at the same time, but I really think splitting them will make both events more enjoyable on their own. besides, I need a reason to take a day off of work.

founder26 likes this.
  12. npaauwe

npaauwe Zealot (75) Michigan Jan 23, 2012

Idk about the Frangelic but the Better Half release was on a Monday and was great. I arrived around 11:30 or so and some people had already gone through the line about 2 or 3 times. I fear however for the Bolt Cutter release.

steebo777 likes this.
  13. I'm ready to thrown down a beer gauntlet for a bottle when this is released. I hate hyping beers but Founders is one brewery that is consistently great. I have a feeling this one will be fantastic. PS...ISO Surly Syx and Boltcutter..

14. This is getting poured as part of the Rare Beer Tasting IV just before GABF. Hopefully we'll have more info and some opinions after that.

15. Founders website has a new event on their calendar. Bolt Cutter Release Party on 11/19

npaauwe likes this.
  16. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

At 7 Monks Taproom up in Traverse City.

17. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (335) Michigan May 28, 2008

Got excited it was on a Monday and then noticed it was in TC. Oh well.

18. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

If all goes to plan I will have one. Great shop across the river in Royal Oak, MI has me down at #2 on the "list". :)

Didn't know much about it until today, still a newb-Canuck trying to dive into the craft deep end.

19. Bills453

Bills453 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 6, 2007

DAMN YOU OHIO! Effing 12%...I'm on a personal mission to have this changed. Already written to a few politicians.

gpawned, beerhan, zchall23 and 2 others like this.
  20. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

I got an email back from founders, they are releasing more info on this next week!

21. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

22. s1ckboy

s1ckboy Savant (340) Massachusetts Apr 10, 2011

Edit: got beat to it

And they just did: http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2012/bolt-cutter/

"Today we are officially announcing the release of Bolt Cutter, a 15% ABV barley wine brewed in celebration of our 15th anniversary and the next release in our Backstage Series. The beer will be available in our taproom through a ticketed release system November 11 through 16 and in stores November 19. Tickets for the taproom release go on sale online at Brown Paper Tickets beginning Saturday, October 6, at 11am.

Bolt Cutter is a cellarable barley wine with an ABV of 15%. Dry-hopped with a mountain of Cascade hops, it’s balanced by a malty sweetness and spicy complexity, resulting from barrel aging some of it in bourbon barrels, some in maple syrup-bourbon barrels and some not at all (standard fermentation only). We’ve allowed the beer to mature in bottles and kegs since July so that it would be perfect for its release next month. Bolt Cutter pours a deep copper color and is best sampled at different temperatures to allow the flavors to unfold.

And there’s a story behind the name.

“Years ago,” says Co-Founder, President & CEO Mike Stevens, “when our brewery was located on Monroe, we were defaulting on our loan. Eventually, the bank called and threatened to chain our doors shut if we didn’t come up with the money that we owed them. We had seven days to come up with half a million dollars.”

“So I bought a pair of bolt cutters,” says Co-Founder, Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “We were determined to keep our doors open and to keep brewing beer, no matter what it took. Luckily, we never had to use them.”

Engbers keeps the bolt cutters in his office as a reminder of how far we’ve come and the journey we’ve taken since brewing our first beer in November 1997.

To thank all of you in West Michigan and beyond for your years of support, we are throwing a free anniversary party on November 17 in our taproom. We hope to see you here so that we can all celebrate together."

Hanzo, ASUBeer and BreakingBad like this.
  23. mjshearer1

So basically, the internet will break on October 6th at 11:00 AM.

ObiWanKushnobi and cfrances33 like this.
  24. steebo777

Hopefully I get a ticket!

25. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

This is going to be dumb. So many people are going to buy tickets that will probably just try to sell those tickets. What about tickets at the brewery? Nothing special for living in the same city as the brewery?

BreakingBad likes this.
  26. mjshearer1

One ticket limit. Granted, people can get other people to buy tickets for them to sell, and then would have to have said people to pick up bottles for any unsold tickets, but that seems like it's a huge pain in the ass. I'm probably underestimating people's doucheness, though.

And, we do get something special for us living in the city. We get first dibs, unless people take off days from work or whatever to road trip. Again, probably underestimating people.

SpeedwayJim and steebo777 like this.
  27. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

Well. I live a mile from the brewery. So access to the beer isn't tough. Now, the ticket site... How quick will that shatter?

28. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

$23 bucks each plus the ticket price?!?! Passing on this one for sure.

smutty33 likes this.
  29. steebo777

Welcome to 2012 beer releases...

ChadlyG, ObiWanKushnobi and raymo55 like this.
  30. This beer will make a great Thanksgiving desert after some delicious turkey and stuffing.

31. BreakingBad

I'm glad they are doing this during the week!

32. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

The cost of the bottles is $23 each. What's the cost of the ticket that you need to purchase the bottles? I don't see anything about any cost for the tickets themselves.

33. BreakingBad

Whalez Bro, Whalez

Scotty likes this.
  34. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

$23? Wow. I figured it would be the CBS price of $17.99. Dont get me wrong, im still going to buy as much of it as i can, but it better be damn good for that price! No artificial flavors!

ObiWanKushnobi likes this.
  35. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Looks like it said Free.

36. Says the party is free

37. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (200) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

Just wanted to mention while at the brewery today and last night they had some barrels in the brew house with a sign that said
    Project XVI

38. That is a great story.

Hanzo, gpawned and BreakingBad like this.
  39. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

The party on the 17th is free. The tickets are for bottle pickup the days before the party.

40. Any word on a bottle count? How much is going into distro?