1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Bottle Dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, Feb 15, 2013.

1. I went to grab some Founders Centennial IPA but saw it had no date. They had about 5 other varieties of Founders all with yellow dates printed on the necks. I remember when they used to print their dates in black and it was very hard to see against the bottle, but this isn't the case either. I bought it anyway against my better judgement. Tastes fine. The entire case on the shelf was this way? Could someone have wiped the dates off?

2. Did you look at all the bottles from the 6pk? Sometimes only 1 or 2 still have the date printed on the neck...

3. Yeah, and I checked a couple from the other 6 packs on the shelf. Total of 4 six packs... no dates

4. Just went and grabbed a FBS from my basement to see if these could be rubbed off and they can, just takes some scratching with the fingernail. I would like to think that I would be able to tell if the hops were old though and they don't taste like it. Perhaps the case they had on the shelf didn't get dated?

5. Probably multiple cases. If the printer goes down, they're not going to stop packaging. My guess is if they taste good, then there's nothing to worry about.

6. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Could be just a printing issue. Victory Hop Devil dates are on the label but I've seen some with no dates.

I bought a case of Founders Breakfast Stout and some of the dates were unreadable. There were just yellow specks on the bottle neck.

7. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yep its pretty typical of Founders bottles. With FBS I try to find the latest ones because of the coffee component.. and so if I see bottles of FBS without a date on it, I won't buy it. As long as its October (I think thats the latest brewing date anyway) I'm good for FBS. Otherwise I'll find something else to buy.