1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Founders Brewing 2013 Release Calendar

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by FATC1TY, Dec 25, 2012.

1. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Looks like there were some changes.

KBS moves to April, Reds Rye in bottles isn't year round, and they pulled Cerise, and brought back Rübæus in the summer.

2. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

D you have a link to the calendar?

3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

jnoff78 and Torieos like this.
  4. Lare453

5. pnkRed

pnkRed Aficionado (170) Virginia Dec 1, 2009

It's disappointing that Red's Rye isn't going to be bottled year round. It's my goto sixer.

6. Bung

Bung Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

Can someone explain what the reds rye pa is in the specialty??

7. because it's not year round anymore?

8. They want to make sure it doesn't sit on shelves for too long. The hops fade a lot quicker in Red's Rye than they do in some of their darker beers.

9. Lare453

But it's listed in year rounds. They need a better proof reader

10. Monstro

Monstro Savant (305) New Jersey Dec 5, 2009

Its available year round draft only, and will be a specialty 4pk in Sept-Oct.

11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

It shows it being phased out in March is why...

12. Bung

I guess I understand the chart, just not sure how many people are going to consider it "specialty". Certainly does not fit with the others.

13. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I'm not sure you do.

Why doesn't it fit with the others? Founders says it is a specialty now, so it's a specialty.

Rimbimhoot likes this.
  14. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I was told by a buddy that the KBS production would be a bit higher... Is there any truth behind this?

15. It doesn't mean it will be sitting around on the shelves but yes, a lot higher in 2013!

16. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

there's supposed to be more, but there's more people that want it every year, which keeps the demand much higher than supply. i'd expect 1-2 bottle limits, jacked up pricing and dozens of threads with people losing their minds about it come march/april.

cnbrown313, stayclean and Gushue3 like this.
  17. Bung

Easy there young fella...go back to trolling the yahoo message boards.

18. Bung

More what I was hoping for was that someone was going to say that they ran out of space on the chart and it is actually a red rye with some other treatment done to it.

19. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Red's Rye is going to be year-round draft but a seasonal release in bottles because of cost and quality issues. More importantly, Breakfast Stout is moving to 6-packs, will be available longer, and will remain the same price.

EDIT: Here's the full run-down from Founders' website.
    http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2012/2013-availability-calendar/

20. Thanks for posting the release schedule, fatcity! cheers!

21. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Founders explains on their blog. Basically it's expensive to make and doesn't stay fresh long, so making it a four-pack seasonal will keep quality up and justify a higher price.

EDIT: Superfluous post, ndepriest covered it, nothing to see here...

22. BeerSnob218

BeerSnob218 Disciple (65) Virginia Apr 10, 2012

Can't wait for kbs in april

papaholmz likes this.
  23. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

I like that next year we get 2 more bottles of FBS for free*! Though I see it being a 10.99 sixer on many store shelves.

24. dkuback3

dkuback3 Aspirant (25) Ohio Dec 30, 2012

Anyone know much about rubaeus?

25. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

26. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

Thats a shame about reds rye, but at least they posted a lengthy and understandable explanation

27. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Not a fan, so it doesn't matter much to me, but it is quite understandable. I see Red's Rye everywhere, all the time.

28. +1

29. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

They also keep expanding their distribution so while they might be making more, it seems the specialty beers are harder to get every year.

elgiacomo likes this.
  30. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

What's usually the limit on kbs release day? Also how much more was made this year?

31. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Well, here we go....

cnbrown313 likes this.
  32. I wonder what the Founders Sampler Case will be composed of now. Pale Ale replacing Red's Rye? Or, maybe, whatever brew is the current seasonal will be planted in along with Dirty Bastard, Porter, and Centennial IPA? That would be cool.

33. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's awesome, basically all you need to know. It also ages very well, for up to three years or so I'd say.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  34. MarcatGSB

A four pack...

JohnB87 likes this.
  35. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It WAS a case per person in the past. Due to the ridiculous amount of people who showed up last year they had to limit people to half a case.

36. MarcatGSB

Rubaeus is fantastic. When I first saw that they were bringing it back, I wondered if the success of Blushing Monk made it easier for them to move away from Cerise...I know the cherry crop blah blah blah, but it could have eased the pain for them. They still use their house yeast with Rubie, instead of the Belgian yeast they used in BM, correct?

37. I enjoy a few Cerise a year but around where I shop at lease it sits more than any other Founders beer. I'm pretty certain I can still go grab some of the last batch and possible even the one before that too.

38. Regarding my earlier post, I asked Founders. Pale Ale is replacing Red's Rye PA in the Sampler Cases that ship to the Pennsylvania market.

39. I picked up a couple 4 packs of Cerise at a local shop yesterday since they won't be releasing it anymore. Will this beer age well or should I drink them relatively quickly?