1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Brewing Co. To Introduce "Doom", A New Barrel-Aged Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

GRAND RAPIDS, MI (Feb 2013) –Founders Brewing Co. will introduce Doom, a bourbon-barrel-aged Imperial IPA, this April to mark the sixth installment in the brewery’s popular Backstage Series. Like all Backstage Series beers, Doom will be sold in 750mL bottles. It has a suggested retail price of $12.99 per bottle.

Doom is unleashed when Founders’ award-winning specialty Imperial IPA, Double Trouble, is aged in bourbon barrels for four months to create a distinct flavor experience. So, while Double Trouble is brewed to turn your world upside down, Doom is brewed to tear it apart: pungent hops conspire with boozy bourbon notes to send your senses spinning.

Known as “Hand of Doom” when originally brewed for Founders’ taproom, this 10% ABV beer is a unique addition to Founders’ barrel-aged repertoire, which has mostly consisted of malt-forward beers such as Backwoods Bastard and Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

“Doom is one of those beers that we’ve talked about releasing ever since we started the Backstage Series,” says Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “It’s hop heavy. It’s barrel-aged. It’s unapologetic. It’s the definition of a Founders beer.”

Founders’ Backstage Series is made up of boundary-pushing, experimental beers that have previously been available only in the brewery’s taproom and at a handful of high-exposure events. The intent of the series is to take the diehard Founders fan experience to a wider audience—though all of the beers are still released in limited batches. Since its introduction in the summer of 2011, Founders’ Backstage Series beers have quickly become some of the most sought-after releases in the industry.

Doom will be released in limited quantities across Founders’ distribution footprint beginning on Monday, April 22, and will be available at the brewery’s taproom through a ticketed release during the week of April 14. The brewery expects to release two more Backstage Series beers in 2013.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 50 largest craft breweries in the U.S., it has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and its beers are often rated among the best in the world by RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild and the Brewers Association. For more information, visit www.foundersbrewing.com.

###
  2. Looks like the black buscuit will evade us again for another backstage installlment....
    Gosox8787 and KevSal like this.
  3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

They should have aged it in fresh oak.
  4. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Sucks that they can't just combine this with the KBS release.
    frankthetank86 likes this.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

Sounds tasty but I was hoping for a FIS variant...
  6. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Gotta love the label art ;)

[​IMG]
    LuisQ, jdmandel, ThreeFishes and 16 others like this.
  7. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Savant (490) Ohio May 24, 2011

I need to get some of my own bourbon barrels!
    RobertColianni likes this.
  8. Pretty excited about this. I haven't had a Founders beer that disappointed me yet.
  9. Good, strong beer is a necessity for Purdue fans, especially this year.
    ressling and Judgie like this.
  10. danpam1024

danpam1024 Aficionado (175) Florida Oct 31, 2012

Get'em to Florida!
    LuisQ likes this.
  11. Yes and the wait continues...
  12. Rebuilding year = I'm sorry, liver
  13. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Can't believe no one is saying this but, not everything should be barrel aged.
  14. Indeed sir!
  15. Looks like a rebranding of "Syzyrp of Doom". Which makes me deeply happy, as that brew always evaded me!
    KGMIbeer likes this.
  16. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Actually, this is a rebranding of Hand of Doom, as its aged in bourbon barrels. Syzyrp of Doom is aged in Maple Bourbon barrels.
    KGMIbeer likes this.
  17. Thanks for the clarity, I was on the right track
  18. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Purdue? More like purDON'T.
    csparace likes this.
  19. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

So, Founders kicked BPT to the curb after the KBS debacle, and is now going with Eventbrite. They also pushed the ticket sales back a week. Be sure to bookmark the following page:

http://foundersbrewingdoom.eventbrite.com/
  20. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Also of note is the verbiage at the bottom of the page linked by mjshearer1. They went back to the "name specific" tickets.....and reads like their playing hardball now. I like it.

Due to overwhelming feedback regarding the ability to reduce scalping, we have returned to the "Name Specific" tickets. Each ticket is assigned to the purchaser and CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are not sure if you are able to complete your purchase on the date specified on your ticket, do not purchase a ticket.
    All proceeds from ticket sales will be contributed to the Grand Rapids White Water initiative (link: https://www.facebook.com/grandrapidswhitewater)

***THERE IS A LIMIT OF ONE TICKET PER PERSON FOR THE ENTIRE SIX DAY RELEASE. ANY TICKETS ORDERED WITH DUPLICATE ATTENDEE NAMES WILL NOT BE HONORED AND REFUNDS WILL NOT BE OFFERED***
    IMPORTANT: ALL TICKETS ARE NAME AND DATE SPECIFIC AND ARE NON-TRANSFERRABLE. NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER. DON'T ASK!
  21. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Good thing I still have my fake ID from college.
  22. CaseyB23

CaseyB23 Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

anyone know the date tickets go on sale? I'll actually be in grand rapids on sunday april 14, and id love to get a bottle or two.
  23. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Saturday 3.16
  24. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I'll try some if I can get my hands on it, but not going to work too hard. The only aged IPA I've enjoyed is white oak jai alai. I have a hard time imagining this will be as good, but I've been surprised before.
    thousandfoldthought and CaseyB23 like this.
  25. markd4

markd4 Aficionado (160) Michigan Aug 15, 2004

Mjmoser likes this.
  26. mjshearer1

Well...that was a lot less stressful than KBS. I even was able to buy the ticket on my phone in the boonies. Double bonus.
  27. Yeah. tickets are still available for every day except Sunday. But then again, if this is anything like Bolt Cutter, you will probably be able to find it on the shelves for quite a while. I still see places that have Frangelic Mountain Brown on the shelf.
  28. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

There is about 200 bottles of frangelic in the taproom as of 2 weeks ago.
  29. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

this was good y'all
  30. eawolff99

eawolff99 Advocate (545) Colorado May 10, 2010

*yawn*

I'll still spend $20 to drink half of a bottle and dump the rest though...thanks: FMB, Bolt Cutter, this year's BwB and FBS :)
  31. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Savant (425) Michigan Feb 26, 2008

Wild Turkey barrels run about $150. Excellent deal, and they ship!
  32. mjshearer1

So, a couple of important things came across the comments section on their Instagram pic of Doom in a glass:

1. There will be some Doom related glassware associated with the release. Cool stuff, I'm down.

2. Some guy asked if the KBS glass was ever coming back. Their response: "Yes! We've ordered some, in fact."

OHSHITYES~!

http://instagram.com/p/XDg5z0IvyP/
    rsenters29 and Michigan like this.
  33. jb123

jb123 Savant (460) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

sounds good, shorts bba huma was freaking amazing so i cannot wait.
  34. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Cool glass
  35. Is this going to affect the release of Frangelic Mountain Brown in any way?
  36. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

It's a good thing the Doom Release is right before the Black Party, I can pick up some Doom glasses at the party.
  37. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (375) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

I can't wait. Looking Glass is unreal. I know it's not the same, but Double Trouble is my favorite DIPA.
  38. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (455) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

39. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (455) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

I disagree. I think EVERYTHING should be barrel aged. Syrup, lemonade, water, etc., every single beverage or liquid substance used by man should be barrel aged.
  40. Lube?
    paul27 and steebo777 like this.