1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Brewing Co. To Introduce "Doom", A New Barrel-Aged Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

picked up two tickets for me and a friend. Cant wait to celebrate doom day. I too love double trouble.
    blacknyellow20 likes this.
  2. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I Just realized that this is the same beer as Hand Of Doom, I had it on tap 3-4 years ago. I remember liking it.
  3. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

what is the KBS release?
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

It's where people go to Founders to buy a beer called KBS.
    fredmugs likes this.
  5. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

thanks, but, i thought i heard there's a special release of KBS coming
  6. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

Its a little interesting that it is always said to sit on ipas yet aging them in bourbon barrels for 4 months is making everyone go crazy. I understand that barrel aged american barleywines are somewhat similar and are loved, but barleywines also focus strongly focus more on the malt bill. Seems a little confusing
  7. Sro1986

Sro1986 Aspirant (25) Virginia Mar 29, 2013

I want to try this so bad... Founders is awesome always
  8. So correct me if I'm wrong but Founders is releasing this on tap at Founders Sunday April 14th? The same day the Day 1 ticket buyers get their 2 bottles? If so it's the opposite of the KBS tap release in that it isn't released at the end of the ticket buying days.
  9. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

Correct. This isn't an annual release and isn't so hyped, so they don't expect to run out in a matter of hours. With KBS, they could go through their Saturday supply by Tuesday if everybody knew they'd have it on tap before the party. I suppose they could just keep more kegs for themselves, but that would mean less kegs for their customers and/or less bottles.
  10. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Which is what I think they should do, but that's just my opinion. But their business model is that KBS cases are used as a reward for their top selling accounts, so they want to have as many in distribution as possible.
  11. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Has anybody received their tickets for this yet? I purchased mine online I don't believe I was sent anything like they did with Brown Paper Tickets. Is it an email that I have to print out?
  12. They were attached to the confirmation email or you could go to the Eventbrite site and download (prob need confirmation number and other info from the email).
  13. Got my 2 bottles from Founders. Had it on tap. It's pretty tasty
  14. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

So what was the official release date for this again?
    I was gonna go beer shopping tomorrow and see if i could find some.
    OnWisconsin likes this.
  15. yup...I got the app on my phone - eventbrite or something like that. They also emailed me to "print them out" if I wanted.
  16. If you didn't buy tickets from Founders it ships next week the 22nd. I'd ask your local beer store if they plan to get some in
  17. I gotta say, the label on that thing looks straight up MS Paint. Would've been awesome if they took inspiration from the video game.
  18. ygolordned

ygolordned Savant (475) Michigan Apr 7, 2013

so pumped for this
  19. Is this going to see any distribution? I haven't yet seen any of it in my area (Upstate SC).
  20. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

monday
  21. Awesome, thanks!
  22. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

Stores in NYC started selling Doom last night. Seems to be extremely limited - 2 cases per store or so. Paid $18.99 at Good Beer.
  23. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

Hand of Doom has been an acclaimed Taproom release of theirs, so it's no surprise it's in the Backstage release lineup. I can't wait to try it....barrel aged Double Trouble. Although I've kept one of each release to age and want to do so with this, losing the hop profile worries me.
  24. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Savant (485) New York Feb 18, 2009

Really curious to know what hop profile is left to begin with - how long was it already barrel-aged? Was it dry-hopped in the barrel? Never having had a barrel-aged DIPA, I'd be curious to know how much hoppiness one should be expecting anyway.
  25. $14.99 in NYC by me. No bottle limit and about 12 left.
  26. Im curious about this too. The 4 months in barrels probbaly de-value the hop profile anyway, dont you think?

Anyone here ever age a BA IPA? Thoughts?
  27. Originally, it was "Hand of Doom" and the tap handle was images of Black Sabbath. \m/
  28. Crookdrain

I'm in Bay Ridge too. What store? 94th or 72nd?
  29. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Yup, dry hopped after being removed from the barrel.
  30. I grew up in Bay Ridge, I dont live there anymore.
  31. It's not that hoppy IMO. I think the bourbon notes are hiding it. starting to get more hops as it opens up, but very well hidden on the front end is what Im getting.
  32. Crookdrain

Care to share (pm is fine) where I can get a bottle of $14.99 Doom?
  33. For someone in bay ridge, sure.
  34. Any sightings/info about MA?
  35. Top Hops had it yesterday too - it was $18.99 I believe. They also had CL's Rosso e Marrone. Im sure that is gone.
  36. JGam115

JGam115 Aficionado (215) New York Apr 8, 2013

For that low, it ain't Eagle Provisions. They were selling bottles of KBS for $12.99/ea when it first came in when nearly every other NYC store had it at $6.99. Losers.

Picked up two bottles today for $17.85/ea. For Manhattan I didn't see it any lower. Had it from the bottle back in March at the Craft Beer Tasting in the Lex. Armory. Really wasn't that impressed and I hope it was because the bottle it was poured from had been open far too long.
  37. Don't age a BA DIPA.

It's still a DIPA.
  38. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Was up at Founders this past weekend for their Black Party. Surprisingly, they had a barrel of Doom on tap- it was their only non-black beer. I believe it is a Bourbon BA Double Trouble. While this was the first 'bourbon' barrel aged IIPA I ever had- I enjoyed it throughly. Thick, frothy but the bourbon covers a majority of the citrus. Any rate, look forward to a another fantastic brew Ladies and Gents.
  39. ygolordned

ygolordned Savant (475) Michigan Apr 7, 2013

anyone finding it in michigan around detroit? most places i went to today said they will not get it till thursday or friday
  40. Got a bottle in charlotte today. 12.99