1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Brewing Co. To Introduce "Doom", A New Barrel-Aged Imperial IPA This Spring

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Got one at Ridgewood in Raleigh for 11.99 yesterday...as always the best price in town.
  2. I wonder if its worth aging or not. I bought a bottle yesterday and will be drinking it this weekend; should I buy another one and put it away for a year or so? Thoughts?
  3. Found it today for $20 per bottle. Left it sitting right where I found it. I can think of better beers to spend $20 on.
  4. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Just grabbed 2 Doom for $11.99 each.

Do I win?
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Haha hey hey- what do you have against Teku glasses?
  6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Sweet, I'll meet you there. I'll be the guy pouring CBS over the glass shards. Feel free to lick it up.
    rails, phooky, Nectar and 2 others like this.
  7. I'd say if you really enjoy the one you have this weekend, given what aging normally does to IPAs/IIPAs, just drink the other one since you know what you're getting. If you just think it's OK, try laying it down for a while and see what you think after 6-12 months.
  8. This hit KC with no noise from any stores at all. Gonna have to go on a scavenger hunt now!!
    CowsandBeer likes this.
  9. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

Picked two of these up at Joe Canals in Rio Grande, NJ today 11.99 per bottle (limit two per costumer) Cant wait to try!
  10. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

bought one here on li. tickers gonna tick.
  11. davec267

davec267 Aspirant (25) Illinois Apr 25, 2013

I got mine at the brewery and had it on tap 4/16. A very good balance and not overly saturated with the bourbon notes. Less carbonation, minimal head. But damn it was good. I am on the hunt for it in stores now. TO THE HUNT!!
  12. davec267

davec267 Aspirant (25) Illinois Apr 25, 2013

BA DT... I gotta get back to the taproom soon for that.
    weonfire likes this.
  13. any coming to Texas specifically Dallas?
  14. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (510) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

I just passed up a bottle ($13.99) in favor of Prairie Hop. I dunno. The idea of BA DIPAs has never really appealed to me. It's kinda like how I enjoy peanut butter and bacon independently. I just don't think I would like them together.
  15. I think this beer was great. I had low expectations for it being a BA IIPA.
  16. Whoops I guess not actually a teku...
  17. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

I bought the Oak Aged Unearthly from Southern Tier, and it was good fresh, and also better after a few months.

And to be honest, it was very similar to my first experience with DOOM, but I will reserve official judgement to a night when I have exclusive DOOM palate....
  18. You're on a roll davey101. 2 for 2 on funny responses...
    davey101 likes this.
  19. Apom

Apom Disciple (60) South Carolina Mar 30, 2013

Double trouble is on my list of founders beers to try, so will definitely have to try the barrel age version because it seems that barrel ago g only makes beer Bette in my opinion.
  20. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Tried it today, wasn't nearly as hot and boozy as I was expecting. Glad I didn't buy it but very glad I tried it.
  21. My local "secret spot" got it wednesday, had one of my regular guys say he would hold 5 bombers for me... Went in last night and surprise surprise... Nothing in the back. Nothing in the front. Nothing any damn where. I am sad boys.
  22. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

many places in GA didn't even get "5 bombers." Many partial case (12) deliveries across the state. Heard rumors of only 12 cases in GA, but I know that is just Savannah Distributing blowing smoke to cover the small allocations each store got....
  23. ^Really??? Wow. I know that the bigger spots in Asheville like Bruisin Ales and Appalachian Vinter got two cases each. I know of one gas station that got one case and my local place got one case. I just had business in Knoxville on Wednesday and couldn't make it when it rolled off the truck... Guess I missed out...
  24. CMoPink

CMoPink Aficionado (130) Michigan Apr 30, 2013

Loved Doom! I don't usually like a lot of hops, but this beer was legit. Went to Founder's and had a couple on tap, I wasn't able to get any bottles thought. Can't wait to drink this beer again! Founder's never disappoints.
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  25. king75

king75 Savant (410) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

I loved this beer. I was disappointed that it was not more hoppy. However, I was very impressed by the smoothness and the balance of this beer. The vanilla nodes and bourbon flavor balanced perfectly with the balanced smoothness of Double Trouble. Got two bottles, I've had one can't wait to drink the other.
  26. mhjets

mhjets Aficionado (120) Colorado Jun 17, 2009

Scored one at Haskell's in downtown Minneapolis last weekend by pure chance for $13.99. Wasn't even aware this was coming out but it was flying off the shelves, so I figured why not!
  27. This beer just kicked my ass on tap. Bottle was just as good, and definitely made me appreciate barrel aged DIPA's. Smooth like a woman's butt.
    steebo777 and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

29. Prob not. The bourbon isn't that huge to begin with, and the hops will only diminish with time (even though it is 10%). It will probably be pretty diminished in terms of flavor in a year. I'd crack it open no later than 4-6 months from now.

Cheers!
  30. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

No.
  31. Definitely an interesting brew.
  32. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

This beer was just so fucking good. it is the quintessential beer nerd beer but got dammit founders now everyones gonna make em and... they just wont be as good.
  33. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

Currently have 3 bottles left. A big Bud/Miller/Coors spot by me has a huge craft selection and always get limited releases in. As of today (9/4/13), they still have a few bottles left. I may as well buy the stock out. It's been sitting for this long...
    mychalg9 likes this.
  34. t_shaw

t_shaw Zealot (90) North Carolina Feb 1, 2013

has anyone had one recently? i picked up one 3 weeks ago just cause it was still there & the last one but its been holed up in the fridge ever since. wondering what if its still worth it.
  35. I had one 2 weeks ago, the hop bite has faded some, but its still decent for what it is a bourbon barrel IPA. If you haven't had it, hell buy one and try it, the worse that can happen is you get drunk.
  36. t_shaw

t_shaw Zealot (90) North Carolina Feb 1, 2013

awesome. ive had it, look forward to another!
  37. CaseyB23

CaseyB23 Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I had one Monday. It's definitely mellowed. I rather enjoy the beer for what it is.
  38. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I would buy another if I could find one in IL. Anyone seen it around?
  39. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

If you're looking for one, I have plenty and there are still some in a store by me. Trade? I'm looking for some Three Floyds Zombie Dust, if you can get any...
  40. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Time to open my bottle!
    mychalg9 likes this.