1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders coming in 2nd Q

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Krumb, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

I don't have a link - there ain't one ;-). But I've heard it from the source. Close friend with BEK says they closed the deal yesterday. Says they're hoping for April. Great news.

johnnieoz and mattisloco like this.
  2. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (345) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I'll believe it when its in my fridge

3. Krumb

Fair enough. Just wanted to share.

blatherbeard likes this.
  4. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Lol, I was coming on here to post the same thing. I just heard the same thing from a "reliable" source but wanted to make sure it was "public" info before I posted anything. No idea what they will carry though. Any Founders will be good Founders, I never dreamed of the day I would be able to get FBS at my local store. F yeah! I'm not getting my hopes up but it would be badass to see the Blackwater series here as well or KBS or Backwoods Bastard.

Exiled, mattisloco and Krumb like this.
  5. Krumb

I wonder if we know the same people. He told me yesterday to stay silent until public...and then just texted me to say his boss gave him the okay to speak about it.

cfh64 likes this.
  6. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

I assume Texas?

7. cfh64

Not sure if its for all of TX or just Dallas.

8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Blackwater is Southern Tier.

KBS we will just miss it looks like. :( It's one of my favorite beers and easily top 2 of my barrel aged stouts.

9. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

This Dallas only shit is getting reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal old.

HoustonZ33 and johnnieoz like this.
  10. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Hah, I was told not to say anything. Confirmed from another source.

Krumb likes this.
  11. DanzBorin

This, this, and extra this!

They need to get off the 1981 assumption that Dallas is the only city in this state.

It's not even the largest city in this state...

12. DanzBorin

All of TX?

13. cfh64

Shit, you're absolutely right. Don't know what I was thinking, f'in amateur mistake. Thanks for the correction. Meant Backstage but I'll take some sweet ass Creme Brulee and Pumpking as well.

14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

[​IMG]

I'm gonna be really annoyed if this is Dallas-only though. I'm willing to give some to Houston as long as this makes its' way to Austin ;)

For now... grains of salt. Although completely believable.

Now if only Bell's would make their way out here... I'll have everything I could've possibly wanted living on the East Coast (minus Yuengling, which I can live without). Bell's Amber, baby.

15. DanzBorin

Well, rumors keep surfacing that we'll get ST as well too, so I'll give you a pass. I'll take Backstage over Blackwater, but don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to get both. ;)

cfh64 likes this.
  16. Lutter

I don't think Southern Tier is a rumor. I've heard that numerous times over the past month or two. April. Like, from more than one bottle shop owner and I wasn't even asking.

17. DanzBorin

My head may explode in April...

And if Austin gets shut out, I'll help you mule some brews!

18. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

Wow, amazing news. With that said I'm going to Missouri next week, if I'm not mistaken they have Founders, Bells and Firestone-Walker, might be worth picking up a few, I have a business trip planned for April going to Indiana, I'll need to get some 3 Floyds

19. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

The more beer the better....but I rather ST than Founders....

20. aschwab

Founders, Bells and FW are all up there. But with FW in TX this month (or next), no real point in grabbing them.

The selection was fairly decent in the beer store I hit up in south KC. Stillwater had some good bottles there.

21. cfh64

I agree, anyone remember the bottle I mentioned over a year ago? They had already switched labels to say "ale in TX". I'm not sure if they have taken that off the labels since then but they obviously put it on there at one point for a reason.

mattisloco likes this.
  22. DanzBorin

I get opinions, but I can't imagine picking ST over Founders.

Hopefully we are all happy! :D

cfh64 likes this.
  23. DanzBorin

I'd grab any FW that comes out of a barrel. I doubt we'll see that for a while in TX.

cfh64 likes this.
  24. Lutter

The one thing with BEK that worries me is that they're the ones that are currently cock-blocking Austin on Rodenbach, which is only in Dallas.

Two VERY different brands though, lol.

25. aschwab

Maybe that I have had more of ST's specialty beers and only the standard Founders.

26. Lutter

I thought Southern Tier's Choklat what freakin' amazing when I had it at our last Austin bottle share.

That's said, people seem to like that Breakfast stuff. :)

I'm a big fan of Founders barrel-aged stuff.

blatherbeard likes this.
  27. DanzBorin

That could mean something.

The thing is, it's nice that Founders sells 4 packs of specialty beers.

Backwoods Bastard
    KBS
    FBS
    Curmudgeon
    Double Trouble

The only 750s they do are the backstage series.

And I would never complain about Centennial IPA being on the shelf. :)

Sadly Red's Rye isn't year round any more...

28. aschwab

I have had the Centennial (still have some in my fridge) and Double Trouble but neither really stood out.

29. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Good luck. Parabola in KCMO at least sold out in like 2 hours last summer.

But Hopslam and possibly Black Note are rumored to be potentially dropping in MO next week.

31. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

This whining about Dallas only shit is getting reeeeeeeal old. ;)

32. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I thought Founders was having a hard time keeping up with their current distribution? This makes no sense and I don't believe it.

That said hopefully it happens, I doubt we'll get KBS in 2014 but the time frame would be right for us to have distribution when they release CBS again, even though we definitely won't get that. Oh well I will be happy with Porter, FBS and Backwoods Bastard.

33. DanzBorin

They are doing a HUGE expansion. Will make their output way larger.

Ford likes this.
  34. Lutter

Cats need their milk!

35. DanzBorin

Easy to say when for some reason that city gets non local breweries distributed when the rest of the state doesn't. I can't think of any other city that has that perk.

Metro AREA. And as anyone up there can attest, the whole area isn't exactly treated like one city.

Hell, people that live in one suburb often won't even drive 2 towns over (you know, 3 miles) to do anything. I often felt like the DFW mantra is, "If I can't see it from my front door, I'm not interested in going". For wanting to be thought of as one big happy family, you guys don't like each other that much.

36. cfh64

I kinda get Houston whining but I have absolutely no sympathy for Austinites (no offense). Austin has how many breweries? How many brew pubs? Franklins, Draught House, Whip In, etc. Suck it Austin, I'll trade places with you guys anyday (no offense to Dallas).

37. Lutter

We also drink more beer than anyone else in the state per capita. ;)

38. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Also easy to say when there's a bigger concentration of GOOD local breweries compared to Dallas. We do have them, but not on the same quantity and quality as Austin and Houston. I think that's why some of these bigger craft brands are trying to capitalize on the metroplex.

Pure theorycrafting aside, it's not like it's hard to get someone to bring you beer across a city. Or wait for some kind of big event to travel, etc.

39. cfh64

Thank God for 6th street, college kids and BMC (not really) but I'm sure those 3 elements help pad your stats ;)

BruceBruce likes this.
  40. Founders Harvest is awesome too, and Centennial IPA is nothing to sneeze at.