1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders coming to CA

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tjensen3618, May 15, 2012.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Pretty funny, but torchnoodle is right. I hate to be a spoil sport, but see if this looks familiar:

(and guess what? We're still waiting!)

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:54 AM
    To: Michaelsen, John
    Subject: RE: Distribution expansion question

Hello John –
    We do hope to distribute to MD sometime in the future, but unsure of the exact timing. MD is on our radar. Thank you for your continued patience!

Cheers!

Michelle Stevenson | HR
    Founders Brewing Company
    [email protected]
    616/776-3526 - direct line
    616/706-5883 - cell
    616/301-0475 - fax

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:30 PM
    To: info
    Subject: Distribution expansion question

I saw an article a month or so back indicating that with the brewery expansion, we could expect to see Founders beer in Maryland sometime this year (initially in Spring, but last I heard, it sounded as if early summer might be more realistic). Anyway, I was just hoping you might be able to give me an update on when we might be able to expect to see your beer out here.

In the meantime I’ll continue to buy Founder’s beers in DC and Pa., but needless to say, I’m looking forward to the day when I can find your beer here at home in my local beer bar, tavern or restaurant.

Cheers!

John Michaelsen
    Baltimore, Maryland
  2. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Hey, we're just trying to keep up! Michigan already gets Anderson Valley, Bear Republic, 21st Amendment, Moylan's, Lagunitas, Stone, North Coast and many others from CA. Literally the only MI beer we get here is Jolly Pumpkin. If you want to talk fair, you'll not only have to start sending us Founders but also Bells, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn and Arcadia. :p
  3. Not to mention he can drive to Chicago and experience most of what he's looking for down there. Heck they even get Deschutes now. As for Bruery, that gets sent to any state you want, you just need a trustee first.
  4. also, 21st Amendment doesn't even make it down to SoCal anymore
  5. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

if it makes you feel better they didn't distro to Sacramento until last year.
  6. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

One of my favorite breweries... Love their beers. I'm VERY excited! I understand I will need to trade for their limited releases still, but if I can get their Porter on the regular, I'm a happy man! :)
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Hey, Michigan doesn't even get Kuhnhenn, so hands off. ;)
  8. That's funny, because when I was in NYC THEY had Kuhnhen on tap.
    Levitation likes this.
  9. I know, what's up with that?
  10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

It's not funny its pathetic.
    woodchopper likes this.
  11. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

In general, this sort of thing tends to happen more often that most BAs realize unless you travel frequently. Kuhnhenn limited releases will hit NYC, and plenty of small batch CA releases will hit various accounts around the country with us in CA receiving little to none of it. I feel I've been far more likely to stumble onto things like Anderson Valley Port Barrel Stout, Bear Republic Sour Crazy Ivan or Firestone Cognac Barrel Double DBA in Las Vegas, Chicago, Kansas City, Philly or NYC than here. It is what it is.
  12. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Just heard a hot rumor that Founders is actively in talks with a bay area distributor to send their beers to at least the bay. I wont believe it until I see it, but i did here it from two seperate people within the company who I trust.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  13. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

It shows up repeatedly here, usually with the "keg left over from CBC" qualifier. But I've had it well after CBC. No KBS, but their more standard beers.They dist in AZ right? Not a long drive if someone really wants to offer it.
  14. I just contacted Founders via email anout a week ago asking about distribution to CA and they said no plans but things can change.

I am not getting my hopes up other than maybe in a few years.
  15. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

No, Missouri is the closest state that gets Founders, or at least was as of August 21, 2012. Source.
  16. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

for some reason seekabrew shows that they distribute to NV. Anyone know if they did in the past? I'm in NV all the time (vegas/reno) and have never seen any Founders there.
  17. I think you're thinking of Bell's.
  18. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Having sex with Scarlett Jo...... Is on my radar
    Swervine44 likes this.
  19. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

20. I'm moving to the East Bay in a month from Chicago. Being able to still get my Founders regs would be fantastic. I'll drink breakfast stout all day long.

Even if they do distro to CA forget about getting KBS. We can't even get it in Chicago unless you got connections. I was lucky to get 2 bottles last year and I have a ton of connections with buyers. Last year was nuts. This beer thing is getting outa hand.
  21. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

I wish it were Bell's. Especially if it was Two Hearted, which I can only read about. But it's been Founders, and on at least three or four occasions, at random times of the year, it's showed up at the same spot.
  22. "They dist in AZ right? Not a long drive if someone really wants to offer it"

I was just replying to the AZ report, I've heard of Founders kegs showing up in CA. Bell's in AZ was one of the joys of my trip there in 2010, though the greatest of Odell IPA was my big find.