1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

[​IMG]

Per Founders' Facebook, this is on the line today. Will be available March - April.

One thing to note is that the label looks slightly different this year based on this pic. It used to say "Old" on top, "Curmudgeon" in the middle, and "Ale" on bottom, hence why people always called it "Old Curmudgeon" instead of just "Curmudgeon".

Also, am I just the most unobservant person ever, or did it not used to say "brewed with molasses and oak aged"? I didn't have it in my head that this was an oak aged beer.

Regardless, this is one of my favorites from them, and I'm excited to get my hands on some.

http://instagram.com/p/UoMOiQov-B/

2. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (465) New York Jan 13, 2012

Had this beer for the first time late in 2012, can't say it was a favorite of mine from Founders.

tectactoe likes this.
  3. Got one in the cellar. Looking forward to trying it this winter.

4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. Had this one on tap last year. It was definitely good, but I wouldn't go to great lengths to seek this one out. If I happen to be browsing a store and it's just sitting on the shelves, I'd probably snag a pack, though.

5. From memory, the 2012 and earlier labels have indicated that it was brewed with molasses, but I don't remember anything about it being oak aged.

6. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Just pulled a bottle from my cellar and all last year's label said was curmudgean old ale so thats new.

7. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I happen to see a 2012 4pk still on the shelves at a local hole in the wall liquor store last night. Couldnt pull the trigger at 16.99, as I have been quite broke with all the other good stuff(Hopslam, Blacknote, and Double DC) flowing in Chicago right now

8. delicious brew! aged and fresh

Kadonny likes this.
  9. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Anyone else feel like 2012 just came out? Maybe that's because the stores near me are swimming in it still. Seriously between this and Breakfast stout its hard to move around the store! Good brew but not up to the level of the rest of their "specialty" brews.

mcrago likes this.
  10. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

haven't had the chance to try this one yet...looking forward to it. It's Founders, so gotta at least try it...

11. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I like the fact that it's not as popular as FIS or Backwoods. More for me, and a better chance to get it pre-aged a few months down the line. :)

Hopsiam14, Craigory and Blueribbon666 like this.
  12. 1Sundown2C

You feel this way because it was a later release in 2012 than it will be in 2013, Founders rearranged their specialty releases. I wish they were releasing Double Trouble instead right now!

Jfriz25 likes this.
  13. 1Sundown2C

I do like the label though.

14. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

Always look forward to this coming out. I usually buy at least a 4pk each year. One of those beers that is wonderful both aged and fresh

Hopsiam14, Blueribbon666 and Bay01 like this.
  15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

You and me both. I'll never understand why people don't appreciate this beer as much as I do, but trust me I'm not complaining.

16. I hope some Better Half comes along soon as well.

17. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

didn't much like curmudgeon fresh, but i had a 9 month old one a couple days ago and it was great. i also had a better half last night and it was still great (TONS of sediment though).

18. I love Double Trouble, but I can't wait to drink it in the warm weather. Curmudgeon is perfect for the cold months.

Rimbimhoot likes this.
  19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

CAN'T WAIT!!

20. Yeah, there's definitely still 4 packs of the '12 floating around in the city. I have a feeling when I go get some fresh I'll succumb to the temptation to buy some of last years' so I can drink them side-by-side.

21. i saw some in a bottle shop in Traverse City in early December. Lots

22. ^ this

23. Funny. Every trade I have received lately has both of these beers thrown in as "extras".

24. Just picked up a 4 pack 2 weeks ago, it was bottled in April 2012. First time having it and I thought it was really good. Lots of sediment floating in the glass. Complex flavor.
    The label does say it is an "old ale brewed with molasses and aged on oak" on the labels.
    [​IMG]

25. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Traveling through Iowa today and saw tons of it. Also saw a lot of Backwoods Bastard still on the shelves, less one case.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  26. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Bring on the Curmudgeon. A fantastic brew. I like most Founders stuff and this is one that hits the spot

27. So true. I know a store in my town still has a case from last year. Who knows ... Maybe it's even from the year before.

28. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

This beer gets better with every year of age.
    My 07s are awesome.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  29. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I wish we could still find BWB on the shelves here is Chicago :(

30. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

I think Founders needs to recalibrate their distribution system because stuff like RIS, Backwoods, Bolt Cutter (any Back Stage), and Harvest flew off the shelf in SE WI even with fairly strict bottle limits yet there are always stories of people finding a ton of all of these at multiple shops in certain markets. Sour grapes sure, but frustrating none the less.

JRBecks, taxman and AaronRodgersMVP12 like this.
  31. I just recently starting drinking this beer. For some reason, I never bothered with it even though I love most of Founders other stuff.

Anyway, this has turned into a favorite of mine. I love it! A nice change of pace from a barleywine, but still really drinkable for an old ale. Love it fresh!

32. this was the beer that I first googled and it brought me to BeerAdvocate. Yay!

33. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

Speaking of sediment-it's more like a slimey worm. I have never seen anything like it and I have had alot of different beers. Anybody else notice the very unique sediment in this beer after ageing a bit?

34. Having another one now and it sure is a really different beer, the alcohol really needs to mellow out too, but the flavor is crazy.

Bay01 likes this.
  35. This is a pretty fine beer. It tastes like a light version of Backwoods Bastard. I wouldn't say it is as good as Backwoods but it is a nice alternative considering Backwoods is gone relatively quickly in November and Curmudgeon hangs around a bit

36. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I like Curmudgeon

37. Fuck Yes. I had this on tap for the first time last year. It was excellent.

38. 1Sundown2C

I agree. While I enjoy being able to get any of Founders' seasonal offerings whenever I want, I can't help but think that those beers could be enjoyed by someone in a less fortunate location where their beers are either less common or unavailable altogether. There is still Harvest on the shelves of a nearby distro, not to mention last years Double Trouble, Devil Dancer, and 2011 Imperial Stout. Now those poor hops will never be enjoyed by anyone :(

EDIT: Although, the ability to have a vertical of the stout at any given moment is nice

39. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (350) Illinois Nov 13, 2011

My bottle last year had that exactly. It tasted good, but I stopped drinking when I felt a gooey clump on my tongue. I didn't see it in my glass, but boy did my gag reflex start when I pulled it out and it looked like snot. I wasn't sure if it was sediment or a bad bottle, but it went down the drain.

40. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

I just checked my readily checkable bottles dated 04/06/2012 and 04/04/11 and neither have the "old ale brewed with molassas and oak aged" lines below the Curmudgean name. Possible they switched lables part way through the 2012 bottling???