1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Curmudgeon

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Gcarns, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

Wondering how well this ages. I have one from last year and I dont know whether I should keep aging it or try it next to this years batch. Anyone have any insight?

2. BlueMusic

BlueMusic Aspirant (40) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

One of my favorite beers and always better with a year on it. I have had up to three years old (last March) and it was good enough that I still have one that is four years old that I plan to open soon.

3. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

6 months to a year and its good to go. Its gets more "English" with age if you know what I mean. The marmalade notes come front and center.

4. So much better aged. Just had a bottle from the '12 release recently, it was awesome. I have many more in the cellar awaiting their time....I won't even drink a '13 fresh.

Underrated beer by Founders. Age this, and it's as good as anything they release that isn't barrel aged.

5. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

It's great fresh and even better aged, stock up.

6. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

This is good to know. I grabbed two 4pk's on Saturday and plan on holding on to a few to cellar. I could taste that this would be something good in a year or so. Looking forward to even 6 months.

7. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

Thanks for all the info everyone I will be aging it more

8. I picked up a 4 pack today and am planning to age two of them. I noticed on the 4pack holder it says 'Keep Refrigerated'. Is that a concern? Should I age it in my beer fridge instead?

9. I've only had it aged on tap, I think it was 2 years old and it was delicious, so I have a few packs aging away. I don't care much for it fresh.

10. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

In the last week I've had it both fresh and with a year on it and the one with a year definitely suited my tastes way more than the fresh bottle did. I have 7 more bottles from this latest batch and all 7 are going to the cellar.

11. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Just keep it under 60F and out of the light and you'll be fine if you're only holding onto it for a year or two.

12. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Had a fresh one and a year old one with a great friend of mine a few weeks ago and the aged one blew us both away. It's for certain i'll be buying these yearly only to drink them a year after purchase.

13. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Savant (415) New Jersey Aug 21, 2012

Just had a 2011 and it was delicious. So smooth, agree with the commenter above that it was more "English" tasting

14. smokeypeat

smokeypeat Savant (280) Maryland Jan 23, 2010

Agree with all of the people saying age this. Just had a 10/11/12/fresh. The 2011 was my clear favorite with the 2012 in 2nd. 2010 had started to go around the bend just a hair (slightly oxidized). I think the sweet spot for this beer is 18-24 months. All of these beers were in a basement that doesn't go above 65 in the summer but no refrigeration at any point until drinking day.

15. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

yeah, curmudgeon really needs a minimum of 6 months to develop. but when it does, it's reeeeeeal nice.

16. Same here. In DC....11 and 13 side by side. I used to think (Fresh) Curmudgeon was good. After trying the 11 I now refuse to drink Curmudgeon with less than 2 years on it. It was amazing,.