1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Devil Dancer - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Saw this today for $23 per 4/pk. I've read on here that it can be found for $20 per 4/pk.

I've never had Devil Dancer, but I'm inclined to think Heady Topper is as good as it gets, and even that doesn't cost $5 per 12oz. Apparently, Devil Dancer costs almost as much as I paid for PtY on draft. Why?

I don't want to knock it until I try it, but with beers like Hi-Res, Dirtwolf, or Jai Alai floating around for half the price (and even Enjoy By is cheaper at about $8 per 25.4 oz), why should I pay that much for Devil Dancer?

Edit* It occurs to me that this may be more of a DFH 120-minute kind of IPA than a Heady Topper kind of IPA. Is that the case? Does that justify the price tag?
    Unphased and Greywulfken like this.
  2. seems excessive. I think it's around $13 when I see it. Definitely not more thatn $17. definitely more of a mini 120 minute. really hoppy but also malty sweet. The price tag is only justified if thats your glass of beer. I'm not a big fan of 120 except for sipping on on rare occasions.
  3. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

In my opinion that is the case. It's not the kind of beer you're going to have two of. Not as extreme as 120, but I feel it has more in common with 120 than it does with the DIPA's you listed. Personally I wouldn't buy a 4pk. One sure. Or look for it on draft.
  4. It's a 12% abv beer. More of a barleywine than IPA. That's my guess anyway.
    cigarchitect likes this.
  5. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Its not remotely justified. Devil Dancer is terrible in my opinion.
  6. Now you're getting it. I wouldn't buy DFH 120min, but Devil Dancer is a nice beer IMHO.
    theandychrist likes this.
  7. How have you been a member since 2010 and not seen all of the other posts about this? I have no idea why Devil Dancer gets this much attention... It's mediocre at best and in my opinion not anywhere near worth the price tag (actually it sucks imo). Sorry if I come off as a jerk, I don't mean to. :cool:

8. I agree. One of the worst beers I've ever had really. Tasted like onions.
  9. Scanned the most recent thread on Devil Dancer, but I was focusing more on price with this one. Surprisingly, a search of the "Beer Talk" forum for threads with "Devil Dancer" in the title only come up with four threads other than this one.

My point with this thread was to discuss how Founders even justifies that price tag, considering better beers can be had for less. If it's a matter of how much the ingredients cost, then maybe Founders needs to reconsider why it's spending so much money to brew a beer that isn't very good.
    Unphased likes this.
  10. I got mine for. For me its worth it for one 4 pack a year. Not worth it top buy multiples
    Unphased, Geuzedad and ScottRansom like this.
  11. Makes a great onion soup base.
  12. I passed on it last year for the price. I'll pass on it next year because I expected it to be much more....112 ibu's?? Pfffftt!
  13. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

To each his own. Personally, I'm having a hard time not drinking mine :p I only recommend it to big fans of hoppy strongs/barleywines (Stone OG) , but still, you never know.

It also tastes much juicier and a little thinner to me than any barleywine I've had. Very rich with spicy and citrusy flavors. For the gravity, it drinks very easily to me. And not that it really matters, but it might be my favorite looking pour. Cheers
    [​IMG]
    JxExM, nswan, Bigtwin and 16 others like this.
  14. I usually buy one 4 pack. I usually have one fresh, cellar one or two or give one or two to a friend(s).
    end_27, Unphased and ScottRansom like this.
  15. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Well, see, Founders might not believe that better beers can be had for less, nor that their beer isn't very good.
    Unphased likes this.
  16. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Savant (315) Arizona Nov 24, 2013

Can't believe its Founders causing that price. I picked up my four for $12.49.
  17. I just realized i forgot the price. it was 19.99
  18. Sunn

Sunn Savant (400) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

Devil Dancer's a huge, ridiculous beer. I found it for the first time last year and it was $22.99. I've never had it, and being a huge IPA fan having the chance to try a Founders TIPA that's 12% and 112 IBUS tickled my privates a little bit. I didn't know anything about it, really, so I thought it was going to be the greatest thing of all time.

It's good, that's it, in my opinion. It's insane in good and bad ways, but it was still good overall. I'm glad I had the chance to try a 4-pack, but I wouldn't buy it again. I've hardly seen anybody freak out about a Devil Dancer release, there's no real "hype" behind the beer, and every year the majority of users say it's OK/terrible. For some reason, though, it's priced the same as a 4-pack of KBS I got the same day, and KBS is legendary.

I don't get it. If they're spending that much money on ingredients to charge that much, then they need to get rid of it. I doubt it would be a beer that would be missed by many.
    upsbeernut, tkdchampxi and StLeasy like this.
  19. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Devil Dancer and Heady Topper are not comparable products.
  20. Despite all the negative commenting about it I still want to try it for myself but not at $20/4-pack
    Unphased and tkdchampxi like this.
  21. This is the answer. Different beasts. I've never had Devil Dancer, but I don't think I'm all that intrigued by it, especially for the price. Maybe I'll grab a single or something just to try it, but not really crazy about a 4 pack.

Oh, and @tkdchampxi - I dk where you are in NJ, but I saw it at Liquor Outlet in Boonton yesterday - pretty sure it was 19.99. Still high, but less than what you saw it for.
    Unphased likes this.
  22. StLeasy

You may think that they need to get rid of it, obviously (and thankfully :) ) Founders does not agree. Both KBS and DD are in their "Limited" (highest) price tier, along with Harvest Ale and now Backwoods Bastard.

It's not much more expensive than the beers I find most comparable- Stone OG and Double Bastard (at $8-9/650mL) and in line with plenty of $10/650-750mL barleywine/strongs I've tried. As I said in an earlier post, it also tastes much juicier and hoppier than those to me, both fresh and down the road.

I'm sure there are more than a few people, who like me, bought as much as possible. Straight (i.e. not barrel aged) strongs/barleywines aren't the most popular style, but the fans all seem to be BIG fans.
    zp6167a and Sunn like this.
  23. Tex_hex

Tex_hex Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 26, 2014

I'm curious if the people that thought dd was "oniony" drank it from the tap or the bottle. Haven't had it from the bottle yet but I have had it on draft and thought it was tasty. Then again, at $20 per 4 pk, I might never try it from the bottle.
  24. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

If Devil Dancer is $13 for a four pack in your neck of the woods then someone is losing money with every four pack. It costs retailers about $15 per four pack.
    cnbrown313, JEck_88, Unphased and 6 others like this.
  25. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Like I said above, it costs retailers about $15 a four pack so any store selling it for less than that is losing money with each transaction. My guess is that they (the store that had it priced so low) priced it like they would Breakfast Stout or Rubaeus, thinking it was just another Founders seasonal.
    Unphased, mackeyse and StLeasy like this.
  26. Sunn

Sunn Savant (400) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

Oh yeah, there's no denying Devil Dancer has a following behind it. As you can tell I'm definitely not one of those people haha. I'm not sure what you pay for a 4-pack in your area, but with tax I'm paying almost 25 bucks for a 4-pack in my area for a beer that's just plain-old good (in my opinion). Saying that Founders should get rid of it was a bit of a stretch, but for the price I have to pay I'd like a TIPA that completely blows me out of the water.

Then again, all taste buds are different, so I have no reason to say it's not worth it or it's not good. Like you said, the fans are BIG fans. I saw a dude almost have a panic attack when he found out it wasn't going to be coming this year to the bottle shop I go to. If it was 16-17 bucks I'd have no problem giving it a shot every year, because maybe I'd have a "WOW" moment, but the price it is around here isn't wowing me at all.
    Unphased and StLeasy like this.
  27. I believe it's $20/4 pack around me, I'll pass at that price. I see some people offering it up as trade bait, is this not readily available elsewhere? Sits on the shelves for most of the year near me.
    Unphased likes this.
  28. JGLittle

JGLittle Savant (290) Massachusetts Mar 24, 2012

Saw it today in Western Mass for $22.49 or so a 4 pack. I bought a 4 pack of KBS for the same price.
  29. I have not enjoyed devil dancer fresh. I did age a bottle for about a year and did like it quite a bit more. Fresh, it was too boozy. I think I agree with HRamz3 as IMHO it reminds me of 120. I just like 120 a lot more.
  30. Devil Dancer seems a little outdated to me.
  31. I've liked this year's Devil Dancer quite a bit. And while it has a strong malt backbone, I would definitely not call it overly sweet. I do think those comparing it to DFH 120 minute are on the right track.

As for cost; while it is expensive, it's certainly still a good deal cheaper by the ounce than a lot of the 750ml bottles that many members on this site have no problem shelling out for.
    tkdchampxi, Fargrow and REDSOXIPAGUY like this.
  32. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

Not worth it, yup, drink Dirtwolf instead.
    jelllo likes this.
  33. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Savant (340) Missouri Jan 19, 2013

I'm a fan, but would gladly shoot you a 2013 and 2014 if you want. send me a PM.
  34. StLeasy

Do you genuinely think the two are comparable flavor-wise?
    famousmortimer likes this.
  35. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

Actually Backwoods Bastard and Harvest Ale are in a cheaper tier, alongside Imperial Stout and the like. On tap, BB is priced about the same as KBS, while Harvest is priced with Imperial Stout and Rubæüs. This, of course, is subject to change based on what retailers decide to charge.
  36. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

No, but I've had DD ever since it's been available in my state, and for price to flavor, I'd go DW. If you like DD, go for it, I just think it sux; fresh or aged. 'Specially for the price.
  37. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (630) Louisiana May 18, 2012

As far as "triple" IPA's go (IMO Barleywines) this falls in the bottom of the pack of the few I've had, behind Knee Deep Simtra, 120 minute, Sixpoint Hi Res, and Green Flash Green Bullet. That's not to say it's bad, just not a beer I will go out of my way to drink.
  38. StLeasy

As much as I wish this were true.. :p
    [​IMG]

Harvest and BB have been a little cheaper in the past, but unfortunately that is a thing of the past.

Exactly, so why say "Not worth it. Drink DW"? ;)

Like I've said a couple of times, I really enjoy it. It's about $20 more per case than Stone Old Guardian and Double Bastard (less than $1 more per 12oz) and as much as I enjoy those two, I really enjoy Devil Dancer and gladly pay for that juicy dry-hop. Of course I wish it were cheaper, but then I'd have to worry even more about people like me buying up multiple cases :p Cheers
    Unphased likes this.
  39. Picking some up this weekend. Should be interesting.
    Vukusich likes this.
  40. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I thought it was decent, and was happy to be able to find it compared to a lot of other hyped beers these days.
    Matthew1788, luwak and Unphased like this.