1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Doom....I've never been so wrong!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bobhits, Apr 29, 2013.

1. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

I've had a few barrel aged IPAs, I can't call all of them but I've had more than a couple and I've had barrel aged barley wines and they're iffy at best often. So lets just say going into Doom I was expecting to have an "experience" but mostly I was just ticking off a sorta hard to get beer from a brewer with imo a less than stellar record on their beers sold in large format bottles.

All that said and my expectations being I'd hate this beer....HOLY CRAP this is good. Easily one of the best beers I've had this year and honestly hands down the best beer in this series by founders, CBS mind you imo is maybe their worst stout (which isn't an insult in that company) but really I've been debating just giving up on founders expensive ass bottles but I've been sold on this one. The only problem is I'm not sure I'll be able to get another bottle. A huge tip of a cap and cheers to the brewers for this one!

2. I too was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It worked a lot better than I expected. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it's the best Backstage beer since CBH.

3. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Hey, look at that.... you're wrong again.... everything is circular.

*the above is merely my opinion of what many believe is a fine beer

4. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (330) New York Oct 28, 2010

Drinking it right now. Agreed. Better than I thought it would be. Not overly Bourbon taste like some stouts. Very good.

5. I am a huge Founders fan. This one was not my favorites and I thought bourbon way overwhelmed the Double Trouble. I appreciated it for it's uniqueness but a fellow BA and myself felt that we "checked" this one off and will share our other bottle with someone who hasn't had one.

A local brewer (Olde Hickory) barrel aged their DIPA in oak and imparted flavor that was not so overwhelming.

Looking forward to the next mystery release and all the regulars from Founders.

blivingston1985 and tobin like this.
  6. I was disappointed. The bourbon overpowered the double IPA. Im glad I got a chance to try it though.

7. I will also agree.
    I was very skeptical going in, but I absolutely love what the BB brings to the table.
    You lose quite a bit of the hop bite on the finish, but it's a fair trade for what it's bringing to the party on the front end.

Hoptown likes this.
  8. bobhits

honestly all I got from the bourbon barrel was vanilla sweetness and thankfully this beer tasted nothing like double trouble does in a bottle (imo still the biggest drop any beer suffers from draft to bottle). It's just great and I really didn't get much bourbon or heat in the beer.

Very possible it is a inconsistent beer which makes me wish I had a second bottle to make sure I'm wright in how GREAT this one was!

9. tobin

tobin Aficionado (185) Michigan Nov 22, 2009

Good beer, but for the price I would rather have a quality 4/6 pack

DStoked likes this.
  10. I thought it was perty good. IMO DooM could have been World Class with another dose of fresh hops just before bottling.
    I poured some fresh draft Double Trouble over my last four ounces. Killer!!

BigJim5021 likes this.
  11. bobhits

Certain flavor combinations are just impossible without doing expensive things. Really hoppy beer costs more than less hoppy beer. Putting a beer in a bourbon barrel again is expensive. Imperial costs more than non. The beer was clearly too much money but for how unique and different it was...I'd rather have that beer once than any of the 4-6 packs I've already had. Isn't that the point of having unique beers? To trying something youve' never had and yea it costs more to make unique beers that might not sell so you make less of. It's not like the billion 10+ imperial IPAs all over the place that are all ok to maybe good.

tobin likes this.
  12. MasterfulIdiot

MasterfulIdiot Savant (255) Georgia Sep 15, 2010

Way to rub it in guys.... :(

ressling and SSEngelbrecht like this.
  13. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

yamar68, a highly respected BA, certified beer connoisseur and prolific beer trader who eats reuben pizza that made me drool one day said Doom tastes like a bourbon shit smells. I'm not sure who to believe.

14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Cha-ching!
    [​IMG]
    I love it, too - I gave it a 4.5-something!

Try Burton Baton (from DFH) for a similar experience (BBA DIPA)...

15. tobin

tobin Aficionado (185) Michigan Nov 22, 2009

I'm not bashing Doom by any means, this is the first barrel aged IIPA I've had, and I paid for that experience. I love most things that Founders does, however instead of buying a 750ml of Doom for $14 I would much rather have say... Backwoods Bastard. It was definitely a unique experience, but not one I will seek out. I apparently like my bourbon beers in the stout/olde ale category

16. I called all over Kentucky and the only place that had Doom was an hour and a half away so, I packed up the family on away we went in search of Doom...I love Double Trouble and just couldnt wait to get my hands on it, we arrived in Puducah, Ky... I walked in and asked ''a bottle of Founders Doom please'' the man at the counter said all the Doom we have is reserved for other customer so I said '' I called earlier and u guys said u had it and I said I'm on my way'' he said '' who did you talk to'' I said I believe that lady there and she remembered me and said she was sry she didn't know it was a ''Special Beer''. Needless to say I did not get a bottle of Doom that day or any day since :( but, I did get a Three Floyds Arctic Panzer wolf, Double Trouble 4 pack, Left Hand Twin Sisters, Rye of the Tiger 6 PK, and Dark Horse variety IPA 12 pack so, it wasn't a complete waste:).

jgluck and craigo19 like this.
  17. bobhits

I don't get the backwoods love, it's nice and I'm glad to have had it but doom to me a a whole other level. Now KBS....Doom can go away :)

Either way fair enough I agree there's better beer for the money but for what I can get I've had it...I love new flavors and new things so bring on new and creative small batch excitement!

18. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

That beer will haunt my dreams for the foreseeable future.

GeckoPunk and Gosox8787 like this.
  19. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Founders let me down with KBS and did it again with Doom. At least there's always breakfast stout.

20. Dope

Dope Advocate (575) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

You lost me here.

(Yes, I know you said "imo", this is tongue in cheek) :D

Dope

21. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

Burton Baton isn't bourbon barrel aged. It's a DIPA blended with an old ale and then aged in oak tanks for a month. I like it quite a bit, but it doesn't even show a lot of oak given that it only spends a month aging. Unfortunately it used to be way better. Back when they first started brewing it, it was a blend of 90 Minute and a different DIPA that had been aged on oak for four months.

StArnoldFan likes this.
  22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Really? Oh, snap :oops: - I thought it was a bba - sorry for the misdirect... Wish I could correct my previous post... Oh, well - still love it :p

Thanks for the correction!

23. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

No problem. I added a little addendum at the end right after you quoted me too.

24. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

BBA barley wines are iffy at best? Lol.

25. Doom isn't bad by any means, but the King of Barrel aged IPAs is IMO, Southern Tier - Oak Aged Unearthly. Too good for(most) words.

jlenik and DanH83 like this.
  26. jb123

jb123 Savant (490) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

didnt like?

27. I too LOVED Doom. It was amazingly smooth; just plain delicious.

28. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Almost pulled the trigger last night at a downtown pizza shop. Couldn't pull the trigger for $30.

29. jb123

30$!!! thats insane

30. MasterfulIdiot

MasterfulIdiot Savant (255) Georgia Sep 15, 2010

Oh I see... $30 for a lifetime supply, right?

Providence likes this.
  31. yamar68

Unfortunately no :(

32. kkibbey

kkibbey Disciple (60) Ohio Apr 27, 2013

I am really excited to try Doom!

33. jb123

Yet to open one of my two. Hope I like it lol

34. yamar68

Judging by the other reviews, maybe I was just in a bad mood when I had it or something haha.

jb123 likes this.
  35. jb123

It happens, cheers!

36. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I only contemplated because I was at 899. My 900th was a Riserva tonight.

37. dcraig13

dcraig13 Aficionado (180) Ohio Sep 13, 2010

He clearly has not had Abacus or KH.

38. I shared a bottle of this with a friend, and I went into it not knowing what to expect. On the first pour and sip, I wasn't so impressed. I tasted a lot of coconut and thats one thing I really hate. Hate is a strong word.
    But as it warmed up a bit and opened up, it got a lot better. By the end of the glass, I didn't want to finish it, it was so good. My friend agreed.

39. Had it tonight on tap at a pizza place in D.C., I was also pleasantly surprised. Good stuff.

40. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Best $12.99 I've spent on beer in a very long time...

Tmonk13 likes this.