1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders "Doom" (next backstage release) thoughts

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by KzooBeerBrian, Feb 19, 2013.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

It's amazing...it's closer to like a bourbon barleywine with some extra IPA hop bitterness. Read the reviews on it, used to be called hand of doom.

2. I'm excited. This and Looking Glass were the two Founders tap-only releases that I was hoping would make it to the Backstage Series.

raymo55 likes this.
  3. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

$13 for a bomber of an IPA, Barrel aged or not, is not a reasonable price(IMO). I will try this on tap, but probably wont buy any for myself. I did enjoy looking glass though, so maybe I will be surprised. I have had other bourbon/whiskey barrel IPAs, and have not enjoyed them, so my personal expectations are low.

4. I've never had Hand of Doom, although I did manage to get in first on the reviews of Looking Glass. But the closest I've had to Doom is Burton Baton and a couple of other oak-aged IPAs and DIPAs, never bourbon. Looking forward to this one a lot.

5. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I think this has been discussed a lot in the Doom thread under beer releases.

Summed up: Most peeps want Black Biscuit or CBS, and complain about Doom.

mjshearer1, CWBlues, MichPaul and 2 others like this.
  6. My thoughts. Why are people complaining so much about its release in the Doom thread. Bah bunch of yuppies.

7. Founders = overhyped

8. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Not a fan of this beer or Looking Glass. I think Double Trouble is a solid beer but it is not one of my favorites. The dirty hop character does not work for me, the barrels do not improve upon this IMO.

I would definitely prefer Black Biscuit, hell I would prefer to see Black Rye again, but I am not upset by this release. I will probably let this one sit on the shelves, no real interest here.

9. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Like Boltcutter. Really bringing the heat lately. Likely two backstage release busts in a row, Kbs ticket debacle and a pathetic showing at all mbg events that aren't in GR

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Not rushing out for this one

11. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

This beer will suck.
    Lets keep talking it down, everyone.

;)

GGsMustache668 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  12. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

It is already the biggest bust of all time and it hasn't even been released. Founders cant win unless they release CBS for every beer. Personally I like variety, but then again I don't care about trading anymore.

13. I am looking forward to this! The only Backstage Series beer I didn't care for was FMB, so Founders is still batting .1000 for BA beers for me.

14. No thoughts till I try it.

15. TCgoalie

TCgoalie Savant (330) Michigan Mar 24, 2009

Hand of Doom was rotten, tasted like bourbon barrel aged dirty socks.

(Don't read this - it is awesome. If I trick you into thinking it is bad then more for me:)

flayedandskinned likes this.
  16. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

you ≠ supergenious

17. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Batting .1000 huh? 1 out of 10? :p

18. Ha, nice catch.

19. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Wait, what? The trend here is to say it sucks even though you have not tried it or actually read the good ratings it has got...

20. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I'm not overly enthused about this beer, but I'll probably pick up a bottle if I catch it on the shelf. I just don't think putting a beer in a barrel makes it more appealing or special. Founders is capable of doing some really awesome and unique stuff, but I kind of feel like this could have been a better or more interesting effort for such a highly anticipated series of beers. That being said, I may very well get some enoyment out of Doom. It doesn't sound that appealing to me, but I certainly won't jump the gun and say it sucks before having tried it. We are talking about Founders, after all. But I can see this one ending up like the last two and being a beer I would't want to drink again. More power to the people getting stoked about this one. I'll reserve my excitement for the next Backstage release.

21. tommyz

You say your not judging it cause you have not tried it, yet you say they are capable of doing better and you can see this ending up like the last 2 backstage releases......HUH?

22. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Throwing the beer in a barrel doesn't automatically make it a better beer but it usually has given it characteristics that usually I like- mainly affecting the mouthfeel/creaminess as well as contributing the underlying flavour of the barrel. It's not something I'd run someone over for though.

CMUbrew likes this.
  23. burica2020

Has it been on tap that much over the years that so many people have negative responses on it. I don't review beers because I don't value my own opinion but when I had it on KBS day 3 years ago I thought it was delicious. Am I really in the minority because from what few braincells I have left I remember liking it?

24. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

No way man, this is an awesome beer! Haters just comin out of the woodwork because it isn't CBS or Black Biscuit.

I love that people are complaining about the beer before having it and that it is $13. Rizing Bhines is a $15 IPA that has nothing special but I don't see as much hate about it in that thread.

25. tommyz

Steebo is right on...The reviews of this are a 91, which is "exceptional"...Yet everyone is coming out saying it sucks or WILL suck and not having tried it...It just amazes me...

26. I'm excited about Doom. IPA + Bourbon + Founders is alright by me.

raymo55, steebo777 and jacob4999 like this.
  27. Not an IPA man myself but trying to slowly get into that groove so this release is sort of a let down for me. Still if I luck into finding one on the shelf I would still buy it just to have the experience and always the hope that I may actually enjoy it. So far Kuhnenns DRIPA was amazing so have high hopes there are others to sway me.

CMUbrew likes this.
  28. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I understand this is a completely different beer, but Toppling Goliath just relesed Naughty Temple this week. If memory serves me right, it's a IPA aged in Templeton Rye Whiskey barrels for 14 months. I have to say, it was incredible.

Like I said, I understand it's a completely different beer than Doom is, but I wasn't sure I was going to like a BA IPA just like a lot of people seem to be on here and I knew I was going to love it the second I smelled it. Didn't taste IPAish at all. Had some similarities to a barleywine, but was just so unique and so good.

After having Naughty Temple, I'm much more optimistic about Doom.

redblacks75 and youngac like this.
  29. Naughty Temple is a world class beer.

Doom is delicious as well.

redblacks75 likes this.
  30. Hit a black party there someday and see if it doesn't completely change your mind (and blow your mind).

31. CMUbrew

Better as in they are just taking one of their yearly beers and putting it in a barrel. I know they could do something more creative like a totally new beer, or just something that isn't being done all the time like barrel aging. But, of course, they are the world-class brewers, not me. So I won't waste any further time complaining about what they are releasing and what they aren't. As far as ending up like the last two, I am only referring to my own evaluation of them according to my own palate. Doom will likely be something I'm glad I tried, but wouldn't seek out again, like I felt with the last two. This comes from how I generally feel about BBA beers, which is that I typically don't find them as superior or special as many people do, in general. And FMB just didn't meet my expectations (perhaps they were too high?) although it was a decent beer in its own right. I don't feel like I contradicted myself here pal.

32. burica2020

"Better as in they are just taking one of their yearly beers and putting it in a barrel?????" I mean I know its double trouble but this BA version has been off/on tap over the last 3 years to my knowledge and people enjoyed it (and rated it kinda high). Also a BA version of an IPA is vastly different then the base as it takes on a more barleywine characteristic after hop fading for months and with the sweet bourbon it becomes a completely different beer. It was creative when they did it the first time a few years ago and I can't help but think the big response from ratings and people are why they are bottling it and distributing it. Try it first before you say it sucks or it lacks creativity

33. CMUbrew

Perhaps I just used creative for lack of a better term. I am just of the opinion that bourbon barrel aging is becoming more and more commonplace, and I would like to see breweries release some different things. More power to those that love this trend. And I certainly never said it sucks. In fact I have stated that I will probably find some qualities in Doom that I enjoy. I'm totally glad people have enjoyed and raved about this beer for however long Founders has been making it. It certainly takes skill to produce any beer, and certainly takes even more expertise to have it come out the other side of a barrel with desireable qualities. That being said, I am not a person that gets overly hyped about BBA beers. I am also not much of a barleywine fan. So it should be easy to see why I'm not enthused about this choice for Backstage release. This is my opinion based on what I like, and I am entitled to that opinion. I'm not hating on Founders in any way (big fan - MI pride) and I'm not hating on anyone who is stoked about this release. Everyone on both sides of this Doom debate should really live and let live.

burica2020 likes this.
  34. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

FWIW, Doom is an Imperial IPA.... the point being made in the post you had quoted post was, it takes on barleywine characteristics as the hops begin to fade. Now, i know your not talking specifically Founders when you say "see breweries release some different things", but perhaps you could elaborate as to what you mean by different? As far as differentiateing themselves, a Bourbon IPA is pretty different than what most brewers/breweries are doing with their barrel programs (off the top of my head the only other BA IPA i can think of is BA Huma). Lastly, you being not much of a barleywine fan, perhaps you will love this fresh when it has all the juicy hops of Double Trouble? Personally i think the $13 bottle price would be worth it to try. But that's just like, my opinion. Man.

burica2020 likes this.
  35. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

This is absolutely true but for reasons people may not think. Before anyone takes issue with my statement please read on.

My agreeing that Founders is overhyped is not an indictment on Founders it is an indictment on the unrealistic expectations that run rampant through out the beer community. Founders actually suffers from these expectations. Frangelic Mtn was a victim of unrealistic expectations, it tasted exactly the way it was described but people still complained. At this point if Founders brews a beer that does not cure cancer, increase your penis size (male or female) and allow you to run a 4.2 40 it is an utter failure in too many peoples minds.

Founders is an excellent brewery, worthy to be mentioned along side the best. They do receive a little to much praise at times but that is coupled with far too much criticism as well.

36. CMUbrew

Hmm, that doesn't really look like my quote...Man.

37. tommyz

Well said......

38. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

This is true. But i was only including the parts of your post i responded to. Per, you avatar. The rabbles are from south park.

39. The whole point to the Backstage series has been to bottle previous tap-only favorites. Bolt Cutter was the only exception, because of their 15th anniversary.