1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders "Doom" (next backstage release) thoughts

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by KzooBeerBrian, Feb 19, 2013.

1. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

I'm sure I'll end up trying it, but I wasn't a huge fan of their last $15 BA DIPA.
  2. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Member

I dont understand why people argue about what is being released. Buy it if it sounds good...pass if not. Pretty simple, lots of other craft brews available. Heard looking glass was good, so I'll give it a shot.
  3. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Member

?eh?
  4. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

boltcutterjokelikewoah.
    Mjmoser, MacJenkins and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  5. burica2020

burica2020 Member

I.e. - founders is the Derrick rose of breweries.
  6. Steimie

Steimie Member

I swear, Founders could bottle CBS and sell it for $10 and a large group of folks would still bitch. "I've had CBS before, I want Black Biscuit." "I want BA FIS, not CBS."
  7. tommyz

tommyz Member

I wish I could like this statement with the rage of a million likes......:p
  8. grynder33

grynder33 Member

I had the Barrel aged Imperial Hatter, that seemed to work fine guessing Doom will be as good if not better.
  9. steebo777

steebo777 Member

Not even the same ballpark.
  10. wizzy

wizzy Member

Doom was released today via tickets, and also available on draft ($6 for 8oz pour) in the tap room. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, definitely not the typical IPA profile w/ the barrel aging.

Pick-up was smooth, just like KBS. They had a tent sent up in the back parking lot and I was in and out in 3 minutes. The tap room opened at noon today (Sunday), and was full by 12:30-12:45.

For those planning a trip to Founders, be prepared: the front lot is gone, and the street to the north of Founders (where you used to get to the back lot) is totally closed. I asked my server what the plan was for the Black Party and she had no idea, as prior tent configs wouldn't work with everything torn up.
  11. justyouraveragebeerguy

justyouraveragebeerguy Member

How many bottles per person was it?
  12. burica2020

burica2020 Member

It's tasting as good as I vaguely remembered 4 years ago at KBS day. Mild, sweet vanillay bourbon up front with a barleywine/Imperial IPA hop bitterness finish. Hipster pitchfork rating - 7.8.
  13. burica2020

burica2020 Member

Also for those interested there is a teku-ish glass (made in germany, like a taller tulip but looks like a teku with softer edges) with a simple founders brewing on one side and a script Doom on the other. Kinda a cool glass
    Michigan likes this.
  14. wizzy

wizzy Member

Two bottle limit.
  15. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Member

Can you post a pic?
    leftyhyzer and Michigan like this.
  16. semibaked

semibaked Member

I want to try it and share the bottle and the cost with someone else.
  17. burica2020

burica2020 Member

you dont understand my very vague, stupid description. I'll snap one when I get home if someone doesn't do it between now and then.
    Mjmoser likes this.
  18. LupulinDevil

LupulinDevil Member

Barrel aged IPA's can be great. Shorts Barrel Aged Huma, Odd Side Barrel Aged Citra Pale....these were all great beers IMO. How about the hate mails start when people actually try it....
  19. JohnnieNepal

JohnnieNepal Member

[​IMG]
    not my photo
    C2H5 and fishtremble like this.
  20. steebo777

steebo777 Member

Yep, I need that glass.
    weatherdog, mjshearer1 and gzaIPArza like this.
  21. burica2020

burica2020 Member

now you guys understand my teku-ish with soft edges madman description, its also taller then the photo shows. Stem is as long as a wine glass (what is this, f*ckin beer glass advocate?).
    JohnB87 likes this.
  22. Itoclown

Itoclown Member

I broke my cigar city glass a few weeks back. I guess I'll need to replace it with this new glass.
  23. fishtremble

fishtremble Member

As much as I want this glass sadly I know it wouldn't survive more than 2-3 uses with my hands. I guess for display only it would hold up better as long as I don't take it down to show off. As for Doom I'm just really trying to get a grasp on IPA's so I'll happily pass on this beer.
  24. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Member

Just a head up. Glasses won't be available till Wednesday. The merch room started construction today, and nothing from there is out for sale. I was told this by 2 bartenders. So take it for what it's worth.
  25. psykosis

psykosis Member

anyone know how much glasses are?
  26. Itoclown

Itoclown Member

Really doesnt have much to do with the release... But all the downtown constructions a pain in the ass. The area around founders is a pain right now buy I think that'll get better pretty quick (hopeful thoughts)
  27. danp14

danp14 Member

Glasses are (or were) most certainly available. Have been since Sunday. The two bartenders you talked to were sadly, mistaken or misinformed. They weren't expected to get them in, and was a surprise they got them Sunday. But they were definitely available. Whether or not they sold out already is another question, to which i do not have an answer.
  28. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Member

Any thoughts from those drinking it tonight in the taproom?
  29. chpueblo22

chpueblo22 Member

Dude. Read the post. They are unavailable right now because they are all in boxes being moved from the old company store to the new company store. I was by the store manager that they are not selling anything from the store until they are set up either tmmrw night or wednesday.
    MSEGUIN likes this.
  30. burica2020

burica2020 Member

8 bucks
  31. psykosis

psykosis Member

Thanks.
  32. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Member

I was told the same thing regarding the glasses today when I picked up my Doom.

And, if you're coming off of 131 on to Market and taking the back way in, the construction really isn't that much of a pain in the ass, because it's all in front of you by then. Their whole back parking lot was mostly empty (this was at 11:30, so take it for what you will) and they have a small tent in the back where they're selling it. I was in and out of there in under two minutes. Pretty smooth process for me.
  33. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Member

Drinking one in the taproom now and am very pleased with this brew, much better then my expectations.
  34. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Member

But did you have real low expectations?
  35. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Member

Its not that I had low expectations, just didn't think it would be amazing. I enjoy double trouble if that tells you anything.
  36. kylelenk

kylelenk Member

Pleasantly surprised by Doom last night. 2 bottles today. I feel as if their BA program has really matured in terms of things coming out just right. I remember the first time I had KBS and BWB and thought they were way too hot and better with 6 mos. on them. Now it seems like everything they're releasing is perfect.
  37. sarcastro

sarcastro Member

Sorry, but I am pretty sure you dont like it. Didn't you read when all the people said, before it was released, that it wouldn't be good.
  38. Franch

Franch Member

i really enjoyed it at ebf
  39. burica2020

burica2020 Member

Did anyone else notice doom has that better half flavor crystal sediment?
  40. daniloknezic

daniloknezic Member

any word on when this hits distro?