1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Double Trouble (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Apr 10, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Coming soon to a beer store by you:

Lledd, Roguer, BeerKangaroo and 7 others like this.
  2. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

They showed it was being bottled today. Why sit on it for 3 weeks? Makes no sense.

fehrminator likes this.
  3. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Arguably one of Founder's most overrated beers in my opinion. I'd much rather throw back a Centennial IPA or All Day IPA

4. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (405) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

One of my all time favorites!! Can't wait to have a pint at Founder's.

mcrago likes this.
  5. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Never had it. Founder's is one of my favorite breweries. Can't wait.

CMUbrew, fredmugs and smartassboiler like this.
  6. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

mjshearer1 is to MI beers releases as Dontcounttoday is to official Three Floyd's releases. Always on top of that shit! MI beers releases will only be official if it comes from The Shear.

Can't wait for some Double Trouble!

Roguer, MSEGUIN and mjshearer1 like this.
  7. I work at Troegs and the same thing happens with Nugget Nectar and Mad Elf. We start bottling several weeks before the official release date because we have to produce SO MUCH of those beers. Then we try to send out as much as we can to wholesalers so nobody gets upset that "Joe Shmoe got the beer already, why don't we have it?"

The three-tier system is unfortunately extremely political

8. mjshearer1

I have all the local breweries flagged on my Facebook for a reason. ;)

Nuwanda, tommyz, MSEGUIN and 2 others like this.
  9. mark14580

Ah thank you for that.

10. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

And for that sir, I thank you.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  11. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I like the new timing of this release. It used to happen when I was still flush with Hopslam and had no need. Well, I'm all out of Hopslam. Bring it on.

12. I was a mere undergraduate BA last time I had this. Looking forward to trying it with my fancy new Graduate palate

13. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Surprised there's no Founders hate in this thread yet.

Same here man!

14. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Better than Hopslam!

KevinGordon, morky92, 1424IpA and 4 others like this.
  15. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

People hate Founders? Aside from limited supply of special releases and/or the occasional underwhelming one-off (FMB) I can't think of what problem folks would have with them.

Double Trouble makes me happy. Then sleepy.

Roguer, MichPaul and YogiBeer like this.
  16. mjshearer1

I knew I was forgetting something in my original post...

The hops have really faded off this year. It's infected. KBS. This will be terrible when it's barrel aged as Doom. There's no carbonation. Distribution. Bottle limits. Founders has shady business practices. 1 six pack of Dirty Bastard I bought last year entitles me to 6 cases of this, right? Tickets. Horrendous taplists. MOAR KBS~!

There. Now that we have the usual suspects out of the way, we can talk about the beer and how awesome it is.

17. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Ive never had this one, so I'm really pumped to try it. It had better not be that hard to find!

18. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

Wow. I think it's one of their best. It is so easy to drink. I'll be picking up a case for sure. Can't tell it's as high ABV as it is.

19. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

You forgot "price too high", etc.

20. You've never had it fresh then, this beer is in my top 5 DIPA's with the likes of Dreadnaught, Heady Topper, Hopslam, and Lupulin Maximus. This is one damn tasty DIPA, especially if you love tangerine's and grapfruits.

21. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I was just developing my hop head chops last year when I had this and thought it was awesome. As a noob I didn't realize that a lot of beers were seasonal releases. Now that I've had most of the top ranked DIPAs out there I am really looking forward to seeing if the love is still there.

22. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Will I have to run around like a mad man to maybe luck out and get a bottle?

23. mjshearer1

You shouldn't. I'd put this between Imperial Stout and Backwoods as far as readily available.

24. It's as easy to get as Breakfast Stout, for me anyway. In the past it's been on shelves for, I'd like to say, 1.5-2 months?? Far easier to aquire than Backwoods (never saw it on shelves last year) or IS (didn't last more than a week or so).

nickapalooza86 and beerFool28607 like this.
  25. mark14580

This is considered a speciality release now and no longer a seasonal so it might not stick around as long as in past years. With that said, should not be hard to find.

26. mjshearer1

Ah, see, I can still can get Imperial Stout around here (I'm also in home territory) if I put more than two seconds worth of effort in, but we're practically buried in Breakfast Stout to where it's almost just as common as the year rounds. Double Trouble lasts a bit, but I've always found it goes faster than Imperial.

27. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Bout time.

28. So if you work at Troegs, perhaps you can shed some light on the Nugget Nectar question that seems to pop up every year since the brewery moved from Harrisburg to Hershey.

dar482 likes this.
  29. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Haven't tried it, but will likely do so if I can get a bottle.

How much is a single of the stuff?

30. One of the finest DIPA's on this earth. Please come to N.H this year?

steebo777 likes this.
  31. not sure if it will help much but im seeing $2.99 per bottle $9.99 per 4-pack down here in GA.

32. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (630) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I've never had it and look forward to trying it. If it's as readily available as IS was, I should have no problem drinking this until I'm sick of it. :)

33. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

To each their own, but I find Centennial IPA the worst of their year round beers. All Day IPA is great, but DT trumps both handily imo.

34. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Can't comment on DT, but I REALLY didn't like Centennial. All Day is fine for what it is, it's just overpriced

xanok likes this.
  35. I prefer the Double Trouble over either one of those. I've bought sixers of Centennial 3 different times over the last couple years and was never impressed, I would drink the All Day over Centennial. I suppose it is possible the Centennial I was drinking wasn't fresh.

mcrago likes this.
  36. Alextricity

I would have guessed $3, so that's probably about what it'd be here.

37. Alextricity

Not fresh Centennial is unbelievably bad. I had a six pack of it and had four pretty quickly (the beer was already about two months old), and it tasted fine. I then had the other one sit in the fridge for two or three months, and it wound up being a drain pour. It almost tasted ... salty? It was bizarre. Wasn't the same beer at all.

Centennial > All Day, but I don't like light beers for the most part, so.

38. I remember it just didn't have much flavor, with just a little hop taste at the beginning.

39. nah we see plenty of it in our area. someone above equated it to breakfast stout (in terms of quantity) which I would say is more or less accurate. great beer though, looking forward to it.

40. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

never tried this before but since CT seems to be getting their limited release stuff I hope to try it this year