Dismiss Notice
Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Learn more about beer. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for as low as 68% off the single issue price.

Subscribe now →

Founder's Event at Ashley's in Ann Arbor

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by iceatalamo, May 10, 2012.

1. Not a fan of the City, but solid tap list, might try to make it out. I'll keep my fingers crossed they have some CBS!!!
    Founders Brewing Event!!!
    Tuesday, May 15th 6pm
    Ashley's-Ann Arbor

Click To Visit The Brewery Website​
    Featuring on Draught...​

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
    Better Half
    Backwoods Bastard
    Imperial Stout
    Double Trouble
    Old Curmudgeon
    Centennial IPA
    Pale Ale
    Red's Rye
    Dirty Bastard
  2. trginter

trginter Savant (415) Michigan Dec 1, 2008 Verified

Not a fan of the city either, but damn. That's quite the tap list.
  3. Nice lineup....really hope they have FMB, or CBS on tap as well. If not I'll settle for a KBS and a couple Backwoods Bastards
  4. You guys are wrong. The city is Awesome!;)
  5. patol8

patol8 Savant (280) Michigan Jul 6, 2010 Verified

Guessing those 2 who don't like AA are sparty fans.
  6. Weter

Weter Aficionado (165) Michigan Oct 24, 2011

The city has some great offerings, it's the university enclosed within the city that turns me off.
    kkulacki likes this.
  7. trginter

trginter Savant (415) Michigan Dec 1, 2008 Verified

kkulacki likes this.
  8. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (370) Michigan Sep 11, 2008 Verified

Will be out there after work, will be a nice warm-up for Founder's Fest. Looking forward to KBS, Backwoods,Better Half, and Nemesis. Makes going into enemy territory a lot easier when they have taplists like this ;).
  9. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (370) Michigan Mar 13, 2009 Verified

Brady Hoke sees what you two are saying
    MichPaul, Bryan and WolvAlerine like this.
  10. And all those words in sentence format make him confused...can't a man just eat his sandwich (or 5) without having to read things on the internet?

WeisGuy and trginter like this.
  11. Corbet

Corbet Savant (395) Michigan Nov 7, 2010 Verified

I'll be there. I wonder if it will be as busy as normal, considering all the students are gone for the summer. I'll probably get there a half hour early.
  12. patol8

Not surprising an MSU fan couldn't come up with anything better than a fat/dumb joke.

MichPaul, xerenthar and wintbs379 like this.
  13. sarro

sarro Savant (390) Michigan May 12, 2009 Verified

Let's face it. AA > EL

No competition.
    nanobrew, steebo777, JohnB87 and 4 others like this.
  14. abraxel

abraxel Savant (395) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

They say to write what you know ;)

I'm planning on dropping by for some delicious Founders fare. I can't help but be mildly disappointed there's no CBS on that list, but the KBS, Better Half, and Nemesis should keep me mollified :)
    patol8 likes this.
  15. WeisGuy

WeisGuy Advocate (545) New York Apr 26, 2006 Verified

A2 is great. Ashley's is lame. Not even that tap list will entice me to walk the 4 blocks from my house to hit the event.

Oh, and Brady Hoke is fat/dumb.
    chpueblo22 likes this.
  16. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Love the city, love the brewery, love the bar. Go Blue!

(Here's hoping there's some left when I arrive the following weekend)
  17. kkulacki

kkulacki Aficionado (245) Massachusetts Jan 19, 2007 Verified

Here's to hoping the lack of students will make it easier to get seated. Last time they did a Founders night (night before Thanksgiving), I arrived 45 minute early and still waited for over an hour (it was worth it). Definitely looking forward to it.
  18. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (220) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

Go Blue!
  19. Who knows, they may pull out some surprises, but I've been craving a KBS on tap so I don't care if they do or not.
  20. mtrog313

mtrog313 Savant (350) Michigan Feb 28, 2012 Verified

Night before Thanksgiving is the busiest bar night of the year, so hopefully it will be significantly less busy next week.
  21. BeRanger

BeRanger Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 11, 2011 Verified

I'm a huge Michigan fan but it doesnt stop me from wanting to run down bicycles in that city.
  22. This statement is false.

I'll take Crunchy's over Ashley's any day of the week as well.
    Spartan213 likes this.
  23. mtrog313

A good buddy runs Crunchy's and has worked had to transform that place over the last couple years. I don't know much about the westside of the state but nobody over this way is getting the special taps and takeovers like they are.
  24. sarro

sarro Savant (390) Michigan May 12, 2009 Verified

I would take Crunchy's over Ashley's as well, but Lansing still isn't up to par ;P
    Holland likes this.
  25. Hater.
    sarro likes this.
  26. Bryan

Bryan Aficionado (155) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Ashley's is typically rated as a 100 best beer bar in America. Crunchy's, on the other hand, has Miller Lite on tap.
    xerenthar and mjshearer1 like this.
  27. Crunchy's rotates their taps with interesting things more frequently than Ashley's. I've lived in both cities for an extended period of time and I can say this for a fact. The management at Crunchy's is more adventuresome and doing more interesting things with their taps than Ashley's, who has been riding their name for a while now.

A quick review of the taps lists right now showed almost nothing I am interested in trying on tap at Ashley's (in over 60 taps) while Crunchy's has a RIS from Tri-City, Sam Adams Oak-Aged Porter (10 reviews on BA), a new Vivant brew, southern tier Chokolat (always good), an odd side citra pale, and a JP brew (which is nice to have in Lansing) in 1/3 of the taps...and this is a pretty poor lineup right now as all the students have left.
  28. mtrog313

Crunchy's has Miller Lite because of the buckets. And on the menu, they openly make fun of its "triple hops"

After a brewers night they always will have interesting stuff left over like the Sam Adams mentioned above. Better Half lasted over a week and I know they are sitting on some KBS that will likely last several days when its tapped.
    chpueblo22 likes this.
  29. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (400) Michigan Jan 7, 2012 Verified

Wondering if any of these will be timed releases like they have been doing at Ashley's lately.

KBS is one of my favorite beers of all time, but I may have to go with Better Half. I've been craving it again since I killed my only bottle.
  30. patol8

The tap list online for Ashley's isn't updated too often, thus not a good rep of what they actually have, kind of like Dark Horse.

31. Which is a bad thing. It is a benefit to the consumer to have an up to date tap list. I like Ashley's as much as the next guy but the last 4 or 5 times I've gone in, I haven't gotten anything I was excited about and I left 20$ in the hole.
  32. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (565) Michigan Dec 16, 2011 Verified

I was not the biggest fan of Better Half. It was a good beer, yes, but something I could certainly live with not drinking again. With KBS and Backwoods on tap though, that was enough for me to contemplate the 2.5 hour drive to Ann Arbor, especially because I'd be right at home in Wolverine territory. GO BLUE!
    patol8 and vivasbeer like this.
  33. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (400) Michigan Jan 7, 2012 Verified

I respect that opinion. I found it outstanding, myself, but I can see where it is not for everyone. Backwoods and KBS are also personal favorites. I may need to get myself a DD because controlling myself could be an issue.
    mjshearer1 and vivasbeer like this.
  34. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (455) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

I will be there!!
  35. patol8

Ashleys does keep an up to date tap list in the bar itself, who cares what the online tap list says. Just go to the bar, see if there is something you like, hell try some samples which they do offer, if you still don't want to spend any more money there, oh well, don't waste your money then on something you're not excited about. You could walk down to Jolly Pumpkin or one of the other microbreweries that reside in downtown Ann Arbor.
  36. patol8

Hopefully it being on a Tuesday will mean smaller crowds, plus no students. Last Founders event I went to during the summer at Ashleys, very small crowd, couldn't even tell it was a special tap night.
  37. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (455) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

. I am in town that night from Indy and will be in a hotel. I plan on calling a cab because of control issue's. A DUI is not an option. Plus that way, I can sample all the maddness.
  38. patol8

Good idea, that tap list is too good to just have 2 or 3.
  39. Didn't Ashley's do a Budweiser tap takeover?????

Also, I think Better Half is a vastly underrated beer.
  40. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (740) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I thought that was an April Fools post