1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Founders Frangelic Mtn Brown

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Jun 27, 2012.

1. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

Dialogue with owner(?) at Linda's Country Store in Almont:

Me: (point to single FMB bottle on counter) how much is that?
    Her: $25.
    Me: Ahhh, no. Thank. You.
    Her: If you knew what that was, you would understand.
    Me: I do know what that is. Should probably be about $15.
    Her: Maybe at Champanes!
    Me: Nah, they actually had it for about $12.
    Her: Well, it goes for $45 on eBay.
    Me: (door slamming me in the ass).

redblacks75, pk18, 71gto and 5 others like this.
  2. Lush on Roscoe had about 8-9 bottles in the cooler at $15 about 10 minutes ago.

3. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

It's a sad day when the stores refer to EBay to justify price gouging.

71gto, chanokokoro and averagejake872 like this.
  4. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Agreed which is why I smirked and immediately walked out of the store when he said $20.

5. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (705) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in my beer store guy charging me $18. I've given this guy a bunch of out of market beer for him to try.

6. I got 3 bottles at a local place by my work that raises prices on rare stuff... and he charged 14.99 each. That place is my barometer for how high rare prices should go. I'm guessing that's a 40-50% mark up over wholesale.

The beer is one of the more interesting brown ales I've had, so it's worth picking up a few bottles. Not worth spending more than the price of a Porabola while they are still out there though.

7. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Withouth knowing it, you just called out all the suckers who dropped $25 on a bottle there ;)...not me

8. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (220) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

I paid $20 at a place in Rochester Hills. I've been going there pretty regularly since I moved to our Troy office and this was the first time i was able to be on a wait list for something there. I was annoyed at the price, but not having another option I bit the bullet and bought it. Sure it was about $5 more than I wanted to pay, oh well.

9. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (345) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Still had all of this (except Stone Vanilla) when I ran by last night. Surprised they still had Fruet, and $2 cheaper than what I paid in Indy. Vas is usually a couple bucks higher than other places around, so this was a surprise. Also still have White Oak.

10. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

And devil dancer and angry beast ;)

11. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

It would be more expensive to use real hazelnuts--exactly one of my point. Founders cut a corner here by using fake-tasting hazelnut coffee. Perhaps it was cost-prohibitive to use real hazelnuts for a large release like this, so they compromised the quality of the ingredients they usually use. In my opinion, there were better options: a more limited release, charge more to reflect the actually cost of producing the brew, or release another brew that you didn't have to make a compromise your usual standards. They have plenty that would have been better choices.

Cognitive dissonance in action...

Actually, I didn't notice the side of the label after a drank it and found it to be unpleasant...

I know everyone's palates are different, but frankly even if you didn't pick up the unpleasant taste, whether it be from artifical flavoring or an artifical sweetner, this brew tastes like bad gas station hazelnut coffee--it doesn't even taste like good coffee complete with an unpleasant saccharine taste (for me). It's got me questioning quite a few palates or again I'll just chalk it up to that fact that Founders can release anything liquid on a limited basis and it's going to get a 90 rating on BA minimum.

12. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (330) Indiana May 4, 2011

My palate is just fine, thank you, and I enjoyed this beer very much.

13. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (310) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

I question anyone who takes up a vendetta against a beer/brewery because they "cut corners" and lowered themselves below your standards by using artificial ingredients when you say you will continue to buy their beers. Then when suggested by another BA to stop buying Founders, you call them "extremely unoriginal". Do you think you are the first person to not like a hyped beer then make a thread/rant bashing it?

14. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Get a new beer guy.

15. YogiBeer

Not surprising that a Michigan fan would make a decision like that.... Overpaying for a mediocre product... just like your football tickets =P

(All in good fun... born and raised in Columbus)

iceatalamo likes this.
  16. YogiBeer

Frangelic mountain brown was pretty good. Do any of you know how difficult it would be to get actual hazelnut flavor into a beer without insane complications/astronomical cost? The beer tastes good, is EXTREMELY affordable as far as founders goes, and isn't lying to you on the label.. Are you people really this arrogant? Get over yourself.

17. You're out to make some new friends, aren't you Yogi?

raymo55 and Nachos4two like this.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

My palate can kick your palate's ass.

And I liked this beer for what it is.

19. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (705) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I wish I had better options on my return commute but I'm going to frequent a few other places more.

20. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

No, I don't have a vendetta against Founders and there is a difference between healthy debate and a rant. I heavily support them and will continue. I'm just able to separate myself from that fact that nearly every brew Founders has bottled up until this point is exceptional, and that goes for their year-round stuff as well as their seasonal and special releases, and am able honestly critique this brew for what is. I actually wasn't the first to describe the taste of FMB as bad gas station hazelnut coffee--another BA did--(I'll add artificially sweetened bad gas station hazelnut coffee), however its the most accurate description I've heard. I am confident that another brewery that didn't have Founders well-deserved reputation released this mess as a reoccurring release it would be lucky to be at an 80 in the ratings.
    As I stated before it's a perfect example of cognitive dissonance. If you aren't familiar you should be able to find a definition quite easily.

As far as questioning palates, I went a bit overboard and respectfully retract that comment. Sorry, if I personally offended anyone including you, MordorMongo.

21. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Oh no worries, just jerking your chain. Maybe there is some bottle variation here (not exactly unheard of with Founders), as I have had two bottles now and neither had THAT strong of fake hazelnut flavor. Again, I seriously despise hazelnut coffee and am very surprised I even like this beer. When it was announced I told my beer guy (he knows who he is) that I HAD to get this for my wife as she LOVES hazelnut coffee and we fight about it weekly it seems (irritating having to buy double coffee and we really do use two makers as that shit taints the brewer and it always tastes of it). Maybe I was just expecting it to be worse? Dunno, just know that I like it....a lot.

chanokokoro likes this.
  22. I thought it was pretty tasty. It's not the most complex beer, but I found it to be super, super drinkable. I wouldn't believe it was 9% if I hadn't downed the whole thing to find out myself. That's pretty impressive in a brown ale. It reminded me a lot of Panera's Hazelnut coffee which I happen to like on some random occasions when I want a flavored coffee. I tend to get lots of "artificial" flavors with coffee beers. Even some of the best. However, I didn't feel like this one screamed artificial flavoring to me. To each their own.

Also, I like Founders but I am sort of all over the map on their stuff. I don't really like FBS, but I love KBS. I thought CBS and CBH were both ok but nothing special, but I love backwoods bastard. This falls more into being one I'd consider buying again.

23. Some stores suck. We only received 12 bottles and sold them for $12.99 which was regular mark-up.

steebo777 and chanokokoro like this.
  24. Is it the best of their Backstage Series? No. But that doesn't mean it's not a damn good beer. I didn't get any of the "fake" flavors from the bottle I downed last night. The nose was amazing. I got up this morning and my kitchen still smelled faintly of coffee from the empty bottle on my bar. I also didn't find it to be too sweet. It's pretty damn hard (for me at least) to get overly excited by a brown ale but this one is pretty unique. The alcohol was masked very well, I could only get a slight tinge of the booze in the finish as the beer warmed. In Charlotte they're going for less than $15 a pop and I'll likely pick up one or two more on my way home today, if supply holds out at my honey hole.

steebo777 likes this.
  25. comte70

comte70 Aficionado (115) Illinois Sep 23, 2008

FMB is in the house at Binnys in Lakeview along with Devil Dancer.

26. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Indeed

I have a pretty good idea of where that is. If its where I'm thinking funny thing was when they put me on the list I was told it would probably be 30, Needless to say after I got what I needed from other more reasonable places I cancelled my spot. Its a place I frequent pretty regular too I must admit I was surprised that they were marking it up like that, its not something Id noticed them doing before.

27. They probably told you $30 because that is what they charged for CBS and then continued to sell Better Half at that price as well. I passed on the Better Half. That place in notorious for overcharging, but has a pretty good overall selection.

Drinking a FMB right now and it is damn tasty again, screw those who keep talking about the "fake" hazelnut taste that they detect. If you don't want it, BM me and I'll give you my address to ship it to.

jrnyc, ChadlyG and steebo777 like this.
  28. NSaad23

I will be driving through Grand Rapids tomorrow evening, does anyone know if they still have FMB in bottles? I noticed it's not on Tap as of Yesterday.

29. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Not on tap, but as of yesterday there were still bottles in the Tap Room.

30. NSaad23

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

31. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

I finally tracked down bottles of FMB yesterday at a place in South Eastern Wisconsin. My excitement faded when I asked how much a bottle was.....$30! I did not take the bait on that one. I'm going in this morning/afternoon to try and talk the owner down to something more reasonable. We'll see what happens.

32. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

How dare it not be as good as CBS and pull wAlez in trade!!!

bozodogbreath likes this.
  33. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (315) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

34. MC6

MC6 Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 12, 2008

2 bottles per person limit. Probably 50 or so bottles in the cooler as of Wednesday night.

35. Picked a bottle up at Woodman's West in Madison, WI tonight 12.99

36. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

Does anyone know of any bottles of FMB still around the Milwaukee or Green Bay Area? There are bottles in my local bottle shop in Sheboygan, but the guy wants $30 for a bottle.

37. RayLove

RayLove Aficionado (110) Illinois May 1, 2008

A few bottles left at Cardinal Liquors on Roosevelt in Forest Park, 14.99

38. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

royal oak liquor store?

39. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

amoris market on John R in madison heights had a few bottles @ 15 / piece if people are still looking