1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders gets $2 million grant for large ongoing expansion project

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by CellarGimp, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

2. Chaz and mikeburd1128 like this.
  3. A small part of the money needed if you read the article. Reminds me of this story. When Henry J Kaiser announced after WWII that he was investing $100M to make autos, one wag from the back of the room was said to shout out "give that man one white chip!".

Good to see tax dollars going to invest in a growing business. Hops if turns out better as a reurn than BadAss.

luwak likes this.
  4. markus72

markus72 Aspirant (35) Dec 2, 2012

Much rather see my tax payer dollars spent on a brewery than on 4 stadiums, see Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. What did Ben Franklin say?

luwak, DelMontiac and PerdidoKeyBum like this.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I love Founders but honestly, what the hell? I'm sick of tax dollars going to private entities.

6. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

Hopefully does this mean i can get FBS soon in California?

7. FBS? Fuck that noise. They just just quadruple up KBS and with any leftover money make some CBS and Backwoods Bastard year round.

8. Founders in California coalition

flayedandskinned likes this.
  9. They have sent stuff out here before.

10. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

It's a win/win. Bigger brewery creates more employment while improving downtown and bringing in more tourism in my very macro view of things.

luwak likes this.

11. Where?

12. Yeah, you can get it now...just do a local for local trade. FBS is super easy to get in the Great lakes beer region.

kylelenk likes this.
  13. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

FYI, when one goes to Grand Rapids, Founders Brewery is generally listed as the number one (1) tourist attraction of the city.

luwak likes this.
  14. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Judging by the 4-5 cases sitting in almost every store in my area there is already enough FBS to send California the same amount of FBS as Founders sends KBS/Harvest/Backwoods to WI. (I think the current strategy is send 1 bottle per 10,000 people but only for citys over 50k) Them expanding further probably means people in South Carolina will be able to get 2 cases of KBS each instead of just 1 now.

No I'm not bitter, why do you say that?? :)

stayclean likes this.
  15. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

good for the brewery & those who enjoy the beer, I'm one who enjoys all that they brew. Bad for those who don't drink beer but pay taxes, they had no choice. Government picking winners & losers.

16. If beer taxes went directly to this grant no problem, but Government is never efficient like that...

evilcatfish likes this.
  17. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

First off, I love Founders Brewing Co and the beers they ship to my area every year, but I was a bit disappointed to find out that Red's Rye in bottle will be switched from a year round to speciality seasonal. This is a brew I buy frequently and I'm a bit frustrated I can't buy it until September. I don't have the luxury of driving to their brewery to get off tap. I'm hoping this expansion allows them to bottle more of our favorites. Because I'm dreading those nights when I'm looking for an old favorite and can't get a 6er of reds rye lol. Just please dont switch your porter. I beg of them

18. eyebrews

eyebrews Aficionado (160) Michigan Aug 10, 2005

Looks like it is time for you to get a kegerator ;) I don't think you have to worry about the porter going seasonal as it has a much longer shelf life.

19. To various festivals in SD and LA.

20. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

It's a repayable loan, not a charity.

JohnB87 and flayedandskinned like this.
  21. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (715) California Dec 15, 2012

I saw 4 different brews from Founders the other day at Ramirez Liquor in LA. Two were selling at $1.99 a piece. One was Red's Rye, can't remember the other. Other two were at around $5-6 each.

22. I may be partial, since Founders is a sort bike ride away for me, but I think this is great news. The proposed expansion will most likely result in wider distribution and higher volumes of some long standing favorites. Red's Rye is one of my favorites, but I dig that they are concerned with making sure it is being sold fresh.

23. evilcatfish

I know its not a charity, I'm just not a fan of government involvement. Guess thats just the Libertarian in me

24. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

OMG Founders is expanding only a matter of time until they start taking money from BMC and sell out just like Goose Island omg I'll never drink another Founders product again

25. evilcatfish

Me neither! Everybody refuse to buy KBS or Backstage releases!

26. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Gang...let's understand the deal first...

From the article quoted:

From the Program's website:

Sooo....if this is actually a LOAN.....it will eventually be paid back.....by our purchases......while providing a bunch of new jobs and a lot more great beer in the pipeline.

Sounds like a win:win:win:win deal to me.

27. Seriously, use Kickstarter like everyone else!

28. faucd531

faucd531 Initiate (0) Louisiana Jul 7, 2010

Hopefully they will expand distribution to Louisiana!

29. OB Noodle House in San Diego has Founders's stuff on somewhat regularly. Old curmudgeon, Centennial IPA, and All Day immediately come to mind.

30. it was a 90 day provisional permit connected to the Firestone Walker festival. What we "got" was some Double Trouble and Centennial Rye that was ~4 months old. Not tight.

I think I saw some FBS once, but, those are extras. You don't buy your own extras.

libbey likes this.