1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout (2012)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

2. BeerBaron

BeerBaron Savant (265) Ohio May 30, 2008

Want

fredmugs likes this.
  3. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Whew! For a minute I thought I was going to open this thread and find out that it was thin and artificial tasting

audioserf, BobZ, Durb777 and 26 others like this.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

You must be able to see the future. That thread will start no later than 1/2/13.

Personally, I can't wait. Really enjoyed my first taste of that this summer in Ypsi.

5. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Heard it's infected. Everyone should let it sit on shelves. Buy something else.

6. As funny as you think this is, I predict no less than a dozen jackholes will take this to heart and tell everyone they know that this is the case.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

That's the point right?

8. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Last year's is still on shelves down here. Nonetheless, I'm excited for this.

9. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

This is a great beer. A great beer.

Zaphog, Gehrig13, chanokokoro and 2 others like this.
  10. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Excited to try this.

11. Good!

ShogoKawada likes this.
  12. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

Amen, brother. One of the very best that Founders makes. Worth every bit of the good publicity it gets, and I'm grateful this one sits on the shelves longer than KBS and Backwoods. De-freakin-licious.

okcommuter, fmccormi and MeowTom like this.
  13. I drank a 2011 last weekend, it was pretty tasty. Not the taste of KBS but still great in its own way.

14. Amazing brew...Maybe a bourbon barrel aged for a Backstage?? Please.... :)

Morey, sukwonee, xxcarpxx and 3 others like this.
  15. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

An so the humor ensues

16. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

I'm having my 11' right now. Can't wait to get my hands on 12'

MrHolland10 likes this.
  17. More for me and you! Idiots! Ma! Meatloaf!

BlackBelt5112203 and jhartley like this.
  18. Heard the same thing! Best to just let it sit. ;)

Marti403 likes this.
  19. How long does this typically stay on shelves? Am I going to have to get on lists at stores for this sort of thing? I'm from Wisconsin (have access to anything from Madison to LaCrosse), so any guidance would be refreshing.

20. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (260) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

Get in my BELLY!!!

cruzmissile72 likes this.
  21. MeowTom

MeowTom Aficionado (135) Washington Mar 16, 2012

I feel exactly the same, love both KBS and BB, but Imperial Stout on the shelves for a longer time is the gift that keeps on giving.

Scotchboy likes this.
  22. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

They actually did this for Black Party 2011, which I unfortunately didn't attend, so you never know when it could make another appearance.

This is usually much much easier to come by than their other seasonals. Think closer to Breakfast Stout's availability as opposed to Backwoods.

skinsfan likes this.
  23. Thank Christ because Backwoods was nigh impossible to get more than a single four-pack of (many stores had pack limits and sign-up sheets). Breakfast Stout, on the other hand, is still around.

24. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Not messing around this year. Buying two cases at first siting.

25. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

ISO: 365 FIS and 365 PT5th! One of each per day and life is worth living! (leap year presents an issue)

dsal89 and MichPaul like this.
  26. Down here where? ISO:

27. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

The reviews are already in. The year's FIS is not as good as it was last year. I'll give it less than a day after the release before there is a thread claiming this.

28. I plan on buying like 3-4 four packs, then putting them in the cellar. I didn't love this fresh, then a few weeks ago I had a year old bottle and it was maybe the best non-BA stout I've ever had. Another awesome beer from Founders, can't wait!

Dtrain4, StoutHunter and Rob-P like this.
  29. It's all that artificial stout flavoring they've been using.

30. I like it fresh but yeah it's great with time on it, i don't plan to drink more than 1 fresh... stuff gets so nice and silky with age...mmm

Gehrig13 likes this.
  31. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I usually buy a 4pk, drink one fresh and age the rest. It ages with the best of them. It's too hot when fresh, IMO. This beer also has that thick milkshake/motor oil body which makes it fun to drink.

32. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

up in GB we still have plenty from last year.

33. There's a reason it didn't taste like KBS.

34. Probably cause nothing else does...Gotta say though, this year's BCBCS knocked my socks off. Even at 14% I found it less boozy than KBS.

35. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Excited to try this, haven't had it yet. Does anybody know if this will be as readily available as, say, Breakfast Stout? Or will it be harder to find? I live in SE Mich, so FBS is everywhere. But I'm not really sure how well the distribution is for FIS. Thanks!

36. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

I wish FIS sat on the shelves like it does for many of you.
    here in Richmond it lasts maybe a day or 2 then it's gone till next january...

bushycook likes this.
  37. Doubt it will be, but it's just so damn drinkable. I got one(2011) as a gift after I bought a few vintage beers from this bar in Brooklyn. Definitely gonna pick up a 4 pack or 2 this year.

38. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Of course I don't visit the same stores so I don't know exactly, but just like mjshearer1 said:
    "This is usually much much easier to come by than their other seasonals. Think closer to Breakfast Stout's availability as opposed to Backwoods."
    I agree. It's the same in the G.R. outlying areas and you live in Michigan, I bet it should be the same for you.
    I am salivating for both this and Plead The Fifth to come out again... I'll get a case of pt5th, and probably a couple 4packs of FIS. Plead is so much harder to get...

mjshearer1 and tectactoe like this.
  39. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (360) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

How hard is this going to be to find?

40. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

Just a minor correction - this release will be the 2013 release. The '2012' release was just about same release date (first of the year), but was a 12/29/2011 bottling date. The 2011 release was released late Feb/early March 2011 (2/9/2011 bottling date).