1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout (2012)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Yes, I find FBS does round out with age. The general consensus is that people prefer it fresh because the coffee is strongest then, but I think it's a bit aggressive, raw, and sharp when uber fresh. I prefer it at least 6 months old. I don't age it for years, I just avoid having it super fresh. But again, I'm the minority when it comes to FBS.
  2. Just found a 4 pack of this (along with the Lagunitas Sucks) at Whole Foods in IL. Haven't opened it up yet, but I'm very much looking forward to trying it as a lover of all things Founders.
  3. Showed up today at my local haunt in Georgia.
  4. Still waiting in NC...
  5. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

Seems like Hunterdon is not the only distributor to "mess" up and release it early.
  6. I just grabbed a pack yesterday in CT bottled 12/7/12 so its still around. Just gotta keep your eye out it seems. Cant wait to try one tonight!
  7. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Any Ohio sightings yet? One of my favs
    whodeyvols likes this.
  8. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Very much looking forward to this one, my favorite Founders seasonal release aside from KBS. Very underrated beer imho.
  9. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

I'm drinking one now - my first ever - and I'm quite impressed (I'm liking this more than Breakfast Stout, actually). The "bottled-on-date" is a bit worn but the last two digits are clearly "12" - looks like XX (unreadable) / 29 / 12. Any idea as to how old this bottle is?
  10. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

probably only a week or 2 old. I wanna know how in the hell everybody outside of michigan is drinking fresh bottles and yet people that live 10 minutes from founders can't even buy it yet, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of!
  11. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

Yeah, this may've been bottled on 11/29. . . . Funny thing is, Albany (where I am) couldn't get Founders until relatively recently, and here we seem to have gotten first dibs on it. I'm not complaining, of course. . . . In fact, this is now one of my favorite Imperial Stouts and I'm regretting not grabbing more than a single 4-pack. . . .
  12. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

I think that there will be 1 or MAYBE 2 bottle dates for this one, and the first is 12/5 ( I think ). None available in Ohio that I know of yet. When new distribs pick up a brewery they seem to F up release dates. Mich will still get more than anyone. It's cool to see founders spreading like ( Game of Thrones style ) wildfire.
  13. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

Sorry, I meant to quote founder26.
  14. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

On the upside, if you're 10 minutes from Founders you'll be able to go there and buy/drink as much of it as you want. Just hold on a couple more days.
    rolandboy likes this.
  15. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Hell yeah, I love some tar in a jar. Recently had SNs Narwhal & that had a nice thick body I wasn't expecting but welcomed just the same.
  16. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Haha true, plus I get to have cbs on tap once in awhile
  17. PourGuy

PourGuy Disciple (50) Illinois Dec 28, 2012

I was able to get one 4 pack today. Bottles dated 11/29/12. Looking forward to aging some this time. Last release I was only able to get one bottle and I didn't have the patience to age it.
  18. dkuback3

dkuback3 Aspirant (25) Ohio Dec 30, 2012

This is a stout I always look forward to...
    sludgegnome likes this.
  19. This is the stout that the Russians wanted but were never able to get the English to get it right.
  20. Yeah that would be awesome! Bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout has been on draft at Founders before!
    sludgegnome and founder26 like this.
  21. What has always got me that people like KBS and other bourbon options from Founders better then this.... I think it is the curse of the 4 pack.... If it is not a single bottle it must not be a world class non barrel aged stout... But IMO it is by far the best beer from this brewery, and one of the best Imy stouts period!
  22. NH Got their shipment last week. I believe CT already had theirs as well. Should hit Mass right after the new year, when it should actually be released in stores like Founder's asked.
  23. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

Just got to Founders about 20 minutes ago. It's now on tap:) delicious.
    sludgegnome likes this.
  24. Should be there already, lurking in the back with the direstion to the shop to release on the first....
  25. I really hope I can find a case this year, last year I was only able to get a 4 pack. One of my favs from founders
  26. I'd like to see a brandy barrel aged version. I have really enjoyed many different barrel aged beers, however as of late brandy barrels are my favs. Plus I think founders could pull it off well.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Due to special dispensation related to temporary suspension of the dynamics controlling time passage I was able to get 2 4 paks today, but they were actually purchased this coming Wednesday.
    AnotherImperial and MichPaul like this.
  28. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (315) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I really need someone to pinch me... I just picked up two 4paks of 2012 FIS...AND a bottle of CBS, KBS and Nemesis (2010) and Bolt Cutter... Happy New Year & Cheers to all!!!
    Bond111 and Falcone like this.
  29. farnold

farnold Aficionado (210) New York Dec 4, 2012

Just picked up a 4 pack from New Beer in NYC.
  30. Noochie

Noochie Zealot (80) New York Nov 27, 2012

I'm not the biggest stout fan, but in the winter months it is inevitable that I will drink some. Most are predictable and I manage to enjoy them. BCBS is awesome, but a bit extravagant to drink on a continual basis. This beer, however, is the perfect stout. I commend Founders for going the 4-pack route instead of placing the brew in bombers and for keeping the price reasonable ($11).
  31. Bigstein09

Bigstein09 Zealot (90) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

Are these priced about the same as FBS and RRPA?
  32. kirok1999

kirok1999 Savant (385) Ohio Jun 19, 2005

Local small town IGA in West Milton OH just got 2 cases.
  33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Due to hit StL this week. This is one of the best stouts period IMO. Now they just need to do a bourbon barrel version that gets widespread release
  34. I picked up a 4-pack here in New Haven CT about a week ago. Drinking one now. Excellent.
  35. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Do you have a time machine?
    tronto likes this.
  36. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Just bought my 4 pack, had one, wrote a review for our beer club, It's excellent now... but it's going to be even better next winter! Anyone else getting a bit of Toasted Marshmallow out of this one? Kinda blew me away.
  37. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (315) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Lol - it may as well have been, I will post a pic of this later ;o)
  38. NYRfan4ever

NYRfan4ever Savant (250) New Jersey Oct 30, 2009

That's surprising that people have found this brew already considering the brewery themselves told me its not allowed on shelves until 1/1/13. Guess your distributors like breaking the rules lol. Can't wait to get this one here in NJ
  39. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Found this last week (nov 2012 bottle) in local store, along with Boltcutter and Backwoods Bastard. NW Michigan.
  40. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

ISO. no founders distro to FLA unfortunately :mad: