1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jglowe77, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I was wondering if this beer is the base for Breakfast Stout?
  2. It is not. Completely different base beers than FBS or KBS.
  3. founders imperial stout is a seasonal with high ibus
    and the breakfast stout is blended with coffee less abv and ibus
    totally complete different base beers
  4. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Also: FBS and KBS do not have the same base beers either. All three of them are different.
  5. Dare I say FIS > FBS? Both are awesome, though.
  6. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I would agree with you.
  7. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

+1
    ThisWangsChung and StoutOne like this.
  8. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I personally think FIS is better than KBS and way better than FBS.
  9. I completely disagree although FIS is good there is no comparison
    KBS is at another level up there in the top realm of barrel aged there is not much way to compare to seasonal stout like FIS just to say that is markedly above in quality
    and on a personal note FBS is so tasty just love the mix of coffee and then chocolate not too high acidity and blended perfectly
    okcommuter likes this.
  10. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

For the longest time I would have considered FBS my favorite stout hands down, but after trying FIS for the first time, I have to say that FBS was dethroned. Granted, albeit both stouts, they are still very different styles of beer and FBS has the upper-hand in drinkability, but if given the choice between the two, I'd probably side with FIS also.
  11. I agree with you except IMO and my alone opinion most likely, FIS>FBS>KBS... KBS just did not blow me away it does with most people but I either way I would not kick any of them out of bed for eatin crackers that is for sure.
    laxer8811, Kendo and jcarleton82 like this.
  12. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Nope. I kinda wish it was. Echoing a few other people, I really liked FIS a fair amount better than FBS.

Though, I've only had a few bottles of FBS . . . really should give it another shot. FIS, though, was love at first bludgeon-your-tastebuds-to-death.
    tectactoe likes this.
  13. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I love Founders for making some awesome stouts that you can argue about putting them in any order and it doesn't seem ludicrous.
    Craigory, Soontir, Ant7780 and 3 others like this.
  14. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

FIS is arguably the best tasting readily-available stout ever made.
  15. lol, define "readily-available"
    cnbrown313 likes this.
  16. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

I've seen it in the northeast (philly, boston, nyc) and all over the midwest. Not sure about west coast. Far more available than other such 4-pack treats as BCBS, Black note, etc. If you can get FBS, you should be able to get FIS. From my experience anyways.
  17. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

'totally complete different beers'

I fucking hate this answer. Really? The past two months I've been debating what I want more between the two, but to say they are TOTALLY different beers is eronious. So if these are WAY different, how do you compare it to a WnB, Is it completely totally a different beer? So then, same question, How does it compare to an ipa? Exaclty, an actual different beer . Comparing a BMW to a Lexus is hardly TOTALLY different. Comparing a BMW to a Harley, now thats TOTALLY different. Maybe compairing FIS to Budwiser is completely different, that I'll accept. But really, it's not two ends of the spectrum. It's what do you like more, coffee or booze>?
    Rohkey and jglowe77 like this.
  18. Some1 needs to chill. The point was that just because they're in the same style by the same brewery, doesn't mean they're identical beers. That could be easily read without the ridiculous overreaction.
    Blanco and ESeab like this.
  19. ianjmiles

ianjmiles Zealot (75) Virginia Jan 19, 2009

Agreed, lay off the sauce for the night. It's not helping your argument...or your typing. 2% ABV is a canyon in the beer realm, not the same at all.
    ESeab and Hoptown like this.
  20. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I'm not really sure if I'd use the sudden Black Note 4-pack release as a way to measure availability, ha.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  21. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

A barrel aged FIS would spank KBS, and then, make it go sit in the corner!
  22. for the past two years in the greater boston area and as far west as julio's (westboro), FIS has been quite difficult to get. in many instances, it is allocated. in which case, the store places limits per customer, and quite often only by request (not on the shelf). FBS availability varies, but in recent months it has been overwhelming and just sits on display.
    beerranger likes this.
  23. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

I can buy cases upon cases of FBS (which will now be a 6 month seasonal beer), but am lucky to grab one or two 4-packs of FIS.

The best tasting readily-available (affordable Russian) stout ever made is Old Rasputin.
    Kendo, ThisWangsChung and ESeab like this.
  24. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Yeah I think FIS comes and goes pretty quick around here in Michigan. The places I saw that posted that had it were all doing releases so I figured it would be gone in a day or 2 at the most.

Is there any still around Michigan? I haven't seen any.
  25. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I had my first Founders Impy Stout shortly after I posted this question, and based on first impressions, I agree with you. It is a fantastic beer.
  26. I just saw a bunch of 4-packs of this, it sounds like I should go buy at least a couple of them.
  27. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

My experience has been this:

I'm of the opinion that it's availability is much closer to FBS than Backwoods, for example, but I do know other regions have a lot more difficulty. I can go into a bunch of different stores right now and pick up a four pack on a whim on the west side of the state. Of course, it's also home territory.
  28. I hear Founders actually makes more of KBS (!) than they do FIS.
  29. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Ill have to keep my eyes opened. I havent seen any in my usual haunts though. I need to get some of that and a 6 of Expo too before its gone for the year again.
  30. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

I bought a 4-pack of FIS when it first showed up in my area not too long ago. Then I had a bottle, gave it the highest review I've ever given to a beer (out of nearly 1000 full reviews) and went out a couple days later and bought another 4-pack.

Yeah, it's that good (at least IMHO).
    _Joe_ likes this.
  31. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I also agree with this, I do love FBS and I currently have both in the fridge, but I like FIS just a bit better.
    Drew26 likes this.
  32. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

its a slightly bitter boozy dark chocolate taste vs a smoother coffee oatmeal flavor. Overall I'd go with FIS, although both are in my top 5 stouts I've ever had.
    Drew26 and jglowe77 like this.
  33. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

It's good enough that I went and picked up another 4 pack today. Good way to drink away a snow day. ;)
    Kendo likes this.
  34. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I find FIS to be extremely unbalanced. I'd rather have a Brooklyn Chocolate any day. FIS is a tongue fucker.
    joeseppy likes this.
  35. FIS has to be my favorite stout. Mouthfeel is uncomparable... and where FBS is sweet chocolate FIS is layer after layer of bitter chocolate.
  36. FIS is my favorite non barrel aged stout and I enjoy it more than quite a few BA ones as well. Awesome beer
  37. Dare I say all three are fairly dreadful
    joeseppy likes this.
  38. Dare to say whatever you want...but if you are asking, you already know that few will agree with this statement.

Edit: so not really worded as a question, but still, few will agree with this statement.
  39. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Savant (330) New York Dec 16, 2009

Add me: FIS > FBS --- By far
  40. A real simple answer is just by reading the bottles. fbs=oatmeal stout with coffee and chocolate added, fis=russian imperial stout , highly hopped and higher alcohol.