1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jglowe77, Jan 28, 2013.

1. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Stick with your milkshakes!

2. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Any experience aging FIS? Anyone ever had a FIS vertical tasting?

3. I had it after a year an liked it much more han fresh. I bought a couple of 4 packs this year to tuck away.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  4. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I've done side by side fresh bottles with a two year old and one year old bottle and always liked fresh better. That said, it holds up well so no harm in aging a few yourself.

richardflyr likes this.
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

drink half, stash away half

6. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I'm not one to go to far out of my way for any beer and I bought it on 3 seperate occasions. There may even be a chance that I could find it still on the shelves at a particular grocerty store in ann arbor.

7. I'd love to know what you consider to be a great imperial stout.

8. FBS, FIS and KBS are all different base beers. They all rule.

9. I also live in the Boston area and have been able to acquire well over a case of FIS. Persistence and relationships goes a long way. Additionally, still know of a store in Boston with 7-8 6-packs of BCBS sitting around. Craziness. I just can't bring myself to buy anymore. lol Tough problem to have.

10. i have also managed to get plenty of FIS, but it is by no means "readily available" imho. my definition of "readily available" should be that somebody who doesn't pester the beer manager every week about new releases can still get their hands on some.

as for BCBS, i assume you mean 4-pks. but in any case goose island is quirky because they're AB-inbev, and so it often goes to accounts that sell the most AB-inbev product (bud, stella, et al), and thus aren't always the same retailers that craft consumers frequent.

11. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Founders Imperial Stout is actually the base for Centennial IPA before they add the hops.

12. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

I decided to pour FIS and FBS in my oil tank a while back and got much better results with the FIS.

beerranger likes this.
  13. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

imo,

it's hard to compare FIS to FBS... so different.

14. JohnDMartin

JohnDMartin Initiate (0) Kentucky Jan 13, 2013

Get this... I bought a 3 pack, tasted it, then went back and bought a CASE... IT'S THAT GOOD

Kendo likes this.
  15. Sorry about that typo. Yes, meant 4-packs. Agreed, the store I'm refering to is a strong bud account. Also, I'm positive most beer managers I deal with consider me a great customer who supports what they also enjoy - the expansion of the craft beer segment. Pretty sure I'm not considered a "pest."

16. i have both FIS and FBS in the frig i think the FBS is better both are great tho i think backwoods blows them both out of the water

17. Aren't we all?

beerranger likes this.
  18. hehe, i'm just using "pester" in a purely descriptive manner w/o pejorative intent. it does suck for beer dept workers at certain stores however, since they don't take lists or pre-order requests and/or don't do online updates, so that i have to keep checking in every other day or so.

beerranger likes this.