1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout vs. Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by n2185, Feb 17, 2013.

1. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

Before quaffing FIS, I know that Narwhal keelhauls it across the seas until it's delivered to a disappointed Russian Czar, I mean Putin.
  2. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I really enjoyed Narwhal. But there are few stouts that come close in flavor and mouthfeel to FIS. But FIS is often hard to come by in these parts. Damn shame it is. :(
  3. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Oh man that would be some great friends or connections hehe
  4. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I like TenFIDY, but I think it's a bit below the other two. I also think it falls in a different category of RIS's since it's sweeter and creamier than FIS or Narwhal fresh. TenFIDY is more like Expedition to me.
  5. I will let you know when i get it.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Sad to say, I'm not wowed by either of these. They're good, but, well...they're good.
  7. narwhal didnt do much for me. i bought one four pack and had no desire for more. founders imperial stout is much more to my liking.
    ESeab likes this.
  8. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I agree it's on another level. The sweet, syrupy, boozy level.
  9. That's an interesting comparison, as Expedition is known for being VERY bitter fresh (moreso than most other FIS's) - I don't think Expedition is that sweet, and for me, it's actually pretty damn comparable to FIS and is only edged out slightly (and it may be as good as FIS when aged as I hear the bitterness mellows out).

Also, I am kind of shocked/repulsed that FIS is only a 97. That's only given the fact that FBS is a 100 (and I DAMN love FBS too! I think it deserves a 100 as well), but as far as the two go, I think FIS is clearly the more robust and complex beer. It's kind of like FBS's more mature, well-rounded older brother.
  10. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

I was also not particularly impressed with Narwal. It had a nice hop profile but lacked the depth and texture of FIS. I'd have to agree with the general sentiment that FIS is first class and quite possibly the best RIS available (to me) in a 4 pack.
  11. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

have not read any of the responses here, but FIS wins...not only against Narwhal, but against many, MANY other double stouts...such a complex beer...
  12. n2185

Hrm, perhaps I just haven't had that beer fresh enough. I've only had it a few times and can't really say how old it was each time. It's one of those beers that I either don't see on shelves or, when I do see it, I think "I should pick up a sixer of that sometime soon when I can afford to pay $16 per sixer" and then don't get it.

On topic, I picked up another 4-pack of FIS today. That makes my third.
  13. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Narwhal was thin and weak - no interest in any more. FIS is excellent.
  14. Narwhal is solid but FIS is much better.
  15. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I think narwhal has a fuller body and a bigger flavor. However, with that being said, I really enjoy the ris, with it being a little milder, it is way easier to drink, and drink a couple at a time.
  16. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I thought these two were very different. FIS is more comparable to Ten Tidy while Narwhal is more comparable to Stone RIS (with a bit of age on it).

If I had to pick one over the other, I gotta go with FIS.
  17. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

I use Ten Tidy and my whites come out much whiter!
    sukwonee likes this.
  18. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Maybe in terms of mouthfeel, I would agree with that comparison. Otherwise... Ten Fidy can't hold a candle to FIS in terms of taste, and is just quite different. Narwhal was a really nice surprise this year, and I enjoyed it more than Ten Fidy, but doesn't touch FIS either.

FIS is just better in every regard - more aromatic, roasty, full-bodied, smooth, and just tasty. My favorite non-barrel aged stout. And for $12/4 pack, it's pretty awesome.
  19. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

WTF? I consider Ten Fidy to be closer to something like Dark Lord, while FIS is a much more delicate, complex RIS
  20. FIS is awesome ! has anyone tried a lot of other stouts at room temp like this one? i think it taste great this way
    Drew26 and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  21. You would get a better response comparing Yeti to Narwhal. To which I would reply "how much you want to spend?"
    80$ gets you yeti. 50$ gets you Narwhal.
  22. I give FIS a light chill(10-15 in the fridge max) before I drink it. Its much better room temp than cold.
    regularjohn likes this.
  23. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I still can't find the Founder RIS anywhere, but the Narwhal was very disappointing to me considering I think SN's porter and stout are both excellent.
  24. jjboesen

jjboesen Advocate (550) Maryland Feb 1, 2002

They're both good ... but Victory Storm King; that's the one that belongs to the ages.
    Flashy and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  25. I just didn't like Narwhal at, too much carbonation and to smokey of a roast. FIS fa sho!!!
  26. sukwonee

I didn't say Ten Fidy was better than FIS, I said it was comparable in terms of style. Roasty, thick, dark fruits, chocolate-y stout rather with less hop forward. I thought Narwhal had more hop bite and more in your face, compared to FIS. I was just making the point that Narwhal and FIS were quite different in terms of the styles (although both are imperial stouts).
  27. sukwonee

Really? Ten Fidy is closer to Dark Lord than it is to FIS? I have had all three (all fresh bottles) and DL did not remind me of Ten Fidy at all. DL was quite unique on its own way (although disliked by many), while Ten Fidy was more true to the RIS style, imo.
  28. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

If LeBron dominates so much why did he have to be teamed up with 2 other All- stars to win 1 ring???

pipped was a solid player, but would he have been an All-star if he weren't on the same team as MJ? It's not even Apples and Oranges. LeBron is amazing but MJ changed the NBA. Wins 6 rings with no Center or Strong Power Forward, seriously, no comparison....

And FIS > Narwahl
  29. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

Founder's>Narwhal.
  30. xanok

Pippen was an all star without Jordan.

Also, Jordan had the help of one of the greatest defenders and rebounders of all time.
  31. Docrock

And who would that be? Gotta remember, the won 6 rings...with 2 completely different teams. The only 3 guys on all 6 teams were MJ, Pip, and Horace Grant...
  32. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Pt5 is better than both of these.
  33. n2185

Have you had FIS fresh? It's not as hoppy as Narwhal, but it clocks in at 60 IBUs and is nowhere near as sweet as TenFIDY IMO. FIS with a year or two is more similar. While comparing any stout to Dark Lord is an insult to said stout, I'd say TenFIDY is more like a less boozy version of DFH WWS or Darkness.
  34. xanok

That would be Dennis Rodman. Horace Grant was playing for the Magic at the time of the last three championships.
    The Bulls starting five during the last three championships:

SG-Jordan
    PG-Ron Harper
    C-Luc Longley
    SF-Pippen
    PF-Rodman

That's three hall-of-famers in the starting lineup. So Lebron has two all star teammates, and so did Jordan.
  35. xanok

Ten Fidy is far too sweet to consider it a more traditional RIS.
  36. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Great beer, but I prefer FIS. Of course, I am probably only saying this because I was only able to buy two singles of that one..
  37. Docrock

So I'll say again 2 completely different teams...6 rings... Also look at that starting 5. Where are your points coming from? Not Rodman, Longley, or Harper, and Pippen's strength was his D...MJ made all those guys plus the next 3-4 off the bench better.
  38. xanok

He doesn't win those rings without Pippen and Rodman, no matter how you slice it.
  39. xanok

And Pippen was good for about 20 ppg. So ya, other people on that team could score. Also Rodman was averaging 15 rpg during that time. That's an insane amount of second chance opportunities.

*checks profile*. Ah. You're from Illinois. Pointless conversation.
  40. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Sout > Founders Imperial Stout> Sierra Nevada Narwal