1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout vs. Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by n2185, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Don't get me wrong, FIS is really good as is Narwhal. It's like choosing between a Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW. Really can't go wrong- so you just pick based on your subjective preference!
  2. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

B*tch, pleeuz!
    [​IMG]
    Beerandraiderfan and Docrock like this.
  3. Storm King for the win. ;)
  4. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

From Illinois now, originally from Detroit so your point is???

Checks ur profile "30 years old...so you know Jordan from video games??? I saw Jordan vs Bird, Jordan vs " Bad Boys" in person..

Magic and Bird changed the NBA, Jordan transformed it!

LeBron has one thing over MJ...height, everything else goes to MJ
  5. Docrock

Love Kurt Rambis in the background with those glasses, my brother had ones just like em!
  6. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Love them both. They both have a place in my fridge currently alongside Expedition, CW BBS, BCBS, Old Raspy, and FBS.
  7. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Love how this became a basketball debate! (not being sarcastic FYI, I'm a basketball fan)
  8. Brunite

This.

From someone who also was around to see all 6 rings earned.
    Docrock likes this.
  9. Docrock

He won 3 without Rodman....

And Pippens career avg was only 16/game, and the only reason it's that high is Jordan was gone for 2 years after his Father was killed. Those were Pips best seasons averaging just over 20 pts/ game
    Brunite likes this.
  10. Brunite

Yes....but Horace Grant was a pretty good "poor man's" Rodman!
    Beerandraiderfan and Docrock like this.
  11. Docrock

Season ticket holder for rings 4,5, and 6!

And FIS still>Narwhal...
    Brunite likes this.
  12. Brunite

Agree....but still love'm both.

Envious on the tix!
  13. Docrock

A good role player...just like the unsung heroes...Paxson for the first 3 and Kerr for the second 3
  14. Brunite

....and Luc Longley.....the original White Mamba!!:p
    GeezLynn and Docrock like this.
  15. Docrock

17th row behind scorers table, just to the Bulls side of center court. Wish I still had em
    Brunite likes this.
  16. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

How is it possible that you are screwing up readily available information? Seriously. Pippen averaged 21, 19, and 22 ppg during the Bulls first 3 championships. During the second three he averaged 19, 20, and 19 ppg. The two years Jordan was gone, he averaged 22 and 21 ppg. It's like you're just making shit up right now.
  17. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Man, the Bros sure have gotten lenient. A thread going this direction used to get nuked by the third non-beer focused reply. For what it's worth, I know Rambis is a Sierra Nevada guy.
    Docrock likes this.
  18. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I give the edge to Narwhal over Founders due to more complex flavor,besides that both great beers,rate and decide.Cherrs
    Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  19. Docrock

Better check years, first Champ season 90-91 Pip avg 17.8
    91-92 avg 21.0
    92-93 avg 18.6
    93-94 MJ first retired avg 22.0
    94-95 MJ comes back just before playoffs, Pip season avg 21.4
    95-96 greatest team record of all time (72-10), Pip avg 19.4
    96-97 Pip avg 20.2
    97-98 end of Championship run, Pip avg 19.1

This is from Basketball reference.com....which coincidentally doesn't even rank LeBron in the top 10 of all time :) he's #11

Nice try though
  20. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I think I had FIS around June-ish of last year. So the bottle I had was a few month old (does FIS get released around December?) I do not recall it being hoppy much at all.

It's also been a while since I had a can of Ten Fidy, but for some reason, I do not remember it being that sweet. I have had WWS and Darkness and I agree that the three beers are comparable somewhat, although fresh WWS is just a boozy mess imo.
  21. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I thought Narwhal was very good, but I thought Founders RIS was epic.
  22. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Boy, this topic has completely derailed.

Yeah, it is bottled in early December. I've not had a 6 month old bottle (that I remember), but with a year on it, it is definitely a lot less bitter. It still has a little bitterness toward the finish, but not nearly as much so as it does fresh. TenFIDY is far from the sweetest stout out there, but I tend to divide imperial stouts into robust or sweet/creamy categories and it is definitely the latter for me. Then again, I don't know that I've had it really fresh (though I did have it on tap at their new Brevard brewery). WWS is borderline undrinkable fresh, but is quite good with ~5 years on it. I don't know that it's good enough to justify waiting 5 years, but if you come across an old bottle like I did.
  23. Yeah, I think FIS is slightly better than Narwhal too. Slightly.

Cool revisionist history otherwise, but fact is MJ failed season after season trying to win a ring until he was paired with 2+ all stars as well (well actually he was still failing with Oakley & Pippen before they made offseason moves, but that's all forgotten, but how dare the Heat and Lebron try and better themselves).

History will show MJ didn't change the NBA, the Dream Team in the Olympics changed the NBA and allowed it to blossom into a competitive worldwide sport that now has #1 draft picks happening from all over the world instead of just from one country like in MJ's day. Similar to Honus Wagner, MJ was big fish in a little pond era. Willie Mays, Lebron James, they played in a much deeper and talented pool.

Similar I guess in that while a regional product like FIS might be better, SN revolutionized the game on a grander scale.
    Beerandboards likes this.
  24. I agree with everything you said, including the FIS v. Narwahl aspect.

I think that, overall, Lebron has a more physically impressive game/skillset. His combination of size and speed is probably unmatched in history. He's got the bigger than the fast guys, faster than the big guys element like nobody else I can think of. Mostly, he's bigger and faster than anyone on the court. His passing is great (probably a bit overrated though, IMO, due to the fact that you don't expect him to be able to pass as well as he does). He could play and defend almost all 5 positions.

MJ is probably a better actual defender, but he cannot guard the breadth of people that LBJ can guard. MJ is a better shooter and overall scorer, particularly in the second third of his career, when he mixed an improved outside game with the ability to take the ball strong inside. MJ was not as good a passer.

All of these things are close. Largely, its MJ 10, LBJ 9.5 in one category and then LBJ 10 MJ 9.5 in another category.

MJ's Bulls were not slouches. Phil is a douschebag but hes perhaps the greatest coach ever. Pippen is 50 greatest all timer. Rodman was excellent. And BeerandRaiders is correct, the NBA was not as good in the mid 90s as it is now. Were the Ewing/Starks Knicks a great team? No, but they were perennial Eastern Conference Finalist.

All that being said there is no question who I want to have the ball down by 1 with 8 seconds left. Lebron is just not even in MJ's neighborhood as far as being clutch, at least not yet. Who knows whether he ever will be. The Mavs/Heat finals, he was nowhere to be found. Cavs/Celts eastern conference playoffs? Even now, he's not even the best closer on his own team.

There is no doubt that either MJ or LBJ can get you to game 7 of the NBA finals (with the correct supporting cast). The question is, if you're down by 1 with 8 seconds left in that game 7, do you want MJ with the ball or LBJ? I'm taking MJ all damn day.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  25. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Founder's for the win here,again and again.

Cheers
  26. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I love how every time there's a ______ vs. ______ beer thread, invariably I will not have had one of those beers because they're not available here, that I know of. I've never seen anything by Founders sold in my area. However, I really like Narwhal, but was not overly impressed by Ten Fidy. My personal taste, I would go with Narwhal... But would love to try FIS. Especially since it "blows away" Narwhal.
  27. Docrock

I don't know what history you think I revised. NBA.com, Sports Illlustrated, ESPN, basically all agree with that.

Magic Johnson said, There's Michael, then theres the rest of us, Larry Bird referred to him as God disguised as Michael Jordan...Not my words theirs...I think he was an amazing player, nuff said. It is hard to compare people that never played against each other in their primes

But the fact that he transformed the NBA is without question...He started the longer shorts, although John Salley always joked about Jordan's early onset of Male Pattern Baldness, Shaved heads became cool. Then you talk about the stratospheric endoresement deal which changed all sports with Air Jordan and Nike..His contract was the first ever in modern day sports with, "the love of the game" clause...

And finally, what little kid back then didn't want to be like Mike?

Just like Beer, we all have our own opinions. But just going to his profile on NBA.com starts out with, ( and the bold is theirs not mine),

"By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. Although, a summary of his basketball career and influence on the game inevitably fails to do it justice, as a phenomenal athlete with a unique combination of fundamental soundness, grace, speed, power, artistry, improvisational ability and an unquenchable competitive desire, Jordan single-handedly redefined the NBA superstar. "
  28. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm waiting for the next history-rewrite movie: "Michael Jordan: Vampire Hunter"
    Docrock likes this.
  29. He was definitely one of the most prolific players of the United States only non international era NBA.

Give it a few decades, he'll be compared to some of the best athletes of the "white only" era in other sports. A guy who was in a league with a limited pool of talent.

Its easy to make good beer in a small pool of distribution. When I can get Founders in South Korea (or California) I'll be impressed as much as I am with Sierra Nevada.
  30. Do I have to pick one?
  31. CEDAMA

CEDAMA Savant (340) California Aug 5, 2011

founders imperial stout takes it but narwhal is right behind founders russian imperial stout..
  32. lic217

lic217 Savant (410) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Pippin was an NBA MVP candidate the year MJ was playing Baseball. Pippin was extremely talented player. One of the best all around players in the game. However, I agree that lebron should never of taken the easy way out to get a ring. He is a coward for that.
  33. Never tried FIS, but Narwhal is a solid RIS at most, nothing spectacular. I would take FBS over it any day.
  34. FIS is far and away, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best RIS I have ever had. Among non-FIS Imperial Stouts, Narwhal is really good--it holds its own against beers like Old Raspy and Ten FIDY in my opinion--but FIS is just in a league of its own. The more Founders stuff I try, the more impressed I am with this brewery.
  35. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Love FIS, wasn;t a huge fan of Narwhal. This is an easy one for me.
  36. FIS by a mile for me. Narwhal is very good but doesn't "wow" me. Every time I take a sip of FIS I am like, "goddamn that's good".
  37. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

FIS > Narwhal IMO
  38. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Founders all day, everyday...CHEERS
  39. This is my first year having either one, and I am liking the Narwhal better. I have a hunch the Founders RIS will do better with age, so I am gonig to age the rest of it and drink the Narwhal.
  40. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Aficionado (130) Ohio Feb 20, 2013

Just cracked my first FIS and it is amazing. Perfect taste and viscosity. I had some Narwhal a few months back and generally enjoyed it, but was not "wowed" like I am with this FIS.