1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Founders Imperial Stout vs. Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by n2185, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (455) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

FIS > Narwhal, and it's not close.....now Expedition Stout vs. FIS....that would be a really tough one.

2. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

FIS out of the gate for sure, but I want to taste narwhal with a couple hears on it.

3. My pick is Narwhal on name and label art alone!

4. Oh and I think we should add Storm King to the mix. Just the raise the blood pressure some more. I love these posts!

5. mgregg11

mgregg11 Aspirant (30) New York Dec 16, 2014

FIS hands down over Narwhal. My top 5 stouts in order:Canadien Breakfast, Bourbon County, Founders Imperial, Bell's Expedition, Kentucky Breakfast.

DFH WWS might be able to crack the top 5, but since I haven't had it in 3 years or so I can't say for sure.

6. BKnarr

BKnarr Savant (295) Florida Sep 5, 2012

7. Bells Expedition for me, but you guys realize that this thread is two years old!?!o_O

ColdOne, smb and SackBlabbath like this.
  8. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Savant (360) Kentucky Nov 28, 2014

Wish this would have been a poll, but anyways FIS is killing narwhal.

9. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Advocate (630) Texas Jun 28, 2014

Narwhal is very good, but FIS is possibly the best non BA stout IMO.

10. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Savant (360) Kentucky Nov 28, 2014

Gravediggin Greg did it.

mgregg11, Hayden34 and mccorvey like this.
  11. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Savant (355) Nevada Apr 26, 2014

FIS. This is not even closed. Narwhal is awful. The barrel aged version doesn't help. You can only dress up a turd so much.

12. Catracho5

Catracho5 Champion (840) California Aug 10, 2013

This is like asking me to choose one of my children as my favorite, couldn't do it. I've had Founders Imperial Stout once and I loved it, it's really good. I've been drinking Narwhal for three years and I've purchased a case each year, my 2012 did not make it very long but I've got some 2013 and 2104 in the cellar. I love the dark fruit, baker's cocoa in Narwhal along with bitterness when it's fresh. It mellows out really well. I really couldn't pick one over the other.

Highbrow likes this.
  13. smb

smb Internet Sales Assistant (470) California Aug 3, 2014 Staff Member

Man... I really love both but... Founders by far.

14. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (740) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

15. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Savant (420) Georgia Nov 15, 2008

Incredibly different profiles. Narwhal has a malt-forward profile fresh, while FIS is more hop-forward fresh. In addition, Narwhal's alcohol is more hidden than FIS. As far as taste goes, Narwhal has more of a stone-fruit flavor vs. FIS's more chocolate flavor.

I find Narwhal more quaffable fresh, but FIS has better potential for improvement over the long term.

16. ColdOne

ColdOne Advocate (570) New York Jan 19, 2013

FIS for me. I really like Narwhal, but it's no contest.

Is this thread really 2 years old? Maybe I've posted here before. :rolleyes:

17. dank203

dank203 Savant (495) New Jersey May 21, 2012

18. MaximumYuks

MaximumYuks Savant (430) Ohio Nov 30, 2013

They're both terrific, but it's all about Plead the 5th for me (and Bell's Expedition).

philsunset, westlaunboy and Jmorey like this.
  19. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Savant (380) Texas Nov 27, 2012

Narwhal

Catracho5 likes this.
  20. WillemHC

WillemHC Aficionado (195) Utah Jun 21, 2013

ten fidy and yeti

Lodisgrisen likes this.
  21. mabermud

mabermud Champion (800) Washington Dec 13, 2006

22. I used to absolutely love FIS but something about it tastes off putting to me now, so Narwhal is the pick.

23. Never had FIS, but 2012 Narwhal tasted spectacular yesterday.

24. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Aficionado (215) Michigan Oct 20, 2014

Ya know, I actually don't like FIS and I love Founders!

I am not good, as a lot of you are, at describing taste in beer, but it has this flavor I don't love. I don't know if many of you have had The Muddy from Goose Island, but it has a flavor like that does and it is one I don't like.

25. prock180

prock180 Savant (335) Arizona Mar 9, 2013

FIS takes the win for me. I would say that bells expedition and FIS is a much closer battle. I've never drank a Narwhal and thought oh that reminds me of FIS. But that's just me and I don't know very much :)

26. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poobah (1,020) New York Aug 25, 2010

I know I'm poll-obsessed lately, but damn if this thread didn't call for a poll, y'know? :rolleyes:
    Like, I wanna see the numbers without trying to tally 5 pages of discussion - the discussion can still take place, but I want to see a winner here! :p lol

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the double stout style, which basically includes Russian Imperials, and I really enjoy both Narwhal and FIS, but I've noticed that FIS actually blows me away every time for the past 2-3 years, whereas Narwhal always comes across the same. The FIS has a more pronounced hop character, which creates a "rustic elegance" whereas Narwhal, by way of comparison, runs just a teensy bit more on the sweet and syrupy side...

I'm going with FIS for the win :D

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  27. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Savant (410) Ohio Sep 4, 2014

I completely agree. Especially with a year or so of age on it.

Karnivool1 and Greywulfken like this.
  28. jlsims04

jlsims04 Savant (375) Illinois Jul 14, 2013

Pipeworks Abduction Blows them both out of the watter imo. However to the question at hand I love them both but would take Narwhal over FIS if offered both at the same time.

29. Nice old thread we have here.

Most definitely concur with some here that Founder's is in a different league. Narwhal's good stuff, but I found FIS to be one of the best non-BA stouts I've had to date.

Karnivool1 and Greywulfken like this.
  30. My thoughts exactly...

31. I like Narwhal, but not nearly as much as FIS. I buy a fair amount of FIS every year (along with lesser amounts of Stone IRS and Pt5). If I happen to need a Russian Imperial Stout fix out of season, I will pick up some Ten FIDY.

32. I still can't find Narwhal in my area

33. Hayden34

Hayden34 Savant (265) Georgia Aug 10, 2014

FIS by far IMO. I'm not a big fan of Narwhal. It has too much alcohol "burn" on the end for my liking. I've only had it fresh, so I'm can't speak for how it holds up when aged.

34. RobinLee

RobinLee Advocate (535) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

FIS blows Narwhal out of the water for mouthfeel. That said, Narwhal's still super tasty, doesn't hurt that I love SN.

35. philsunset

philsunset Savant (285) Michigan Oct 3, 2013

36. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,055) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Over the weekend I had a 2012, 2014, and BA Narwhal. The aged Narwhal was sad and definitely not a candidate for aging. The 2014 was what I'm used to which is an above average but not world class beer. The BA version was an improvement but certainly doesn't compare with similarly priced BA stouts.

FIS by a mile.

37. FIS, and it's not close. Good thing about FIS is I got it about $10 a case cheaper this year than last. Although it's been a bit tougher to come by. Seems like it was distributed much later this year as well.

38. mgregg11

mgregg11 Aspirant (30) New York Dec 16, 2014

The thread may be 2 years old, but the debate is still open!

mccorvey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.