1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Imperial Stout with One Year On It

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Porkhustle, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Just picked up a 4-pack of last year’s Founders Imperial Stout (New Beer in LES NYC…loads of old stouts, sours, Belgians on the shelves there), as I patiently await this year’s to arrive. In the past I’ve always drank this fresh, and I’m not overly into cellaring beers if I like them when I try them fresh. That said, I really don’t need 8 bottles of this stuff, as my stock at home is borderline out of control.

My question, at last, is does this beer generally get better, or do you prefer it fresh?

I realize I’ll find out myself this weekend when I have one, but thought I would get a consensus, which I cannot readily get from the reviews

2. I think it does generally get bet with time but at the store you got it from they probably had it below 40 degrees which will slow the aging process generally aging best occurs between 50-60 degrees depending on type of beer
    but with that being said I still have some of last years I am eagerly awaiting to try as I feel the chocolate will definetly come out more i just had a older FBS and it was excellent

3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Actually this store very much has the light and temps of a home cellar. Dark as night with a mild to cool room feel. The bottles were slightly cool to the touch. Thanks man

4. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

FIS with 8-12 months on it is fantastic.

5. Founders IS with 1+ year on it is my favorite non barrel aged stout.

buffs9, patm1986 and vivasbeer like this.
  6. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I had 2 of last year's in the last couple of months: 1 was divine, and the next one was not so great (although the mouthfeel is always awesome).

7. In the past, I aged a bottle after having it fresh. It does age very well in my opinion, but I prefer this beer fresh.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  8. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Fresh, the coffee roast makes the beer elite. Still pretty tasty aged.

9. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

Did a side by side the other day with a fresh one and a year old bottle. While great fresh, the year old was smoother with a bigger chocolate profile and had a much creamier mouthfeel.

patm1986, wolfeman007 and founder26 like this.
  10. jdprmd

jdprmd Aficionado (195) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Aged is way better in my opinion... big rich chocolate and subtle dark fruit notes develop taste wise... and as LOCAL said a much creamier mouthfeel.

patm1986 and founder26 like this.
  11. I agree 100%...did this last week and the 11 was very smooth and had a fuller mouthfeel. So much so that I took the other 3 2012s and put them in the back of the cellar and pulled the 11s upfront :)

founder26 likes this.
  12. Founders Imperial Stout with One Year On It--- IS AWESOME!

I prefer FIS with a year on it. I am not crazy about it fresh. Thats when it time to drink that beer. Wish that I would have bought some last year so that i could be drinking some year old FIS right now!

founder26 likes this.
  13. this thread inspired me to go grab another 4 pack of 2012 at my local shop to put away..while there and talking to beer man about how good it is with a year on it...we went back and grabbed me a 4 of 2011..SCORE!

Ish1 likes this.
  14. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Want to age a 4pk as well...question, I know it says "keep refrigerated," which will just mostly put a halt to the aging process, but my "cellar" is just my basement and it really doesn't get into that 50-60 sweet spot range, more like 60-70, that ok? I know not perfect. Thanks...sorry to piggyback on the thread.

15. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I have 3 bottles stashed away but I think I might pick up another 4-pack next week solely because of this thread.

Also, I'm interested to see if there are any answers to Drew26's question- I pretty much have the same conditions for my beer hoard (I wouldn't call it a cellar yet).

Drew26 likes this.
  16. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

It will be fine. I've found no ill effects with anything at or below room temperature.

17. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Great thanks. That's what I figured and I have found the same thing with other beers, just wanted to double-check with the FIS. It's awesome fresh, but always gotta find out what a year or two will do to a beer. :)

18. My "cellar" is the cabinets above the fridge in my kitchen..it stays 65ish up there year round..not ideal but I have had good results with the couple of things I have aged for a year or two. I figure the fact that its a bit warm means I probably shouldn't leave things up there for much long than 2yrs. Thoughts?

19. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I have no real experience cellaring but I imagine that warmer temps mean it'll age a bit faster than lower temps. So 1-2 year verticals would probably be as far as you want to go depending on the beer in question.. since we're talking about FIS, my uneducated guess would be 2-3 years max, rather than 4-5 like you could with some of the bigger ones like BCBS.

20. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (365) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Just drank a 11 and 12. We all had the 11 first and all agreed you could drink that one pretty regularly. The 12 was really roasted and powerful. It was way better aged