1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders KBS bottle questions

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HeadyTheElder, Mar 2, 2013.

1. I've got two KBS bottles. One has a bottled on date of 2/17/12, but also has the numbers "02 12" embossed on the bottom of bottle. The other bottle does not have a bottled on date, but has the numbers "02 10" embossed on the bottom.

Is it reasonable to assume the latter one is from February 2010?

Also, any thoughts on when KBS reaches it peak would be appreciated. I am trying to decide when I should drink these two. I plan on drinking the 2012 KBS soon, just because I have never had it before.

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

The date on the glass was always the year before the release. So your bottle embossed with 2 10 is actually an '11.

I had a bottle dated 2/17/12 to myself last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.

DrewAndy likes this.
  3. So then it seems like my bottle dated 2/17/12 should have an 11 embossed on the bottle, instead of the 12. Did they change up the system?

4. I wouldn't go by the bottle date.

There's an inkjet date stamp on the neck - just below the label.
    It says
    Bottled, then the date, then the time of day

It's hard as hell to see - you have to get it just in the right lighting.
    Here's a couple of examples (this KBS bottle is dated 2/25/11) so you know where to look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gyle41386 and HeadyTheElder like this.
  5. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

'09 - IBU text is diagonal w/ the label being more yellow than later releases
    '10 - Same coloration as '09 but the IBU text is horizontal
    '11 - Familiar color of label with black inkjet date (you might have to tip the bottle around with light passing through to see it, but it's there)
    '12 - Pretty obvious with the yellow date stamp

I have all of these in my basement and that's how I tell them all apart. Hope this helps! I know there's a better description somewhere else but I can't seem to find it.

zachary80 and HeadyTheElder like this.
  6. Big thanks for posting this. I have a couple of bottles of KBS but couldn't remember which release they were from. I looked all over but couldn't find anything. After reading this post, I found a really faint stamp almost right away. 2/08/10. Excellent.

7. ask4tristan

ask4tristan Aspirant (40) Georgia Feb 10, 2012

Okay, I went to a local bottle shop last week - a week after release - and begged for a bottle. Even though I was way late, the store owner gave me a 4 pack of dust covered KBS for some stupid high price. Of course I paid it. Heres the deal: Its 2013 now (for future readers) and the stamp on the bottle is 02/17/12. Did I actually get last years release? If I can skip on a year of cellaring, then it was sure as hell worth the price.

Also, I've never had KBS before but Im working on the first now. It tastes quite pre-cellared. There is little edge.

8. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Yep, that's last year's KBS.

9. So they have been putting the date on the bottles for a while then? I have a 2011 and didnt see a date but I hope I just didnt look good enough. Ill have to check when I get home

10. This site is useless. It says founders has bottle dates but I cant find bottle dates on any of mine. Anyone know of label changes over the years maybe

11. imfrommichigan

12. That doesnt say anything about the label on 11, 12, or 13. If I cant find the stamp , which I cant that doesnt help

13. imfrommichigan

'10 and '11 are really hard to see. You have to tilt the bottle around so light passes through the neck with the beer moved out of the way. If you drink it, it will be a lot easier to see!

14. I heard the ink rubs off real easy though. I feel this may have happened with my 11 that I got in a trade....well I hope its an 11.

15. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

KBS peaks a few months from bottling. Sorry.

podunkparte likes this.
  16. It sounds more like the label on your bottle is useless...

17. Pretty much

18. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/kbs-vintage.48772/#post-626308

You don't need the bottling stamp. Look at the 2 digit o the glass. And yes, the old black inkjet dates used to rub off all the time (or just not get printed).

19. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Imo kbs starts falling off too much for my tastes after about 8 months

20. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Just drink the damn thing.

Before you get run over by a city bus or something.