1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders KBS release. Who's going?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by theDank, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

No need to rub salt Brosef Goebbels

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Wow. Glad I chose to stay home, watch hoops, drink the brews that I've got. I'm getting 2 bottles of KBS from a local shop and will be more than happy with that.

So am I being overly cynical to think that, given the number of folks that showed up so early, a large number of these bottles of KBS are going to show up on ebay and the like?

CWBlues likes this.
  3. stxSS07

I'm about to do the same thing. My buddy and I decided to have our own "KBS day" and drink what we've got laying around.

warbird07 likes this.
  4. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (310) Indiana May 4, 2011

I'm brewing with my buddies today. We have to kill a keg before we can fill it with a new beer, but I might bring one of my KBS along just for the hell of it.

5. stxSS07

Sounds like an awesome day to me. I've long since annihilated my supply of '11 KBS, which is why I was juiced to get there early this year.

My 2 local BA friends (who are hot and cold on here) and I plan on starting to brew once it warms up a bit. I'm sure I'll be flooding the Homebrew forum with rook questions.

6. jrcmlc

jrcmlc Savant (290) Illinois Aug 8, 2011

Surprise half case limit

7. mattyb

mattyb Aficionado (180) Michigan Jun 8, 2005

Glad I did my trades and decided to come home. I feel bad for all the people that camped out and will only get half a case or others that came from out of town and won't get any.

Not worth it for me to wait five hours for 3 4-packs.

Steimie and CWBlues like this.
  8. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I'm surprised there wasn't a riot. I'd be infuriated if I was one of the people who camped out for 12+ hours only to see my allotment cut in half. The whole point of going to the brewery ridiculously early is to guarantee yourself a case.

9. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (300) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

I want to see people who have been drinking since 6am or earlier, fumble around with 3 (4)pks and no box to hold them.

rhong187 likes this.
  10. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Founders probably should of brewed another kettle or two of the stuff.

11. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (310) Indiana May 4, 2011

Are there special KBS snifters for sale? I'll happily set up a trade for one. BM me.

12. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

They greatly expanded their brewing capacity in the last year, so they'll have way more KBS next year, at least -- how much they decide to release at the brewery vs. put in distribution is another question.

Not to rub salt in any wounds, but I'm glad I didn't make the trip out...

13. mattyb

mattyb Aficionado (180) Michigan Jun 8, 2005

Founders and other breweries need to realize that these have crossed the line from release to event. It isn't the best way but I think they should treat it like any event with a limited product ie. concert with seats. They just need to sell tickets for a nominal price a couple weeks before the event. Sell as many tickets as there are cases to buy.

It isn't perfect but at least that would alleviate some of the spontaneous disappointments(allocation cut in half), mules, people camping out, and people coming from out of town getting a hotel and striking out.

Mscarpen, EricCioe and bigpanic like this.
  14. It is only beer.

Vav, aorloski and Steimie like this.
  15. Oh well showed up at 6:30. Might have got the half case allotment had we stuck around....back to the D we went.

16. Showed up with a couple other BA's from milwaukee. Got in line at 5 and didn't get anything. Oh well, heading to White Castle. Crave Case > case of KBS

Msmith8814 likes this.
  17. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Or just kept KBS in Michigan.

18. BrewNoob

BrewNoob Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012

Well my consolation prize for today is visiting Bell's and Three Floyds. I can live with that.

EricCioe likes this.
  19. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (300) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

And they just added Iowa and Alabama for distribution

20. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Let me get this straight. You arrived at 5 AM and even with the halved allotment you got shut out?

21. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

Haha... typical. The hype ruined this event. I got there a half hour earlier than when I got the the CBS release and was pretty damn astounded to see the line. I ended up sharing some Black Note and a few other brews and did some trades. I left before the line opened to the bar. Looks like Founders may need to go the 3F or KtG route now and give tickets away prior. Again, as a local I could care less as I'll get more than enough from the pub and will find bottles from around the area... But I do feel bad for those that came from out of state and will get none.

22. jeebus23

jeebus23 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 19, 2010

I bet they do tickets next year. Pretty crazy how many people showed up, and how early. I miss the old days.

23. Yes sir. It's alright. We were upset at first, but that's how it goes. Not gonna try again next year. Great beer but there are plenty of others out there to drink.

24. aherstein

aherstein Disciple (60) Illinois Jul 27, 2011

So are they officially out? I'm still in line and it's moving, albeit very slowly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.