1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Launches KBS Week: March 18-22, 2014 (Grand Rapids), April 1st Release Date Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., February 14, 2014 – Founders Brewing Co. is happy to announce that they’re doing something a bit different for their release of Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) this year. Visitors to and residents of Grand Rapids will be able to enjoy it March 18–22. KBS will still be released starting on April 1 in limited quantities throughout our distribution footprint. KBS bottles will be released to our local market starting on Tuesday, March 25.

KBS is an imperial stout brewed with coffee and chocolates that ages in oak bourbon barrels for a year in the caves beneath Grand Rapids.

Bottles of KBS available for pickup in the Founders taproom will be released using a pre-ticketed reservation process on EventBrite. Bottles can be reserved beginning on Saturday, March 1, at 11am EST, and they will be available for pickup March 18–22. Ticket proceeds will go toward Grand Rapids Whitewater.

What’s new this year is Founders has decided to open up the release so that people coming to Grand Rapids for KBS can enjoy all of Beer City USA. Fifteen Founders-supporting craft-beer-centric bars and restaurants in the Grand Rapids area are each tapping a keg of KBS on a day and time of their choosing between March 18 and 21. KBS Week will culminate with the Founders taproom release party, where KBS will be poured all day on Saturday, March 22.

“We’re excited to turn the release of KBS into something that extends beyond the walls of Founders,” said Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand Dave Engbers. “KBS Week allows beer enthusiasts to celebrate the release of this beer with some of the retailers that make the West Michigan beer community so special.”

Ten area hotels will be offering KBS week packages—including discounted room rates, limited edition gear in rooms and more—with information available on the Experience Grand Rapids website.

Bottles of KBS will be available in the greater Grand Rapids area starting on March 25.

For full KBS Week details, head to kbsweek.com.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts—Dave Engbers and Mike Stevens—with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. brews complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders ranks among the top 30 largest craft breweries in the U.S. and is one of the fastest growing. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival and RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users often rate its beers among the best in the world. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild and the foundersbrewing.com.

###
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Love all the changes Founders has made.

Good on them for offering the GR market access to a little more KBS.

Looks like a ticket only guarantees you access to 8 bottles. I'm all for it maybe tickets will remain on sale for more than 30 seconds and crazy traders and hoarders won't get the lion's share.
  3. got to make sure my kid, wife, mom, dad and grandma all get a ticket so I can get two cases to myself. hmmm, gonna be tricky. I think I can pull it off.

family roadtrip!
    fugazidps likes this.
  4. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

I'll be there!
  5. core42

core42 Savant (495) Michigan May 5, 2010

There's a better solution?
    I'm sure Founders would love to hear it as they donate all of the money from the tickets so they gain nothing from using this system
  6. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

As with every bottle release, since Founders started the online ticket purchases, the money has always gone towards the Grand Rapids Whitewater initiative (http://grandrapidswhitewater.org/) They've been very transparent about this and its a good way to help out a cause you may, or may not, want to support.
    Bung, djl9701, JoeStepOner and 2 others like this.
  7. Jnashed

Jnashed Aficionado (135) Virginia Feb 14, 2014

Of course my fishing trip to Michigan and the GR area is the following week... Dont feel like driving all around GR and Michigan, but historically will it still be on tap around in the following weeks or at least at Founders itself?
  8. I agree with the folks who have already posted where the money goes. Founders is great in that respect. At least they are trying to give back to the community. I'm good with that. Other breweries that do something similar say they donate a "portion" of the proceeds. They never tell you where the money goes or how much they donate. They just say they do it....Hmmm, all cash sale of tickets with no way to monitor it? Yup, I trust them...I bet all of it goes to "charities". So there is definetly worse Founders could be doing.
  9. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (300) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

FTFY
  10. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I'm excited for this in coming iterations but it feels a little underdeveloped at this point. Unless Founders has negotiated pricing for those venues, I've seen BS and other rare Founders beers climb as high as $10-$12.

I do see this as a move to kind of silence the critics that miss out on KBS every and then moan on it's lack of availability.

Definitely excited and not knocking Founders. Just hope they involve a little more than just having it on tap that will undoubtably take advantage and gouge. Why not just have it on at Founders for a month?

Would love to see it culminate with the Black Party in the future and not quite sure why it hasn't in the past. They're both around the same time anyways.
    steebo777 likes this.
  11. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I don't think they'd have enough to have it on for a month, even if they did horde the kegs they're dispersing throughout the city. Maybe if they had a set number of kegs per day, and once they kicked, you'd have to wait until tomorrow. But Founders would be wall-to-wall packed constantly if they did that, and it'd probably last a couple of weeks at most.
  12. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I love Founders. Always trying to make things better for everyone. Can't hate them for trying, keep it up.
  13. Do you have to be 21 to go?
    Jake1605 likes this.
  14. This is honestly more disappointing than the release last year. They are sending 1 keg to each of these restaurants. That keg will last literally 30 minutes and then run out. It happened at Hopcat last year in February when they had Beer City USA week in Grand Rapids. Also they slashed the bottle count again and the limit is at 8 bottles now. You're not really boasting about traveling to Grand Rapids with that low bottle count.

And to those saying they'll have it on tap for a week after a release are wrong. Last year it was literally on tap KBS day on that Saturday. It was on tap Monday, wasn't on tap Tuesday, was back on tap on Wednesday and they ran out by Thursday. So it literally lasted 3 days on tap at Founders. I expect something similar this year.

They also sent kegs out to different restaurants last year anyways when KBS was released. It just looks like they've expanded the amount of restaurants.

The only redeeming thing about the release is the KBS party on Saturday where you can drink it all day on tap.
  15. My hat will be in the ring. Not sure I will get any. If I do, you know it'll make its way to AZ.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  16. You're the best man let me know if I need to wire you some money haha
  17. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

If this was the surprise for people in Grand Rapids, I'm very disappointed. All of these tap when I'm at work and will be gone before I can get out. At least I'll get plenty of bottles....
  18. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

i partake in quite a few hobbies and activities in life and i swear craft beer drinkers are the most entitled and whiny group of people ive ever come across. thank you founders for trying to spread the wealth. maybe next year though you can brew enough for every craft beer drinker to get at least one case and be able to get it on tap at every bar possible.
    JohnHugo, layinbrix, Bung and 22 others like this.
  19. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

oh and Founders if you could please make it so my KBS is delivered directly to my front door that would be great. i would rather not have to drive or wait in line with other humans to get my beer. please also make sure that the price is like barely above what it costs you to make the beer. if i could get two cases that would be great because i would like to trade a 4 pack for some Cable Car. also Founders if CBS isnt on tap at some point soon then your brewery sucks.
    Blutz, JohnHugo, layinbrix and 16 others like this.
  20. Donco

"Double Like", fishmish! Ain't it the truth...
  21. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (465) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

sounds awesome!
  22. Donco

You'll be getting a bottle or two from me, PA-Michigander, if I score some. You were really generous in your "care package" you sent me earlier in the year!
  23. I'm confused about this Eventbrite pre-ticketing process for the 2 4 packs. Is this ticket purchase on-line, or am I driving to GR to purchase the tickets at Founders? Can someone clarify?
  24. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

You have to get a ticket to buy up to 8 bottles on the day you specify. If you miss out (or if you win) you can go to the release party and drink all you want.

You buy the ticket online. They go fast.
  25. Also, keep in mind that they are expanding to MD in time for KBS with a few special MD debut tap takeovers.
    Fluteswell likes this.
  26. Thanks Fred
  27. I hope they learned from last year and don't put the tickets up at the same time as tickets for another big event -- last year the site crashed immediately. Then again, it actually helped - people gave up and you could still get tickets for Tues through Thurs up to 2 hours after the on sale.
  28. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

Will they be selling growlers?
  29. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Savant (290) Michigan Mar 31, 2010

No, they never sell growlers of KBS, nor for any of their "Class 3" beers.
  30. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

Ahh that makes sense then. I noticed they only had prices listed for Classes 1 and 2, I thought maybe Class 3 was unlisted or something. Too bad, along with the KBS I would love to get some of that Barrel Aged Red's Rye they have, that sounds very tasty
  31. kort27

kort27 Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

Aah, the good ole days when you could buy a case - miss those. My friend still has his full case from 2011 - he hasn't drank one of them. I tell him he's crazy - not sure what he's saving it for.

Good on Founders for trying to spread the love around - but it makes it really tough to want to travel for just eight. Have gone 4 years straight, but probably gonna miss this one.

God I feel old.
  32. No but they would have enough if they hoarded almost all of it like PTY. I'm not from Michigan and I think this should be a beer to help out the locals and local economy. Not distributed all over the country in super limited quantities, adding Maryland the day before release ARE YOU KIDDING?
  33. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I had seen last year shortly after the fiasco they stated they would be using someone else for that very reason.

I think everyone is missing the point that Founder's distro increased since KBS last year so the bottle count will definitely be thinner.
  34. I think Founders is doing a great job trying to spread the love, especially for the locals. I'm surprised so many people are upset by this. Hope to get a ticket!
    JohnHugo, djl9701 and Ckoz like this.
  35. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area with suggestions on the best chance of scoring some KBS this year? I know it's a pipe dream to even think I could score a case.. but I'd like to at least get a few bottles.
  36. core42

core42 Savant (495) Michigan May 5, 2010

Last year I believe it was Brown Paper Tickets that they used & had the fiasco with so this year they're using Eventbrite
    beerborn likes this.
  37. Honestly, probably by way of trade. Unless you've got an "in" at a store that usually gets stuff like that. Around here in Detroit, a lot of stores post on their Facebook page. And they DON'T do waiting lists. So I just created an interest page with a bunch of stores, breweries, etc. That way I can just launch FB, go to the interest page and anyone who posts about announcements is right there. No surfing through everyone elses random posts.
  38. Also....you have to be there in person, with the same ID used to buy the online ticket, and it has to be that day, in the specified time frame. Running a tight ship this year. Which is good!
  39. gjoker321

gjoker321 Savant (455) Florida Dec 26, 2007

Wow... Just wow. That is a dedication of olympic quality. Skip all those 'random posts' from friends and family and go straight to the beer release feed... I really can't make too much fun though, I did the same thing with twitter!