1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Launches KBS Week: March 18-22, 2014 (Grand Rapids), April 1st Release Date Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 14, 2014.

1. It was quite a list last year.

JT99125 likes this.
  2. I GOT SOME! i looked all over Omaha since Tuesday. every place i went to i was just one step behind. 7 places to be exact. at one store, the man who walked in the store in front of me got the last 4 pack. fut alas. today i got call from one of my informant. lol, dipped out of work for an hour and got the last pack at a not so traveled hy-vee here in town. (they only got two cases and kept them behind the counter to be asked for. still sold them in 2 hours.)

3. Got the last bottle last Binney's Bloomingdale at 4:40 pm. WDF! a new Chicago record?

4. jmk

jmk Aficionado (155) Illinois May 8, 2008

Non-trader here and I'm sure many will disagree, but IMO this is a major reason why so many releases are such a shitshow. Buying beer only to trade it? You can certainly do whatever you want; I'm just happy we aren't shopping in the same area.

DWheeler379 and Futurepoop like this.
  5. Pugfugly

Pugfugly Aspirant (30) Indiana Feb 20, 2014

There is so much discrepancy between how stores handle limited releases. With kbs I saw one store only sell to "regulars". I'm there weekly picking through their over-priced selection so I'm not sure how to become a "regular." One store just put them out to be bought first come first served with a limit. One store raffled tickets to buy it. And one store took down names once they got their shipment and held two bottles for everyone on the list to sell a couple days later. Oh well just a rant on the things we go through in the pursuit of great beer. At least I got some.

A2HB likes this.
  6. Jwhere

Jwhere Aficionado (175) Indiana Feb 25, 2014

Apparently I am looking at the wrong stores, I'd love to find KBS for $23 or less.

7. ohiobrew

ohiobrew Savant (400) Ohio Apr 27, 2013

Landed 2 bottles today for $11.99 plus tax. Drinking fantastic.

MichPaul likes this.
  8. I've been trying to find some for a week now and no success. Guess I'll just have to put some Breakfast Stout in the Randal with some Jack Daniels oak chips and pretend its KBS.

9. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Savant (420) Michigan Oct 13, 2013

That's like pretending you're having sex with a woman and not a tranny...

A2HB, core42 and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  10. How do you know what that's like?

11. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

I saw that they were tripling production next year (in another thread) is that true ? To be honest Bourbon County upped production with no loss in quality at all. It may even be better from last year.

It shouldn't be hard to do, it's not like bourbon where you have to wait 10 years. You up production one year and the next year you release more.

12. pgrenvicz

pgrenvicz Savant (325) Georgia Nov 15, 2013

That's messed up

13. Rkish22

Rkish22 Disciple (65) Georgia Mar 9, 2014

Was fortunate enough to get 3 KBS in the first week through intense searching. I plan on cellaring 1, so this past weekend a buddy and I decided to drink the other two KBS - then go grab some food.

On the way to get food we decide to just go check out the beer store (it's about 9 PM already). We are the only ones in this small shop that I frequent, the owner sees us grab the Ten Fidy's, then we were looking at the Founders singles.

Two minutes later he comes out with two KBS, and hands them to us. He claims they were the last two he just found still in the back from their Wednesday shipment. Doesn't matter to me what the real story is, that guy made my day by surprising me with two more KBS.

core42 and Donco like this.
  14. Hard to get here in NJ. Funny thing, though, I'm up in NY visiting family this weekend, walk into their local supermarket to get a kombucha this morning, and boom, there's a four pack sitting right on the shelf. Thank you!

JT99125 likes this.
  15. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

funny as it may be in my area it would take a bigger price tag to sit there for a year. plenty of people willing to gouge and plenty of fresh out of college IT pros with the 30 dollars. Its kinda sad but alas no mishandled bottles of KBS sitting as shelf turds, silver lining?

16. what's the word on NC tomorrow?

17. Turned down a bottle for $14.99. I'd be willing to pay a premium, $7, $8, maybe even up to $10 for the bottle. But $15? That's just gouging.

A2HB likes this.
  18. Fuck that place. Seriously. Where at in NJ? I'll be sure to never go there. I was really upset that one of my local spots near my office in Hillsborough (Petrock's) was charging $9/bottle. Even more unfortunate is that I bought one!

19. Maro Bros in Hainesport

Futurepoop likes this.
  20. krustster

krustster Aficionado (230) Michigan Nov 22, 2013

Large quantities were just discovered (well, by a friend and myself) sitting on the shelf at the local hipster co-op at $4.89 a bottle, and there's still one more place I haven't checked because it's a bit of a drive. I already spent nearly $200 on beer the past week, you bastards!!

21. I was about to give up on the hunt, then I just so happened to score a bottle yesterday at the last place I would ever look in town! Got the last two they had for $7 each

22. Is it in SE michigan andddddd do you think they still have any of it?

23. Sad thing it was alot easier this year than last and it was still too hard to even bother for most. Nearly double the bottles hit the state.

24. I suspect consumer demand increased proportionally...

25. krustster

Sorry I should have specified, it's in the UP. People are very slow to pay more than a few bucks for beer here.

JoeStepOner likes this.
  26. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (675) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Or deodorant...;)

Just kidding, love da UP eh.

27. krustster

I'm not gonna disagree with that. There are a lot of really, really, really gross people up here.

28. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Those of you who had this on draft this year, what did you think about it? Have you had the bottled version as well? Any noticeable difference?

Had this on draft today at a local Founders launch "party". It was chocolatey as heck, smooth, creamy, with subdued coffee. My experience with KBS previously had only been with bottles which showed more coffee and bourbon.

Just curious if the 2014 bottles are drinking like the draft :)

29. Chillwave

Chillwave Zealot (75) Florida Apr 26, 2014

just landed one earlier this week. I asked for another beer which was gone and then a minute late, the brought me their last bottle. Wasn't even looking for it :)

30. will the insanity ever end

marleyr likes this.
  31. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

Was pleased to score a 4-pack this year, as I missed out last year. I've had no problem getting some for the past 5 or 6 years. A bit light in the mouthfeel and thickness this year from what I recall in past years, but the flavor seems true to form.

32. core42

core42 Savant (495) Michigan May 5, 2010

I've had both & I felt the tap was a bit hotter than the bottle but they are very similar