1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Launches KBS Week: March 18-22, 2014 (Grand Rapids), April 1st Release Date Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Once the bottles hit Philly they will also be the inflated price!
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

If you go to the release party you can drink your fill. I showed up around noon or a little later and at first there were maybe 8 people in the lines and then it seemed to have gotten better. Can't say what it's like at night though.
  3. Ckoz

Ckoz Aficionado (220) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

I hope to be there around 3 for my pickup. Would like to have it on tap first to compare. I'm a KBS virgin so im pretty excited.

Though I do have a 2012 in my cellar from a trade. Might pop it open this week
    kylelenk likes this.
  4. Donco

It is great fresh but even better with at least 9 months age IMO
  5. Ckoz

Yeah people seem to be all over the map. Fresh vs. Aged. Maybe i should wait until I have a fresh one in hand to compare. But as sad as it is i dont know that I can wait to crack it open.
  6. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Savant (420) Michigan Oct 13, 2013

7. That sucks -- sorry to hear you got shut out. From the sound of it, between the time that you selected your ticket and hit buy, someone else snatched the same ticket. Therefore, there wasn't a ticket left for you to actually purchase.
  8. that matters 0% since you got a ticket and will be getting pre release pricing, you have no need to pay inflated pricing.
  9. yeah sounds about right, needed to click order in .05sec instead of .06sec
    Donco likes this.
  10. dont mind me, im just bummed i didnt get a ticket, im used to not getting in on cool things like this and i just really thought i had a shot at it. still feel cheated, there were definate flaws in this process, if i was able to select a ticket, it should have saved my spot in line for the next available checkout, like a virtual line for-say. i literally selected a ticket and clicked order in under 2sec of 11am.. there is no possible way that all the tickets were claimed in under 2sec. for that day sorry, no explanation is going to change my mind about that. CONGRATS TO EVERYONE THAT GOT A TICKET, ENJOY. Cheers.
  11. end_27

end_27 Savant (430) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

Was lucky enough to have a friend that had quick fingers to get me a Friday ticket. Now, I have to try and figure out how to boogie out early from work so I can get up there in time to get my beers...#KBSproblems :rolleyes:
  12. Jeff17

Jeff17 Disciple (65) Illinois Mar 4, 2013

So am I correct in understanding that KBS bottles will be available in Grand Rapids liquor stores beginning March 25th? For those in the area, is the volume enough to make the odds high of finding a few four packs by the 29th (would be driving up from Chicago)?
  13. unless you know the owner of the store personaly, there is no way you can count on a 4pk. iv talked to several stores in my area, non will be getting more than 2 cases, and most have a 2btl limit/person. and 4days in that market out there, is probably to long to wait. btw i dont think they are shipping to stores untill the week of april 1st.
  14. sweet, so he somehow got a ticket for you and himself..o_O while most Locals got no tickets.. youre correct sir, #KBSproblems. :mad:
  15. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

Man, people hating hard core over beer? I'd hate to see how they react when people do better than them in life with stuff that really matters. It is just beer!
  16. BEERschlitz

He's wrong about April 1st. Just trolling you so he gets more KBS for himself. Plus stores hate helping out annoying entitled people...
    Lol @ "most locals got no tickets"

Besides you gave Bell's Cherry Stout a 5/5. So really KBS can't hold a candle to that anyway. Just go get a case and be in Cherry heaven instead.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. Donco

That's assuming I'm only looking to purchase 8 bottles (NOT)..;)
  18. Donco

DOUBLE Like!
    MWilt likes this.
  19. Lkoro

Lkoro Aficionado (200) Illinois Aug 29, 2009

Sounds more like Michigan internet speed problems. You get a whole week of KBS on tap. As a local, it sounds pretty good. But people are gonna complain anyway.

How bout this. Show up at our bottle share on Friday and have some good beers and I'll give you one of my 8.
  20. Ckoz

As much as it pains me to say he isn't entirely wrong about the release date. Any place out on the eastside doesn't get it for 2-3 days after the release. There was a rumor last year that stores had received it already before the release date and we're told to hang on to it but this simply isn't true. Maybe places out in GR area sure. But elsewhere it will take a few days just like with any other release. All 3 stores directly by me got it 2 days after.
  21. Thank you very much for the offer! if youre serious about that, msg me the details and i may make the trip out there. as far as kbs on tap all week.. yeah thats awesome for the people in the grand rapids area, but im not quite a "local" i live 2 1/2 hrs from there, i cant just scoot down the street and get a glass. iv never even tasted kbs before. but i may book a room around there if your serious about that invite for the bottle share. Cheers!
  22. end_27

end_27 Savant (430) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

The bottle is open to all who are willing to come, shake hands, have good conversation, be happy and drink some tasty brews with some good people who enjoy craft beer all night long. This is our "2nd Annual KBS Bottle Share." Last year was a hit, talk to anyone who came. I submitted a link earlier in on page.2 but here it is again for rules of attending our fabulous event:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...-bottle-share-at-springhill-suites-mi.154018/

Me, @Lkoro , @TastyDelicousness and a few other friends who host this shindig look forward to seeing you there, Stern.

Cheers!
  23. @Lkoro and @end_27 are serious about the bottle share. I will personally be bringing a 4 pack of 2013 KBS. You come, shake my hand, and say thanks, one of those 4 bottles are all yours to take home and drink. If you decide to hand around the following day, I' sure we can supply a bottle of 2014 much as @Lkoro has extended to you. KBS or any beer release to me(IMHO) has more to do with the people you meet, rather than the beer you drink. I can tell you that we made some great friends last year at the "1st annual KBS Bottle Share". Some of which we now see on a regular basis. You should come, hang out, meet some great folks and enjoy a great night. Cheers!
    Blutz and end_27 like this.
  24. @TastyDelicousness @Lkoro @end_27 thanks i didn't know this was open like this, thought it was invite only thing. if i can make it I'll def let y'all know and update the beer sheet!
  25. Consider yourself, INVITED! ;)
    sternamagrapha7x likes this.
  26. Lkoro

Lkoro Aficionado (200) Illinois Aug 29, 2009

Wasn't kidding around. We're both around 2.5 hours away so it is worth the drive. Hopefully you can make it. Check out the link for the details. Hope to see you there

Cheers
    sternamagrapha7x likes this.
  27. Fitze

Fitze Savant (405) South Carolina May 22, 2013

Savannah, GA market has already begun the KBS wait list. I'm #2 position on two separate lists. Depending on quantity delivered it could guarantee me one bottle or a four pack(unlikely).
  28. In the Grand Rapids area this is what I experienced last year while looking for KBS. One store said that he couldn't sell me KBS because I wasn't a regular customer even though I bought beer from this place for over 15 years. No big deal as he had a one bottle limit anyways. I stopped shopping there after this. Several stores never let KBS hit the shelves as they kept it for themselves. Again, I stopped shopping at theses stores too as I thought this was shady. Multiple other stores were charging $30 for a 4 pack while some stores wanted $10 dollars a bottle. Point of my post is KBS brings out the worst in some people and stores. Thank goodness I got a ticket because last year shopping for KBS was not fun. Good luck to those who will soon be on the chase!
  29. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

KBS is always a shit show.

I'm lucky to get 2-3 bottles a year, and at different spots and begging for them to hold me one or help me out.

It's the price you pay, luckily, once you have a bottle, you find that it is indeed a fantastic beer, but it doesn't make the world go 'round. It's a beer that elevates a good day with friends to share, a beer to highlight a great dinner with your family, or the icing on the day of sitting in a hammock at the break of spring while your kids run in the yard and enjoy the evening.

Don't stress out about it- it's not the end of the world, but just a perk.
  30. Crymopipe494

Crymopipe494 Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 12, 2012

Bummer...my bachelor party is on the 29th....
  31. Unsung

Unsung Aficionado (130) Illinois Mar 6, 2011

Has anyone gone in the past on the Sunday after the party know if KBS will be available on the 23rd?

That is my only day off, just wondering the odds to see if a 4 hour drive is worth the chance.
  32. thanks for the reality check, very well said. instantly not mad about not getting a ticket now. :) ill take what i can get and enjoy it. Cheers
    TonyJ815 and Fargrow like this.
  33. BEERschlitz

KBS does too make the 'world go round'... when I drink my first 4 pk in one sitting. :D
    needMIbeerinMD likes this.
  34. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Savant (460) Illinois Apr 27, 2013

will the taproom be open to anyone on the 18-21?
  35. I do believe they will be open. You'd have to check the site for hours. I think the bottle pickup prob won't be located real close to the pub sitting area. That's just logical thinking though.
  36. Last year it was at the north entrance completely separate and apart from the entrance to the brew pub.
  37. An owner of a bodega by me had a bottle of KBS from, I presume, last year, that he was selling for $29.99. Made me laugh, that's 4x the price of what I paid for it earlier int he year. Also had BCBCS for something like $14.99 for a 12oz bottle, also laughable.
  38. Donco

Yes...should be open. They did the Sweet Repute release in the store, adjacent to the pub.
  39. F that guy. Probably had it sitting out on a shelf in direct sunlight as well.
  40. Ha! Not quite direct sunlight, but the bottle was sticky and dusty, so not appealing to the kinetic aspect. Probably doesn't matter, since the new release will be out in a couple of weeks.