1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Launches KBS Week: March 18-22, 2014 (Grand Rapids), April 1st Release Date Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Sounds like bcbs around my area
  2. laglocal

laglocal Savant (250) California Oct 21, 2013

ISO - KBS FT - Anything
    mrchrisray likes this.
  3. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I am just about at the tipping point with these limited releases. The demand is far exceeding the output at this point, and the hunt just isn't worth it. It's like a sickness because I feel like I need the beer even though there are so many beers right now on the shelves that I would enjoy just as much. I might need an intervention.
    DrZeus10, lic217, DemoniChris and 2 others like this.
  4. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Savant (295) Kentucky Nov 11, 2013

Guhh...drool
  5. That barrel aged Red's Rye is fantastic. Did me in on my birthday!!!!
    A2HB likes this.
  6. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Savant (295) Kentucky Nov 11, 2013

It is the most dangerous game. People enjoy the thrill of the hunt almost as much as the spoils themselves.
    RobDB likes this.
  7. Donco

Donco Savant (375) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

8. I don't know the stats and exactly how they work with our state's legislature but I thought Founders already produces over 100,000 barrels a of beer annually. Wiki lists their production capacity at 340,000 barrels a year but I believe that number is even higher or so I was told on a tour in mid February.
    In any case I doubt that the state's increase will in turn lead to an increase in production of KBS. Ya gotta remember that this beer is brewed then aged in barrels in caves underground so next years batch has most likely already been put away for aging. It's also pricey one for them to brew and with any business the demand may be there but if the profit margin is greater for producing say something like Centennial IPA in cans then they may use their ability to increase output for something like like.
  9. Donco

I think I agree. Also, beers like KBS lose some of their "cache" if they're too available. It's part of the mystique...although IMO: it's well deserved. Great beer!;)
    Chris_H_2 and EricTKole like this.
  10. Jwhere

Jwhere Aficionado (165) Indiana Feb 25, 2014

Anyone know how much the KBS glassware costs? Hope to pick up a glass too at the event
  11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

$6-$10
    Jwhere likes this.
  12. Donco

Great idea! I'll be there Thursday picking up my 8.
  13. Jwhere

Jwhere Aficionado (165) Indiana Feb 25, 2014

Save one for me ;)

Edit: thought you meant you were getting 8 glasses! I'll be there Saturday to get my bottles. Enjoy!
    Donco and GeorgiaBeerGuy like this.
  14. Donco

;)

Edit: thought you meant you were getting 8 glasses! I'll be there Saturday to get my bottles. Enjoy![/QUOTE]
    No...one glass. Eight bottles.:p
    shadowofthereaper_666 likes this.
  15. aucanuck

aucanuck Aficionado (105) Georgia Dec 18, 2010

Maybe i missed it but was there something official about glassware? I think last year they talked abut having glassware well in advance of KBS week but i haven't heard anything about it this year. Got a glass from last year and would love to get one this year too.
  16. mtskier

mtskier Aficionado (230) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Twitter said they would have glassware available the whole release week this year.
    aucanuck likes this.
  17. aucanuck

aucanuck Aficionado (105) Georgia Dec 18, 2010

Nice! Will have to pick one up when I am up there. Thanks for the reply!
    jroberts8811 likes this.
  18. can someone confirm if this year's label will have the words "flavored stout" on it? I found some images with those words, but don't trust them.

cheers
  19. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Yep, same as last year. No big deal as nothing has changed in the recipe since 2009.
  20. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

Yea right! It'll take maybe one day before people declare this years worse than last...
    waston likes this.
  21. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Savant (365) Michigan Oct 13, 2013

Anyone at monellis? How crazy is it there?
  22. TimfromGR

TimfromGR Aficionado (140) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

Black Friday crazy. But we got our KBS. :D
    BEERschlitz likes this.
  23. Donco

And I'll be happy to collect all of their KBS that they don't like;)
    shadowofthereaper_666 likes this.
  24. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Glasses are $10....oh and Panther cub tapped again today.
    UcDru, ERRL710 and waston like this.
  25. Is bcbs hard to get? I just saw it in two stores near me. I almost picked it up to trade but then I figured it must be around everywhere
  26. layinbrix

layinbrix Savant (265) Colorado Jul 29, 2011

My buddy and I are probably going to take April 1st off and drive to the KBS release in Kansas City. It's only 4 hours round trip for a beer I've wanted to try for some time, then I can take some with me to Denver a week later. Plus, it's like a small vacation in itself, I love an excuse to hang out in KC. My favorite place to hang out is BierStation; the staff is really friendly and they rotate their taps frequently. Another nice thing the owner does is for limited releases, like Hopslam, they set some aside until after 5pm so people stuck at work have an equal opportunity to buy.
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  27. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

sounds like a great place don't know of any places doing that
  28. KCBeerNerd

KCBeerNerd Savant (335) Missouri Dec 20, 2013

This is not correct. Bier Station holds its limited releases for a rare beer raffle which they do every few months (Minus Hopslam cause you can't hold onto hopslam as its best served fresh). As for most of the other bottleshops they work off of lists or give priority to regulars, pm for some ideas on places that do free for alls.
  29. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

So when should we peons start looking for this in stores?

30. unless you live in GR(march 25th release), the title of this thread answers your question(april 1st, hint hint).
  31. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

Heh yeah I noticed that right after I posted. Was too lazy to come edit it, but thanks for the info anyway
  32. Hopefully some of it makes it's way to the Milwaukee area. I'd love to try it.
  33. Donco

To paraphrase Sidra (Seinfeld reference): "It's real...and it's spectacular"!;)
    tomlinh likes this.
  34. I'm going to go on a rant, so here's fair warning:

As a beer retailer, KBS is by far the WORST time of year to work at a beer shop. Every asshole comes out of the woodwork. Delivery truck chasers, people who will show up 2 hours before your store opens, only to wait 4 more hours in the store for the truck to get there, getting in the way of your every day shoppers, entitled people who demand to have a case, then on top of that demand a case discount(yeah this actually happened last year. Argued with us for almost an hour about how our two bottle limit was unfair), people who have already gotten their two bottles, then wait by our cash register and offer to sell their bottles, or to buy them from the people who just bought theirs, then go home and rate us bad on websites like BA and google, yelp, etc etc, because we had a bottle limit and they couldn't get a case. People who come in with their whole family just to skirt the two bottle limit. We know what you're doing, and we'll probably say no. Then, for two weeks before and three months after, 50% of our calls are asking to be put on a waiting list for it, or to reserve it, and once it's gone "why is it gone? How long did it take to sell out? are you getting more? Can I be put on a waiting list for next year? How much did you get?" (Life Hack: don't call your local beer store and ask, go in regularly and actually strike up a conversation with the clerks, it's a surefire way to get hooked up with limited releases.) Then you have the trickle effect "Do you have KBL, KNS, KBT" people who only know about it through hype and have no idea what the beer even is.

If you are making a trip to Grand Rapids to buy KBS, when you go in the store, BUY SOMETHING ELSE. If you walk in and just ask for KBS and we've never seen you before, chances are we're not going to sell it to you because we have hundreds of other customers we see on a daily/weekly/monthly basis that support our business and we are going to sell it to them before you. Now if you walk in and buy a couple six packs of Founders, say you're from out of state, and ask politely if we have any KBS, chances are 100% better that you are going to get some. Bad customers make us angry, even if we are nice to your face. Be nice, be patient and stop thinking you are entitled to this beer because you made a long trip, etc.

I hate this week at work because the minority of bad customers are 200% more assholish than normal, and it ruins it for the nice customers.

TLDR: Don't be an asshole and you'll get KBS. Stop thinking you're entitled to KBS and you'll get KBS. Be a regular customer, talk with your local shops and you'll get KBS. Don't expect to get a case of it anywhere, we have a lot more customers to get it to than just you; see "Stop thinking you're entitled to KBS".

This has been brought to you by a retailer that is sick of hearing about KBS. (Having said that, I am looking forward to bringing some home Tuesday night and enjoying a fresh one and putting the other in my cellar for next year. This beer is eons better with age.)
  35. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aficionado (195) Virginia Sep 26, 2010

You work at a store, your job is to serve us, the customer. I think you need to reign yourself in, buddy.

So are you saying there is a two bottle limit per family, or per customer? Seems like if it was the latter, you'd have to sell it to both husband, wife, and whatever other 21+ family member came in if you were adhering to your own rules.

First come, first served, imo. Fuk this "regular customer" BS. Most places have many more "regular customers" than they have KBS. One of my local stores in having a lottery to see who gets to buy it. That seems pretty fair to me if you're not doing it first come first served.
    EricTKole and Storm21 like this.
  36. Wow, you really don't think regular customers deserve special treatment? If you were running a business you wouldn't hold a product for the folks that pay you bills? That seems very short sighted and frankly very rude to the folks that spend money every week in your store. Clearly the rant you responded to was a little extreme, but given your response, I think it might be directed at you.
    afterexile likes this.
  37. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

I love this beer, and I mean I looooove this beer. Anymore though, its just not worth the blood bath. With the advance in craft beer, there are so many great beers to try. If I am in a shop and am able to snag a bottle or two, great, if not I will go home and pop open a stone RIS and sit back and enjoy it.
  38. I read you "rant" and for the most part, I was saying right on. The one thing I would suggest to you, is that if some tourist (maybe me someday) comes in asking for KBS, he might be planning on buying stuff regardless of the answer, but just asking first so he knows how much other stuff to grab. Granted I understand that some random tourist has little right to ask for something that you don't have enough of to serve your regulars, but the tourist probably has no idea what your supply is and doesn't intend to be rude. I grew up in a tourist area and I learned that tourists are often unintentionally rude, but only because they don't understand a hard to understand nuance of local culture. Give the tourist a break and let them know you only get enough for your regulars but you do have x,y and z local things that they might have never tried.
  39. Is bcbs really hard to get in oregon? It's still on the shelves in a few places around here. All I hear about is oregon beer being the best. We should work a trade if you like that stuff.
  40. Actually, in VA I know for sure a server/cashier/bartender can tell you to piss up a rope if they don't like your attitude, and if you complain they can just say "I thought he was intoxicated and I don't want to break the law by selling to him."

The lottery is good system I guess, if you have a shit ton of time on your hands as a retailer to orchestrate it. In the end you're still selling the same amount of beer as you would have. Most would term that a waste of time. And you'll still get the phone calls from non-regulars who didn't know about the lottery, "it was rigged", "the employee shouldn't be allowed to buy any" etc

The true answer is to keep raising the price until it sells, but a case sells in say, a week. That's why no one chases wine trucks. It's priced wrong if people go this psycho.The marketplace can fix this for us. Everyone will just get mad and then decide it's worth it, or move on to different products.
    DavidHume and surfcaster like this.