1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Launches KBS Week: March 18-22, 2014 (Grand Rapids), April 1st Release Date Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jnashed

Jnashed Aficionado (125) Virginia Feb 14, 2014

fishing is pretty good!
  2. RobDB

RobDB Advocate (570) New Jersey Aug 31, 2009

It is a beautiful new store to boot with great deals all the time. Good plan for both regulars and potential customers to get a chance at picking up this ridiculously limited beer, at least for NJ, and to showcase your new digs.
    CassinoNorth likes this.
  3. Cory-WC

Cory-WC Aficionado (210) Florida May 31, 2013

I'm down in the Ft Lauderdale area. That would have been a fun event to go to. Hopefully I'll find something like that here! Thanks for the info
  4. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Savant (400) Michigan Oct 13, 2013

That and a way better basketball team... MSU is gonna kick Virginia's ass tonight!!! ;)
  5. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

We have wonderful smog.
    EricTKole and Fargrow like this.
  6. themind

Are you kidding???? our traffic jams kick your a$$!
    PA-Michigander and EricTKole like this.
  7. themind

Jersey has so many more restrictive laws that hamper our freedom and liberties, how can you say Michigan is better!
  8. Monstro

Monstro Savant (305) New Jersey Dec 5, 2009

No problem. I'd keep an eye out for Lazer Wolf tapping it, I'm confident they'll be getting a keg. Cheers!
  9. Jnashed

Jnashed Aficionado (125) Virginia Feb 14, 2014

Quite possibly. But I'm a Gator fan;). Should be a good game.
    ufmj likes this.
  10. themind

North West Jersey, so you know how good our smog is.
  11. coldy

coldy Aficionado (210) Pennsylvania Sep 16, 2010

Question....if it is released everywhere else on April 1, does that mean itis hsipping April 1,or everyone will actually have it prior, so that they can sell it April 1?
  12. Ckoz

Ckoz Aficionado (220) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

They should have it on shelves that day. Correct me if im wrong but the distributors have it already and I'd bet most stores have it kept in the back already waiting for Tuesday
  13. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aficionado (195) Virginia Sep 26, 2010

I was told by my local store that the distributor has it, but that particular distributor makes their normal deliveries on Wed, so to expect it on Wed. I hope that if I believe that, I don't end up being an April Fool.
  14. core42

core42 Savant (470) Michigan May 5, 2010

A local store in Kalamazoo won't have it for sale until April 6th although I have seen several Texans in the Post your Haul thread w/multiple 4 pks already.
  15. SpiersBrewingCo

SpiersBrewingCo Zealot (85) Texas Feb 25, 2014

Picked up a couple singles early on from the early birds then was able to buy 4-packs at the bigger locations but first come first serve. Had to be there when they released and ask. All in all I relish this beer as much as the Praire Bomb so glad to score a couple 4-packs. It will be released on Draft this coming Friday so will definitely be trying that as well to compare although I imagine the bottles are somewhat better.
  16. layinbrix

layinbrix Savant (265) Colorado Jul 29, 2011

Their distributor in Kansas City is playing by the rules, KBS will be released on Tuesday the 1st.
  17. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

My "sources" here in Philly tell me if it makes it onto shelves it will be April 3.
  18. Donco

This is most likely correct. Distributors have it but won't deliver it to stores until at least 4/2
  19. BEERschlitz

Says the guy who'll be there buying it all up on April 1st ;)
    2Xmd likes this.
  20. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aficionado (195) Virginia Sep 26, 2010

Guess I'll have to take BOTH Tues and Wed off from work, just to be safe. Already have a "doctors" appointment scheduled for Thurs morning, near my bottle shop.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  21. If anyone is anywhere near south Jersey, there's a tapping of it Friday night at the Toga Bar at Caesars...I don't post often, but I'm not missing that for the world.
    ufmj likes this.
  22. Donco

Nah...but good luck if you want to drive around on April 1.
  23. BEERschlitz

Probably not, I'll be at home drinking one of my 28 bottles
  24. All my LBS have the same story; timing of shipments from Founders means our local distributor won't have it until APR 6th so probably won't be released here until APR 7.
  25. Jshari223

Jshari223 Aficionado (200) Georgia Nov 13, 2013

Are you rural NC? If not, I wouldn't bet on that. We've had it at our distributor in Atlanta for over a week now. I just don't see it hitting us & not NC. I would look around for midnight tapping's tonight, and see if anyone has a keg. If there is a keg, there should be bottles.
  26. I'm in the Triad. Tryon is the distributor and that's the same story he's told all our shops; Bestway, Stella, City Bev, Total Wine and Whole Foods.
  27. Trautwein09

Trautwein09 Aficionado (130) Ohio Mar 25, 2013

Traveling to the Livonia, Michigan area for work on Thursday or Friday this week. Anyone know when KBS is expected to be on the shelves at the local bottle shops of this particular area? If I can score one or two bottles I will be a happy guy. Appreciate any good feedback.
    Cheers!
  28. Fitze

Fitze Savant (360) South Carolina May 22, 2013

Was just told 291 cases for GA from a beverage warehouse manager in Savannah. It has been "held" in Atlanta for a bit and is on trucks for delivery today and sale tomorrow.
    bmoosey likes this.
  29. MPPHISH

MPPHISH Aficionado (205) New York Apr 16, 2013

Starting to see bottle releases being announced in NY for 4/1. Hope this means NY was distributed to already, if I get the call my 4 pack is in tomorrow it will certainly be the highlight of my day.
  30. I scooped a bottle at Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint on Saturday. They said they had just gotten it in earlier that day. 1 per customer @ $8 a pop. You're welcome ;)
  31. Agreed about Bier Station--their staff is awesome. I'm there all the time (probably more than I should be).

But you are both correct, sort of. Depending on how much they get of something, they'll put some out when they first get it, then re-stock that smaller cooler they have near the bar as it gets purchased. I know they held some of their Hopslam back for people who work to buy it after 5pm.

And they also hold bottles back for the rare bottle raffle they do periodically, but I know for a fact they don't hold everything back. For example: I walked in there a couple weeks ago the day after they got their Shelton Bros. truck and the single Prairie Bomb! they had received was sitting there in the small cooler for the taking. I was stunned (and obviously elated). A bunch of other stuff--Crooked Stave, Fantome, Mikkeller, etc--was out on the shelves, but I think they held back their Cantillon for the next raffle.

I think John takes the approach of trying to vary it as much as possible, because by doing that, they ensure that all types of people/customers get the chance to access high-demand beers. It's not just limited to those who can get in there at 11am when they open. Plus, it's pretty smart--by changing up how you put out your limited release beers, you increase the odds that the beer will get in the hands of your regulars. If there isn't a set-in-stone schedule each time, it's more likely to benefit the people who are in there with the most regularity.

As far as I'm concerned, Bier Station is one of the better things to happen to KC beer culture in recent years.

EDIT: do either of you know for sure--will KBS see stores tomorrow? I know releases can occasionally take extra time to get to KC, but not always...
  32. I know of 2 stores in CT that released theirs today so it's here....and most likely already gone. There's gotta be others who're already selling theirs too. And in the "some teen aged clerk is gonna get their ass chewed out when the beer manager finds out" dept....I have a friend in the Western Finger Lakes of NY who bought a case today at a grocery store......AND got a 20% case discount. He said it was $106 out the door
    BEERschlitz likes this.
  33. Which grocery store?
  34. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

If anyone knows any stores north of Atlanta (Kennesaw, Acworth, Woodstock, Marietta) getting it, PM me.
  35. he said it was a Wegmans. Not really sure what town. They got a single case. He bought it.
  36. Wow I'm surprised they got it. Thanks for getting back to me.
  37. jaltland

jaltland Savant (415) Pennsylvania Aug 13, 2009

Pennsylvania will be seeing it tomorrow for stores that get their deliveries tomorrow. April Fools better not be fooling with me or I'll break some hips.
  38. Triad here, heard April 8th from my guy at Total Wine today. Don't think Tryon delivers on Mondays
  39. Donco

Don't think so. Stores in Philly that I've spoken to say they get their shipment on Wednesday.
  40. Tazman89

Tazman89 Initiate (15) Illinois Feb 20, 2014

south side of Chicago I got mine today.