1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founder's Nemesis 2009

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mdfb79, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

Anyone open a bottle of this lately? I saw a few reviews from the last few months that seem to be favorable. Was considering opening my last bottle in the next few weeks.
  2. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

I had one not too long ago and it was enjoyable. The bourbon is very subdued at this point but it was good flavor wise.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Not recently, but had one about six months ago. Not good at all & I loved, loved, loved this beer fresh. Hoping it was just an awkward phase, I still have two bottles (or something) downstairs.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I had it about 5 months ago and thought it was a solid brew, albeit a shell of its former self. Bourbon has faded but still has a unique and incredible flavor.
  5. Drank mine three nights ago. But I never had it fresh so I don't really know what it tasted like then. The maple sweetness that remained was very nice and surprising for the body of the beer. Bourbon was milder than I expected it to be.
  6. beerhan

beerhan Savant (390) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

This thread has inspired me to drink one tonight. There is still a decent amount of bourbon and maple left in this beer although it does vary by bottle. It is simply sublime when the bottle has been stored well however there are some more pronounced tropical fruit notes now than there were before, perhaps due to the bourbon fading a bit over time and showing more of the base beer. I would open this soon, not to say it is getting worse or anything but I don't really see aging helping it.
  7. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

I also ended up opening my last bottle late last week. While I still liked it, I think it has faded a bit. I agree with the tropical notes and that there is still a decent amount of bourbon, and would also suggest people drinking it sooner than later.
  8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Had the '09 and '10 a month ago. It was basically as beerhan said: the '09 was quite nice (I never had it fresh). The '10 on the other hand... was unpleasant soy sauce
  9. Bummer. I'm sitting on a single '10, missed the '09. Any chance it improves with age? Wishful thinking, right...
  10. accordselux

accordselux Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

Enjoyed one 2 days ago, didn't hurt me none.

I agree, fresh was good. A year or so was good. It's starting to fall off now.