1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Next Backstage Release in April

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by imfrommichigan, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still blacked out on the website . . . any one got word yet what this will be?

2. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Double barrel aged CBS. Aging in caves 9,000 feet underground.

3. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Did they have to buy a new cave for that?

4. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Good word supposedly is hamd of doom. Which makes sense... ipa in spring

5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

All Day IPA, Dry-Hopped Pale Ale, Centennial IPA, Devil Dancer...I enjoy them all, but I'd rather see something less explored come from Founder's in their "limited run" Backstage series.

Wolfpack2005, JohnB87 and founder26 like this.
  6. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Like a barrel-aged Barleywine?

7. MarcatGSB

NO JOHN! More creative! Maybe a 1/3 bourbon barrel aged, 1/3 maple bourbon barrel aged and 1/3 fresh! Mind...blown, I gaurentee that beer won't sit on the shelves thru out Michigan 4 months past it's release, NO...frickin...WAY!

gustogasmic, awinter20 and stayclean like this.
  8. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

9. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Call me crazy but that's me think it's not hand of doom. I'm going out on a limb and saying black biscuit.

JohnB87 likes this.
  10. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Sounds like they'll bottle it when it's ready, deadline be damned. Also indirectly confirming that it's barrel-aged. Maybe they rushed Bolt Cutter to meet the deadline of the 15th anniversary and they want to hit the home run this time.

11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

12. Just scrolled through my Facebook in search of beer news and saw this! You beat me to it! I bet it will taste more like a hopped up, lighter bodied barleywine. One of our local brewpubs recently released a Woodfors Reserved BA IPA and I describe it as a "baby barleywine" - absolutely interesting yet delicious. I'm sure this won't disappoint. ISO

13. MarcatGSB

14. Kind of glad this Backstage is what it is. Don't have to worry about dropping $20+ now on it.

ICCULIS likes this.
  15. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

How will these age if say, you wanted to sit one down for 6 months to a year? Is it going to turn into a barleywine basically?

16. mjshearer1

Released through a ticketing system again the week of April 14th, but no word on when the tickets will go on sale yet, unless I missed that part in the post.

17. I'm not hunting this one down. I've written off the BA DIPA style.

18. mjshearer1

For what it's worth, Founders commented on their Facebook post that they recommend drinking this as fresh as you can get it. I'm sure it'd be an interesting experiment to see how it ages.

19. This sounds gross.

20. After it's been aged for four months? I'm really curious about it, but I def don't plan on spending alot of money on it (which likely means I won't be getting any).

21. mjshearer1

I'm pretty sure (on one of the ten different threads on this) it was mentioned that they dry hopped it after the barrel aging so that it doesn't lose any of the hop profile.

22. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

I'm very excited for this beer. Not only does it sound good, but there is no excuse for it to land in my cellar and take up more space!

23. /slap ... Make it easy on everyone!

We plan to introduce Doom, a bourbon-barrel-aged Imperial IPA, this April to mark the sixth installment in our Backstage Series. Like all Backstage Series beers, Doom will be sold in 750mL bottles. It has a suggested retail price of $12.99 per bottle.
    [​IMG]
    Doom is unleashed when our award-winning specialty Imperial IPA, Double Trouble, is aged in bourbon barrels for four months to create a distinct flavor experience. So, while Double Trouble is brewed to turn your world upside down, Doom is brewed to tear it apart: pungent hops conspire with boozy bourbon notes to send your senses spinning.
    Known as “Hand of Doom” when originally brewed for our taproom, this 10% ABV beer is a unique addition to our barrel-aged repertoire, which has mostly consisted of malt-forward beers such as Backwoods Bastard and Kentucky Breakfast Stout.
    “Doom is one of those beers that we’ve talked about releasing ever since we started the Backstage Series,” says Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “It’s hop heavy. It’s barrel-aged. It’s unapologetic. It’s the definition of a Founders beer.”
    Doom will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, April 22. On-site, Doom will be a pre-ticketed, six-day release, running from Sunday, April 14 (DAY #1), through Friday, April 19 (DAY #6). Tickets will go on-sale via brownpapertickets.com on Saturday, March 9, at 11:00AM. There will be a limit of one ticket per person, with each ticket valid for the purchase of TWO bottles of Doom (at $13 each), only on the specific release date listed on the ticket.
    We expect to release two more Backstage Series beers in 2013.
    Also, here is our updated availability calendar, with Doom plugged into its April release window:
    [​IMG]

Craigory likes this.
  24. Sorry. I will not pay $20 for a IPA. I think this is a filler beer just to buy time on some more good beers that are not ready to be released.

25. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

What IPA is $20?

26. It has a suggested retail price of $12.99 per bottle.

27. So the BC isn't worth holding on to?

Somehow I doubt I'll see Doom as I always miss out on the Founder's limited release stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.