1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Jan 18, 2013.

1. This winter, I found I prefered FBS in a bottle over the porter bottled, but on draft, the porter seemed more to my enjoyment!

2. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

All porters are basically stouts.

3. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

That's what I don't get... I have tried comparing them twice and Founders rules over EF. I guess if you don't like the flavor of stouts and Porters in the first place, the watered down EF fits the bill nicely. Drink on!

4. Love 'em both. I also think Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper is very underrated in the porter category.

5. Love this beer. Had it on draft a few weeks ago for the first time, probably the best porter I've had on draft.

6. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Except I felt like, if anything, Founders Porter was more watered down and lacking in flavor... then again I had Edmund on-tap and the Founders in bottles. It had way more flavor profile.

Plus EF has a 96 on this site and FP has a 95, so Edmund Fitzgerald iz teh winnarz!

7. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

As a big Eddy Fitz fan for a few years now, I must say, after drinking my first Founder's Porter that the Founder's wins. Everything from the color of the head to the aroma, the mouthfeel and the taste goes to Founders.

MichPaul likes this.
  8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Definitely my favorite standard Porter. Very rich and smooth.

MichPaul likes this.
  9. jaywz

jaywz Aficionado (215) Ohio Jan 6, 2013

Love the Founder's porter. It's always goes back and forth with me between that and the Ed Fitz. Both extremely well made beers at a good price and always around.

GR_Rick likes this.