1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Rye - tasting help

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LeRose, Jan 9, 2013.

1. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I am starting to fall in love with Founders...Backwoods Bastard was awesome and Curmudgeon is growing on me like a rash! Just finished the only bottle I have and I want another one NOW :-((

Picked up a bottle of red rye tonight on the way home, but realized this is a new style for me and I have no idea what rye tastes like. What are things to look for? Understand it is similar to wheat beers - is that true? So maybe some spice notes on the finish?

Seeking a little guidance, oh wise ones!

2. Tastes like delicious. Bitter but amazingly balanced. If you do not like IPAs you may not like it. However, it could be a gateway to them.

3. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

I wouldn't say it is similar to wheat beers. You have never had rye bread? Because all rye beers taste like that. It is a bit bitter almost sour tasting. I tend to shy away from rye beers, because I hate rye bread and really I hate the grain as a whole. However I know tons of people who love founders Red Rye.

4. LeRose

Ok...Gives me a start. Don't mind rye bread, and Ruination was an OMG beer and moment, so I am OK with IPA. The wheat beer comment I found on the Internet, right next to the French model...figured it might not be totally accurate.

5. A bottle opener.
    Drink that sombitch!

frankthetank86 and jhartley like this.
  6. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I had Reds Rye and liked it. Can I expect to enjoy Ruthless Rye? Sorry to thread jack.

7. LeRose

Got that part down, bro! Official antique bottle opener found while rebuilding my kitchen, and official WalMart oversized stemless white wine glasses...damned l'il woman used all the good Mason jars for jalapeño jelly....just joking, mostly...but I liked those Mason jars...

I don't like knowing too much about what to expect, but on a new style I like at least a vague notion of what I am in for. I wouldn't want to "judge" it poorly because I don't understand the basic idea, yeah? It's all good...it will be in my belly tomorrow night. If I can wait that long... Like the coin in Pirates of the Caribbean...the beer...it calls to me...

8. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

If you like IPAs, you'll love Red's Rye P.A.

The Rye simply adds a complementary spiciness to the hops.

Just enjoy. This beer is the stuff.

9. It's just a great IPA with rye, not too bitter, actually I found it a bit "sweet" as far as IPAs go. It sucks that this won't be bottled any more.
    Why wait until tomorrow? No need to procrastinate. ;)

10. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Drink the godforsaken beer. Don't ask others what you can expect. Drink it and form your own opinion.

If you really must know what others think of it, there are 209 reviews here:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/?view=beerfly

11. LeRose

Yep. Will form my own opinion no matter what. I just saw comments about rye taste. If it is a rye bread type taste I get that. Never worked with the grain itself before, just was wondering. Like I know what crystal malt tastes like since I have used it before. As long as it don't taste like pastrami too, should be cool.

12. BeerNDoggerel

Excuse me?

13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Overthinking this bud. Won't know what it tastes like until you taste it. Why let us influence your perception?

LeRose likes this.
  14. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

15. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

it will still be bottled...just going to seasonal 4 packs.

16. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

And a doughy, biscuit, bready character. Though many examples are so hopped up you can't really get that part.

17. LeRose

You are right... And I guess it was silly to ask, thinking about it.

But hey - it looks like I should go buy the rest of it, too! If I don't like it (which I highly doubt) I can always hold it hostage!

18. BeerNDoggerel

19. BruChef

BruChef Savant (285) New York Nov 8, 2009

I would describe it as somewhat fruity and bitter in the way the pith from a lemon would be. Spicy, but not in terms of heat from capsacin, more like earthy spicy similar to black pepper and celery seed. And since rye is sometimes used in conjunction with caraway rye, it can taste slightly almost licorice like as in fennel seed.

20. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Same here. Bad news, but having just experienced some "out-of-code" RRPA I can understand the move - did not have the same taste at all. Stinks that the price isn't going to decrease with the bottle count.

21. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

As Billy Madison would say..."JUST DO IT!!!!"