1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Specialty Releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MLeicht, Dec 7, 2012.

1. So i just checked a local distributor list for releases next week and they are releasing Founders Imperial Stout which i found to be odd seeing how all special release from Founders this year were over. After checking Founders website and when their beers are to be released i saw that bunch of specialty beers are going to be released at different times. The biggest shock was KBS is going to be released in April. And Double Trouble is going to be released in May-June. Plus their season releases are All day IPA and Breakfast. Has anyone else heard about the change?

2. Well, if they are still only going to ship like 4 cases per state, I don't see how changing when it happens will make a whole lot of difference.

3. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Hadn't heard of the change. KBS in April is odd. Bigger release this time around?

As for 4 cases per state outside MI... sounds like too many. :p
    Just like Chi should get ALL the Bourbon County stuff. ;) ;) ;)

bozodogbreath likes this.
  4. I love directly across the street from the brewery so I'm able to get unlimited cases ;)

JayCin and MrHolland10 like this.
  5. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (450) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Their IS is not a "special release", it's a seasonal (as are Double Trouble and Breakfast). Much, much more available than any of the special releases (such as KBS).

6. One of the best Imp Stouts available IMO. If you find some, buy it

7. Perhaps the KBS April thing is distribution, and not the release. Founders Black Party is typically in April, and I imagine they would want to space the KBS and Black parties (as they have before).

8. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Pretty sure it was like this last year as well. And yeah FIS is amazing definitely grab some if you see it.

ASUBeer likes this.
  9. RPS

RPS Aficionado (100) Iowa Jun 7, 2012

According to their website they've changed the release schedule and designations. From what I can tell they will still maintain the 5 year round beers (Porter, DB, Red Rye, Dry Hopped Pale, and Centennial) and now have only two seasonal releases--- All Day IPA from March to September and Breakfast Stout from October to February. The rest of their offerings will be "speciality" being available for a month or two during the year--(IS, Curmudgeon, KBS, Double Trouble, Devil Dancer, Cerise, Harvest, and Backwoods).

10. KBS distribution in April would even be weird. If KBS Day and the release of it is not in March, that makes me sad....

11. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I heard All Day was becoming a year-rounder, but it very well could just be BS.

jcarleton82 likes this.
  12. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

KBS will be released in mid March along with distro just like every other special release. The Black Party will be towards the end of April like every other year. Just the way it is.

They said they couldn't get the hops used and don't want to change the recipe. It was going to be a year rounder until that happened.

13. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (450) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Cool, thanks for the update!

14. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Founders official website lists KBS availability of April.

15. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I would love to see a barrel aged RIS. I have some one year olds now waiting for a bone-chilling day to be enjoyed by the fire. I would take a reduction in production of FBS for an increase in production of RIS. Not that I don't love FBS, but I get a case every year, age it, and drink last years case, and I would like to do the same with RIS, but it is normally too limited.

16. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I can't wait to try Founders Impy Stout and, hopefully, KBS.

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  17. Source? Like stated in the thread, the website now says April. I hope you are right.

18. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Yeah I find that pretty strange. It was definitely March of last year when it was released. I believe it was the 11th and then distro around the area was the following Thursday to most places around GR. If you look at the reviews for Bourbon Barrel Sumatra Brown, that's when the KBS party was this year.

19. Oh I know, I've been there the past 3 years. Personally I am shocked that they would change it, they usually held it as close to the Ides of March that they could. And now you just ruined my day by reminding me how damn good BB Sumatra Brown was.....so thritsy now.

20. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

On founders webpage:

"We are happy as hell to share that our new brewhouse is now on line and that we just recently started brewing into the new system. We plan to use this new system in 2012 to increase production of our specialty items to better service the demand for them. It is important to keep in mind, however, that the next couple of 750ml (Backstage Series) releases as well as the 2012 KBS release will still be scarce, because these beers were brewed on the old (smaller) system. But after that we should be off and running toward much greater availability."

2013 release of kbs should be a lot better than last years, but still expecting it to be a hard to get release. Im hoping to at least get a 4 pack out of it this year

21. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (280) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

I don't know when exactly Founders Imperial Stout will be released, but I do know that it was been bottled...as I'm drinking one from the new batch as I write this. It's another GREAT batch!!!

22. stearns16

stearns16 Savant (275) Connecticut Jan 11, 2010

It would be even better if you "live" directly across the street from the brewery!!!

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  23. More Founders please. Thank you.

24. What you do on your own time is your business.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  25. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I love the inside of the brewery.

BostonHops likes this.
  26. Me too! I'm convinced Hopson is the greatest location in GR: I open my window and let the sweet smell of Founder's magical brewing process waft into my living room.

kylelenk and TheBeerTruck like this.
  27. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (280) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Not only is it a great location, but it's no coincidence that the word "hops" is in the buildings name...as it's owned by some of the same people that own Founders. :)

28. As a RIS lover, Founders is one of the best brewed. Awesome beer, I hope it makes it to New Hampshire for the first time.

29. Wow, I guess you learn something everyday. I honestly thought it was coincidence and jokingly took pride in the name, but now I can take even more pride in knowing that I'm fulfilling the founders (double meaning) intention of housing loyal customers right across the street. ;)

TheBeerTruck likes this.
  30. It's always like this.

31. Actually, KBS did release in march last year

32. I was told yesterday by my local bottle shop that he'd have Double Trouble in early January.
    He took my number, I got excited....I'll be bummed if I have to wait until May. :mad:

33. Still some Double Trouble on the shelf in these parts lol. I wanted to pick up an single bottle just to see....probably not though

34. It actually still tastes very good. Not as hoppy, but still nice.