1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Variety Case Bottle Dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jonnyb79, Apr 6, 2013.

1. In order to purchase a 4-pack of KBS, I had to purchase any case of Founders, which in turn would lead to more Founders sold, possibility of getting more special releases in the future, etc...
    I went with the variety of the Porter, Dirty Bastard, Centennial, and Pale Ale. Case was packaged on 2-20-13, not the freshest, but if I was going to get KBS, I went with the cheapest avenue.
    Anyway, Centennial bottled on 2-14-13 and still had some good hoppiness to it. Porter bottled 2-14-13, and no date on the DB. When I went to check the bottle date on the Pale Ale, it was dated
    12-31-12. Drinking it now and can't believe that Founders didn't have any other Pales Ales lying around the brewery to throw into the variety case that weren't over a month old. Do breweries just throw variety cases together by looking at inventory and seeing what needs to go? Has anyone else seen this practice or experienced this with other variety cases besides Founders?

2. wait.

in order to buy KBS, you had to buy a case of founders year rounds ?

good grief.

3. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Thats kinda silly. I've not encountered that phenomenon.

4. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Founders in no way had something to do with your mixed case. Founders does not make "variety packs" and would probably be a bit ticked off that a store was making people buy a case just to get some KBS. I would not shop at that store.

5. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It sounds like the store wanted to upsell any customers that wanted KBS to boost sales. LAME

6. Yes, had to buy a case to get the 4-pack of KBS. I didn't know that until I got there and asked if they had any KBS. I got a strange look and the woman said, "Yeah, we're doing if you buy a case of Founders, you can get a 4-pack. We only got one case so this was the best way to split it up." $20.99 for the 4-pack so it wasn't marked up, but still...

7. Yeah Founders definitely didn't approve this. This was the store wanting to boost sales and get rid of older beer. Great for their sales but bad for their customers. Screw them

8. AWESOME ! clearly that was the best way. i wonder why more stores didn't get the memo ?

Warrior_Goat likes this.
  9. Actually here in PA, we do receive Founders Variety cases (presumably to be sold at beer distributors who can only sell by the case). Regardless, ridiculous that OP had to buy a case in order to buy KBS.

10. Yup Ive bought a Founders variety case in PA before. But it had Reds Rye in place of the Pale Ale.
    Anyways, I would have laughed in her face and walked out.

11. visualmartyr

visualmartyr Savant (370) Indiana Oct 22, 2012

my guy got 3 cases of KBS...3/4 packs went to me and 3 went to him..the rest he broke up into a 2 bottle limit at 6 dollars a bottle(which is beyond fair) however we decided that if you bought a 4 pack of FBS(yes to get rid of it) then you would be able to buy a whole 4 pack of KBS...most people had no problem whatsoever with purchasing a 10 dollar 4 pack of FBS in order get a whole 4 pack of KBS...smart business if you ask me..and totally fair

Cee-Poe and ufmj like this.
  12. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I don't have a problem with it. Founder's beer is great and I wouldn't have a problem buying more of their beer in order to get some KBS. If you want KBS elsewhere, go somewhere else. The store I go to did this and I wanted to support the store, help their Founder's sales numbers, and ensure they have KBS next time around.

OleDixie, ufmj and Duff27 like this.
  13. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I've never heard of anything like that. That seems quite bizarre.

14. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

At least they didn't force a case of BMC with each 4 pack of KBS. #brightside

ufmj and robwestcott like this.
  15. I think this is extremely smart.
    It allows for beer to be moved, more sales, and increased activity on a specific account.
    Keep in mind it is being done to gain more releases as well, so it benefits the consumers.

16. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

You realize that stores are businesses and after they purchase the product from distributors they can do whatever they want with it sell it only as a package charge over $20 a bottle once the beer is sold to distributors Founders has no say.

17. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Of course they can do what they want but it is still a shit move.

18. I emailed founders after having the same issue with the mix pack. My pale was cardboard gross beer. I think it sucks they put old beer in a case and then date the case on the day they put the beer in the case not the bottle day.

Founders never got back to me so I moved on to other beers. Breckenridge is the other beer company that never returned my email. I asked them to desipher a bottle code for me. Done buying their beer too.

My money is hard earned and if you can't even get back to me and say sorry or explain why old beer is in a newer dated case fuck you. $40+ a case I can spend with another brewery.

Oh , if my beer place told me I had to buy a case to get a 4 pack I would leave empty handed. I walked out when my hop slam case I reserved turned out to be 2 six packs for $22 each plus tax.

Enjoy

19. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

This is a better example of bad business and maybe even false advertising if they promised you a case not sure who considers a case 12 bottles and while Founders makes some great and some ok beers they dont seem to care as much as many other brewerys

20. I emailed Founders last night and let them know about the variety case. After what Giantspace said, I'm not very optimistic that I'll get a response.

21. I didn't even know Founders did a variety case. Does it have special packaging?

22. Regardless of whether that variety case originated at the brewery or was packaged by the distributor or the store, what happened here is called 'tie-in" sales, which I believe is an illegal marketing practice. You can't require a person to purchase one product in order to have the right to purchase another product. A complaint to your state Attorney General's office should clarify this for sure.

23. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Less than 2 months old is fine all around. Lets not get too crazed on 1 week old freshness dates.

dar482 and Eriktheipaman like this.