1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Four Firkins

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ToadiesForCody, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

For all we know they might be putting their own money into it and hoping the general public follows. Brilliant scam.

McRyan likes this.
  2. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (510) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Yeah ditto. This is an absurdity. Not only have they always said they don't hold beer for regulars, he repeated that in his post. So the logic is, we won't hold beer for people that have consistently visited us for years, but if you can slap down a grand then you get beer held for you. Unbelievable. I honestly just thought they were better than this. Super disappointed.

n8opot8o, PerHops, opwog and 5 others like this.
  3. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Ditto.

denali55421 and JMN44 like this.
  4. zr580rat

zr580rat Aficionado (100) Minnesota Oct 14, 2008

If you were going to contribute money to support the cause, wouldn't it make way more sense for people to just go to the store and spend $50, $300, $1000? At least you'd get a lot of beer and FF gets more money. Sounds like a win / win, or am I being too greedy?

JMN44, McRyan, PerHops and 2 others like this.
  5. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

What would happen if someone was moronic enough to call Ale Jail, Heritage, Zipps, whomever, and offer them $1000 for the right to be first in line for 2 beers a year for 10 years? I think those establishments would listen, even if they wouldn't be tacky enough to sell the opportunity. Selling beer's a for-profit venture, after all.

6. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Based on 10 years, $50 twice a year for to opportunity to buy a 4 pack of Black Note, which will cost you $20 bucks minimum? That is $17.50 a bottle. Or $75 bucks for a bottle of Backyard Rye.

I thought the Upland money grab was bad, but this bay take the cake.

Ungertaker likes this.
  7. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

We have to pay our workers please give us money.

I want to hear someone justify why they gave money to an established business looking to expand via customer's wallets

McRyan likes this.
  8. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

especially when, in all likelihood, the business to which they're contributing will be located clear across the metro. it just continues to make less and less sense to me. Here are the options I would consider if I felt I needed to expand before the landscape changed:
    1. Cut back hours/benefits of employees
    2. Carry BMC products to increase customer base. Sorry, but that ideology would go before the 'don't ask customers to fund my expansion' ideology in my opinion.
    3. Sell some of the brewerania
    crowdfunding

It seems to me it would be VERY easy for FF to offer a party to contributors and bust out a few kegs from the inventory as a thanks. No idea why this wasn't considered, unless there are legal issues.

JMN44, Ungertaker and PerHops like this.
  9. If they open one in Rochester, I may consider it...

10. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (255) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

I'm a HUGE fan of capitalism...

I drive 20 minutes to travel to a liquor store... I pass some great Bottle Shops in TC in order to go there. I get great customer service...great recommendations... and my business is valued. That is where my cash will go. I got a feeling this will work itself out. When FF and Total Wine both get their special releases... I have a feeling more and more people will start trickling to stores like Total Wine. Look at what Wal-Mart did to SO many downtown mom and pop shops. People go to the mom and pop shops to spite the big box stores... until the mom and pop store screws you over and doesn't value your business. Then they are NO different then the big box store Except the BB store has more selection, and better prices....

ALSO - You can get so many good craft beers at ANY liquor store now... the need for a boutique shop is almost not needed anymore. I can understand back in the day when the coolers at most liquor stores were filled with Grain Belt and Bud Light...

11. mnbearsfan

If MSP is 3.75 Million people, why don't we have more Craft Beer only stores? Why, FF is a destination, a second store is just a "store". My kids love legos. Once and a while it is fun to go to the MOA, but Target does just fine as long as I pay cash.

McRyan, Ungertaker and HoudiniRN like this.
  12. HoudiniRN

Bring on Binnys!

13. $11,000 in one day?
    Yeah, right....

It's just a ruse to get people to buy in, and keep up with the Jones's.

McRyan likes this.
  14. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

maybe slightly premature, but with the way this thread is going... In before the Lock!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    s_wit and BeerGoogler like this.
  15. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I'm sure there are real investors who would make this happen for them, but they would rather a free handout to keep additional profits for themselves. There is a respectable and responsible way of expanding a business without taking short cuts, this is the opposite. Greed, it's a very powerful desire...

denali55421 and JMN44 like this.
  16. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (145) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

Update: the cash grab is now over $14k.

There are 6 suckers who have paid $1,000 to get twice a year access to rare beer. So if FF gets a case of KBS and each of them wants KBS there would be no KBS for the public (that's assuming FF would allow each of the suckers a 4 pack). FF doesn't state how much rare beer you are allowed to reserve. It would be too funny if each sucker was only allowed 1 or 2 bottles of a rare release.

Maybe FF gets several cases of each rare release but I think the point of reducing rare releases to the public is the same.

McRyan likes this.
  17. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Even if each sucker is allowed a whole case of a special release, they still have to pay for the actual beer on top of their $1000 donation. It's just insane as to why someone would pay that much money for any beer period. Like someone else said, go spend $1000 on beer at their store. That's a lot of damn beer and you're still helping them out.

Chaz and McRyan like this.
  18. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

maybe they are stockpiling this cash so they can afford to eventually be open on sundays.

XmnwildX12 likes this.
  19. jera1350

But then they will have to pay even more employees!

maximum12 likes this.
  20. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

Can I do this to cover day care costs for kid #2?

Seefeldt likes this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Slightly off-topic, but have you seen what Dave went for on the Bay* a few years back? :confused:

*It was an auction for charity, but still.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  22. jera1350

The problem is that not a single special release beer that you will have reserved for you is anywhere near that rare. You could go to another store and still be able to purchase it.

23. Yes. I might recommend putting a $500 tier, where the donor gets to pick the toy your child plays with at day care, but must cover its retail cost. Everybody wins.*

Everybody = you.

Ungertaker and BeerGoogler like this.
  24. For the record, I abhor this entire idea of FF's. Having said that, I do appreciate that they made a business decision to not just pay the bare minimum to their employees, and I understand the affect that can have on profits. People need a living wage, and that idea is worth supporting.

But the thing I'm most happy about is that I have a hunch this whole debacle will be giving us lulz and in-jokes for months and years to come. So for that, FF, we thank you!

25. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

BeerGoogler likes this.
  26. That is quite the understatement.

27. dstavig

dstavig Disciple (65) Minnesota Sep 22, 2008

Yeah, FF is screwed. These BA threads carry so much weight in the industry and general public.

cmannes and mjryan like this.
  28. mnbearsfan

Congrats on your first post! I remember my first one...

Ish1, BeerGoogler, Ungertaker and 3 others like this.
  29. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Sarcasm.

30. mnbearsfan

Look at the first post he/she made....

It was today. Congrats on Homerism

Ungertaker and RKPStogie like this.
  31. HoudiniRN

EXACTLY. If you do the math - There are "40" rare beer holds for sale. No one should expect to find anything "rare"... They've essentially pre sold everything.

Chaz likes this.
  32. jera1350

You used to work at FF so I'm sure this statement is completely unbiased, right? :rolleyes:

Word of mouth is a very powerful tool. They will lose business from this I'm sure.

denali55421 and McRyan like this.
  33. I don't get why someone would want to pay $5000 to ask for entrepreneurial advice from someone who uses indiegogo (or any like websites) to start a business and has no degree/certification/extensive background in teaching such matters.

However ridiculous though, it seems like people continue to contribute.. Me thinks I should start one to fund my beer purchases......

$10 - You get to have a conversation with me about beer
    $50 - We create a special beer handshake that only we know and make everyone else feel left out
    $100 - I'll go to Ace Hardware and get your name etched on a plaque
    $500 - We'll go tour Surly Brewing, have a beer, and I'll take you out to dinner
    $1000 - You get to pick any beer from my collection, and will get to do this once a year for life
    $5000 - I'll consult you on how to invest in your future by opening a Roth IRA
    $10000 - You must really love me! Just give me the money and then call sometime and ask for a favor, as long as it's not illegal or involves sexual acts (This may include such things as paying your bail for a minor offense, driving you to your grandmothers, fixing that noisy refrigerator, or taking car of your dog for a week)

All who would like to contribute just message me

gatornation, leezy, opwog and 5 others like this.
  34. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Or they could use a crowd funding site and not have to take on investors.

35. HoudiniRN

This would be great on Shark Tank...

"I'm asking for $50,000, for a 0% equity share in my company"

n8opot8o, SipIt, BrettHead and 4 others like this.
  36. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Your sarcasm is thinly-veiled, nice job on that. We all now know that there is at least one person who read the threads for over five years without ever posting a response until this came up. Those of us who reply here generally have lives outside of here, too. We influence our friends, who speak to their friends, etc. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Negative exposure never helps anyone. Three of my craft beer-loving, non-BA friends (who used to frequent the Firkins) have vowed not to shop at FF after we discussed this very topic. I didn't try to convince to do so, it just happened. How many others do you think are out there who have experienced the same?

WillRadar, SipIt, McRyan and 2 others like this.
  37. Get off your high horse. I've seen you say similar shit on BA about a dozen breweries and stores and bars over the last few years. Chill out and don't donate if you don't want to.

38. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I happen to like it on my high horse & if Your Highness doesn't mind, I'll spend my money at breweries & stores that I enjoy. Though I can understand why you quoted my post, since I'm the only human being in the Twin Cities annoyed by this nonsense.

39. Just curious, but why are you commenting here?

40. Because somebody on the Internet is wrong?

I've been around the MSP beer scene a few times, met a few folks, had a few beers, shared a few bottles.

Ungertaker and psychotia like this.