1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Franconia is bottling

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by prlonghorn87, Aug 1, 2013.

1. prlonghorn87

prlonghorn87 Disciple (65) Texas Jul 14, 2013

I heard from a friend that Franconia started bottling. Supposedly by the end of the week they will be in Central Market, Whole Foods and Total Wine in DFW. I am happy to see Franconia hitting the shelves, been a big fan of their beer for a while. Definitely my favorite Octoberfest beer.
  2. deadliest

deadliest Savant (395) Texas Jun 4, 2009

That the Dunkel and Kolsch are getting bottled is awesome. Really hope their lager gets in bottles. Their dunkel and lager are both in my top 10.
  3. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (410) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Yup. Lonestar says they'll have it tomorrow.
  4. Show

Show Aficionado (225) Texas Jul 21, 2011

always liked them for the occasional draft pint, can't see them being to successful in bottles though..
    don't know why, but not seeing it- hope i am wrong!... i do like their pils + kristal!
  5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (410) Texas Aug 31, 2011

TBH, I think they'll do fine. Franconia seems to have a lot of fans (esp. among those who aren't currently really into craft-beer as a whole) and most of the styles they brew aren't done by other local breweries.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I hope these guys come to Austin. I'd love some sort of competition to get Live Oak off their ass and start bottling (it seems like they have very similar styles).
    Ford and JJFoodie like this.
  7. prlonghorn87

Agree, I have never understood Live Oaks resistance to bottling especially now that the market has grown so much in ATX. I wouldnt mind enjoying some of their hefeweizen at home from time to time.

I know the owner of Franconia is big into "distributing the freshest beer". Will be interesting to see if he can keep that philosophy by bottling. My friend told me that Franconia was looking to expanding south pretty quickly. I guess it will depend on the success the bottles have up here. I know I'll be contributing.
  8. Lutter

Because Hippy.
  9. frognot

frognot Aficionado (210) Texas May 20, 2009

Sitting here sipping on a Black and Tan made with Franconia Dunkel and their Kolsch. Mighty tasty.

Very happy that Franconia is now bottling. Thank you Dennis and Cam!
  10. prlonghorn87

I just bought some of their dunkel in Halls. They also had their wheat beer there.
  11. MrLupulos

MrLupulos Aficionado (130) Texas Jul 28, 2007

Im excited to hear that Franconia is bottling, I got to do the tour during Oktoberfest and I was blown away by there Oktoberfest beer. Ill be the first in line for that Oktoberfest when it hits the shelf, I hope to see there bottles here in Austin.
  12. Someone send me Winter Wheat to CA when it comes out.
    lonestarbev likes this.
  13. lonestar4lunch

lonestar4lunch Savant (295) Texas Jan 29, 2006

Saw it at Lonestar when I was up in the Plano area on Saturday. It took me a min to register what I was looking at cause I didn't realize they were going to bottle. Wish I would've grabbed some dunkel but was distracted by the nice lady in short shorts telling me about their radio promo or tight shirt going on...or something. Grabbed some Martin House Imperial Red and a Buffalo Bayou Belgian Double though.
    lonestarbev likes this.
  14. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (215) Texas Oct 18, 2006

Yeah...sorry about that!
  15. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Savant (375) Texas Jun 28, 2013

I find Franconia thoroughly under-whelming. I don't think they are bad, but tons of better beer out there.
  16. Too bad. I find you thoroughly over-snobby. Way to piss in the kool-aid.
  17. Indytruks138

So its snobby to say you find a product inferior? Good to know, crazy how I got people agreeing with me, we must all be kool-aid defilers.
  18. It's the way you say it. How is it inferior? Maybe you could provide examples in an appropriate setting. Also, is it necessary to insert your negative opinion in a positive thread? That, my friend, is snobby.

I'm sorry that Franconia doesn't produce bourbon barrel aged cranberry oatmeal curry sour imperial stouts or whatever it is you jerk off to. And yes, you have every right to not like Franconia's beers but this thread isn't the place to voice that opinion or "get people to agree with you." Jesus man, this is why I don't come on here too often anymore. The beer community used to be so cool. Fucking elitists.
    prlonghorn87 and ChrisYarborough like this.
  19. Lutter

That beer sounds complex! When does it come out?
  20. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Is it necessary for him to assert his opinion of the brewery that is the topic of this thread? Um, yes. I didn't find anything out of line about the way he said it either.

Yep. Now it seems that people are being jumped on merely for stating harmless opinions. Very uncool.
  21. I just don't think it needs to be in here. Why bother inserting a negative opinion you have about a brewery in thread where clearly, most people are positive about them bottling.
  22. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Because everyone wants to throw in their two cents, and that's okay. FWIW, I disagree with him. I also disagree with people who think that Dark Lord, Chocolate Rain, and DFH 120 are good beers, and I think I'm entitled to voice my minority viewpoint on those subjects when they come up. He didn't say anything vulgar or disrespectful about the brewery, so I don't see why it's such a big deal that he doesn't feel the way the rest of us do.
  23. prlonghorn87

From my side, I am glad to see a lot of people give Franconia their support by buying their bottles. Since they are on the outskirts of Dallas I dont think Franconia always gets the respect they deserve.

Franconia brews very standard, purity law, German beers which I enjoy and I think they can compete with some of the big German breweries like Hofbrau and Paulaner. That is the niche Franconia decided to carve out. I don't know of very many other breweries in Texas that work that niche like Franconia does an it works for them. I for one am glad that I can enjoy their beer at home now.
    frognot and pwsoldier like this.
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

If you only want to hear from people who agree with you, an open Internet forum might not be the right spot. He simply stated an opinion - feel free to disagree, and talk about it, but don't try to quell dissenting opinions. Hell, his comments weren't even that bad: he just said there are better options.

Personally, I've only had 1 Franconia beer, and didnt like it, but I'll try others before I develop an opinion.
    UT-Alex likes this.
  25. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (425) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Who the fuck are you?
  26. Lutter

Meh. California. You need more of an explanation?
    Chuk_Hell and HookemHops13 like this.
  27. Indytruks138

I've stayed quiet as to not stir things up, but thanks everyone for letting dude know it's just conversation, nothing hateful.
  28. You guys sure told me...

Yes, I live in CA but I spent 3 years in your state. I know a thing or two about your beer. Remember, you're still in Texas...
  29. Go back to your hole, you don't belong on the internet.
  30. I don't belong on BA, apparently. I have a soul.
  31. Lutter

[​IMG]
  32. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I believe the correct term is bleeding heart. Everything is rosy in Cali....remember.
  33. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

Don't try Reddit either then...
  34. You guys are no fun.
    cfh64 and air like this.
  35. BJasny

BJasny Savant (355) Texas Jul 10, 2011

I personally didn't find the dude's comment about Franconia being underwhelming being out of place, it just sounds like on this thread he is in the minority. I personally might be more and more impressed by Franconia everytime I drink one and am super glad they now bottle their beer. Can't wait to try their Oktoberfest as it sounds pretty amazing from your guys' comments haha
  36. It is pretty fucking good.
    air likes this.
  37. Durdz

Durdz Zealot (75) Texas Jul 24, 2013

If they ever bottle McKinney Champagne my wife would be in heaven, it's her favorite brew.
  38. Lutter

Noticed Wheat, Dunkel, and Kolsch at Central Market Westgate today... first time I have seen this in the Austin market (or maybe I just haven't been paying attention).
  39. Indytruks138

I will say we got to try the Kolsch at the CM Sip and Stroll, it was a great Kolsch. None of the former diacetyl problems Franconia had been known for.
  40. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

I'll go a step further by saying that the term "underwhelming" is actually more praise than many of their brews deserve. Their hef is quite disappointing; it's unacceptably off-style for a brewery which adheres to the Reinheitsgebot.

The Dunkel they make is even worse. The last bottle I had tasted metallic, fizzy, and bland. No roasted malt, wheaty sweetness, or other standard flavors. Body is also off for the style: highly carbed and light- to medium-bodied. I'd never guess it was a Dunkel by taste alone. As a generic beer, it was mediocre to bad. But as a Dunkel, it's a failure across the board.

You can brew a 100% extract batch of homebrew using a recipe from a store-bought kit (for either of the above beers) with far superior results -- even if it's your very first time brewing. I'm more than happy to support local breweries, but I won't buy a substantially inferior product.
    Mcal likes this.