1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frangelic Mountain Brown Hate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Guys, I know I'm a Backstage release behind on this post (Bolt Cutter is good, not great), but I think there are two beers on this website that polarize BAs unlike any others: Frangelic Mountain Brown and Creme Brulee. Creme Brulee is a topic for another thread, but I'd really like to hear about what people specifically hate or like about FMB.

My personal opinion: FMB is a unique beer, perhaps incomparable to Founders' other Backstage releases, but still good for what it is.

2. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I loved this beer. People hated it because it had the word artificial on the side of the bottle. Really. That's the only reason.

DevilsCups, jaxon53, Bung and 5 others like this.
  3. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

One of those beers that I like in small doses.

HopNuggets likes this.
  4. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Smelled great, it had an artificial sweetener aftertaste to me. BTW, I didn't know it said artificial on the label, lol.

5. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Speak for yourself. I didn't like the beer because it didn't taste good. I never saw the word "artificial" on the bottle because I never looked. Tough for me to like a beer that tastes like it had hazelnut-flavored syrup squirted into it like a cup of Starbucks. Simply not good.

deeblo, Onenote81, Patrick and 9 others like this.
  6. i liked it in a 750ml dose

fishtremble, aasher, nrs207 and 7 others like this.
  7. I personally thought it tasted like hazelnut breakfast stout. Nothing spectacular or super special, but most importantly, nothing worth $15 - 22 per bottle.

Bung and Eriktheipaman like this.
  8. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

89 / 3.98 Doesn't seem like much hate, maybe just a lack of love. I thought it was a good beer but not something I'd really seek out, even if it was a 4-pack for the same price

9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Unrealistic expectations ruined another beer. I am not sure what some people expected when they heard Imperial Brown Ale with Hazelnut coffee but that is exactly what Founders delivered. While it may not be everyone cup of tea but I find it hard to believe if you were to go into this beer with realistic expectations that people would be as disappointed as they are.

10. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

I had it on nitro last week. It was a big improvement over the bottle..which I enjoyed.

Also, I think it's better than bolt cutter as far as backstage disappointments go.

Jtc2811 likes this.
  11. Too thin for the overwhelming hazelnut syrup.

bbrown12 likes this.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Tasted like hazelnut flavored iced coffee. I love hazelnut. I love iced coffee. Thought FMB was rather tasty. They certainly hit the mark for what they were going for. If you go into a hazelnut coffee beer and you don't like hazelnut coffee.... then what the hell are you doing?

13. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Artificial shit oozes from the bottle!!!

lvoutlawjlh and pjeagles like this.
  14. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Personally, one of my favorite beers of 2012. But it's a really sweet beer, and as the OP said, beers like this and Creme Brûlée get a lot of flack for being that sweet. I like sweet, over the top beers so this one was right up my alley.

15. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I don't especially like coffee beers, but thought this one was pretty decent - about as good as it gets for a style I don't like. Definitely didn't get 'artificial' and syrup.

16. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I got a bottle in trade...I enjoyed it a lot. Like someone else mentioned...FBS with hazelnut is what I got. If anything it was a well made beer by one of the best American breweries...think everyone was expecting the second coming of CBS.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  17. I think Creme Brule is sickeningly sweetened undrinkable.
    My brother, on the other hand loves it.
    Oh wait. You wanted to talk about FMB.
    I thought it was very good, not great. I found it a little thin but I didn't have a problem with it ts sting artificial. If it was a regular Founders release, I would drink it occasionally.

18. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Would have loved to have tried this one, personally.

Love Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, where the hazelnut has always tasted like hazelnut syrup to me (which is a bit of a critique, just not enough to prevent me from being a huge fan of the beer), so a brown that also adds coffee into the mix intrigues me. A lot.

19. my thoughts exactly!

chanokokoro likes this.
  20. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

We tried it at a tasting few weeks back. We had mixed reviews on this one. I liked it, tasted like hazelnut coffee?? Then last pour to a friend that just arrived all this syrupy shit oozes from the bottle. Grossed everyone out and was funny too! I'll pass.

21. I loved FMB. Hazelnut is my favorite flavor (desperately ISO Grey Monday at the moment), and while FMB was a little too sweet, it still delivered an intense hazelnut character in a nice, malty brown. I think it garnered all the hate because it was not as well crafted as the Backstage beer that preceded it, nor was that one (Better Half) in even the same universe as CBS. Essentially Founders shot themselves in the foot with CBS, since every backstage from here on will be compared to it and found wanting.

If it had gone Blushing Monk, FMB, Better Half, and then CBS, people would have loved FMB, then gone silent about it a year later.

22. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

The Backstage series had become so damn overhyped by the time it came out, that unless is was CBS that was further aged in PVW barrels, people were going to hate. It's just a very polarizing beer. If you don't like hazelnut or coffee beers or brown ales, there's a good chance you won't like it.

Personally, I thought it was better than several of the Backstage series beers... To each their own...

23. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Agreed LambicKing. As far as the word "artificial" on the side of the bottle, I discovered it after drinking around half a glass and finding it extremely unpalatable due to the artificial sweetner taste. I have a sensitivity to artifical sweetners and find the taste of saccharine, Nutrasweet, etc. to be completely unappealing. I could taste it in FMB from the first sip. I checked out the bottle to see if it stated that artificial sweetners were used. My guess is that hazelnut syrup was also used which usually contains artificial sweetners.

Sorry to shoot your theory down ndepriest, but the disgusting taste came first.

24. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Frangelic was a delicious beer. I think kzoobrew nailed it on the head when he said people had unrealistic expectations for this beer, which in all honesty, following up Blushing Monk, CBS, and Better Half, any beer that came after it was going to have some pretty big shoes to fill. However, anyone who's ever had their Frangelic Stout on tap at the brewery knew they were going to be in for a sweeter beer. Throw in the hazelnut nutty brown flavor, and that's what you've got in FMB. I don't understand why people hated it so much, but I thought it was great that I could casually stroll into just about any bottle shop in the area and have my pick of the litter. I can't even say that about Bolt Cutter, and FMB was far, far better than that (I also don't like barleywines, so there's that).

Also, Crème Brûlée is amazing, as is Choklat. Keep on hating, haters, more for me. :)

Bung likes this.
  25. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Found two bottles on the shelf last week. It does say "... BREWED WITH ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED HAZELNUT COFFEE"

26. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

I loved this beer and I can't wait to open my cellared one.

27. oldschool9

oldschool9 Aficionado (220) Ohio Dec 20, 2010

I bought two of these beers had one on Thanksgiving and I'm cellaring the other. I thought it was actually a good beer for what it was and thought that they hit what they where going for. Its a hazelnut beer so if your dont like those type of flavors stay away, due to thats mostly what you get with it. Sadly I paid 20 a bottle and feel it is a littl overpriced. It was my first backstage series soI happy paid it at the time.

28. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

My exact feelings about the beer!

29. I thought that it was decent. Another coffee beer with a different type of coffee. Worth $17? Probably not, I'd rather buy two 4 packs of Breakfast Stout. Was still glad to try it though.

30. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I think it has to do with the coffee flavor, whether artificial hazelnut was the case or not. I have noticed this with other coffee beers. As someone who drinks higher quality coffee I can tell sometimes if the coffee used is lower quality or abused (used in boil, etc). Some of my drinking friends will love a coffee beer but I will hate on it, but they will admit to drinking cheap coffee (such as Foldgers).

As for FMB, I thought it was okay. The base beer was good but the coffee and hazelnut distracted the beer for me. I am not a fan of flavored coffee beer in general, especially hazelnut, though I love hazelnuts. I am not able to say if this is due to artificial hazelnut flavoring or not as I am not sure if I have had non-artificial flavoring hazelnut coffee.

Honestly, I have not been over impressed with any of the backstage series. Sure CBS was great fresh, but not worth the craze around it. FMB was good, and CBH was bad (though I like regular OC). I have not had bolt cutter or blushing monk, so I guess I cannot comment on the series as a whole.

cbeer88 likes this.
  31. Enjoyed this on tap and bottled. Didn't understand the negative response. Not KBS, but still a damn good brew IMO.

32. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

*insert obligatory send me your bad beer post here*

I fuckin love that stuff.

jacob4999 likes this.
  33. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

I mean, it has an 89. Is that really hate these days?

34. I thought Frangelic was pretty good, but as a gourmet, foo-foo, limited release entry, it didn't carry it's weight compared to such easy to get brews, and infinitely less expensive (for me), as Palo Santo, DFH Indian Brown, and Terrapin Reunion 2012.

35. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

It is a bit thin but I quite like it and have a few still.

36. Lovvvved the Reunion!!! The FMB fresh was a monster. Not to concerned with what was on the label cuz that brew was dynamite fresh!!!. Drank one a couple of months later and some of the "forefront" notes had faded a bit, but still tasty. At the register, fresh yes for the price tag, a lil while later, I'll enjoy those Reunion Ales all day for considerably less, right tasty that Terrapin/Schmaltz collabo;)

Chaney likes this.
  37. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Creme Brulee is icky.

FMB is not icky.

BobZ, ant880, zrab11 and 1 other person like this.
  38. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I haven't had any of them, but Creme Brulee stays on shelves longer than the other two did, so it must be the worst. Bolt Cutter stayed on the shelves longer than FMB, so it must be worse than FMB. This is simple science guys.

yamar68 and davey101 like this.
  39. People don't care about it because it's not barrel aged. Don't you that everything has to be barrel aged now to be good/

BGrider85, Bung and fredmugs like this.
  40. I think the shit is the bomb. I could not get over the aroma, damn good.