1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frangelic Mountain Brown Hate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Eh. I actually went into the beer before that thread popped up and people boarded the hate train. I was super stoked since I go out of my way to put Nutella on anything edible. It really just did very little for me and I did get an odd sort of sucralose flavor.

chanokokoro and LambicKing like this.
  2. davey101

I love creme brulee :(

Hanzo and LambicKing like this.
  3. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (460) Ohio May 2, 2010

My first and only drain pour from Founders. That beer was a mess...

chanokokoro likes this.
  4. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Turn that frown upside down. Let's just agree to disagree... diversity is the breath of harmony. May your taste buds find peace in the darkest corners of ingenuity. May your eyes widen upon sight of something strange or surreal. Seize the day, tackle each ambition.

Naters333 and davey101 like this.
  5. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

This alone would have led me to buy it, bad reviews aside.

6. davey101

I can now sleep in peace. Restless days be gone. Thank you.

7. Let me add on to my last statement. It's not barrel aged therefor will not become a whale therefor won't get you Cantillons.

gustogasmic likes this.
  8. I bought it at my local bottle shop, not knowing anything about it at the time other than I really liked Founder's Double Trouble and Breakfast Stout, I like coffee beers, I like hazelnuts, and it was about $15 a bottle. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but I definitely wasn't expecting to hate it, and man was it gross to my palate. I got through most of the bomber, but I really wanted to drain pour it after a few sips (I had never drain poured a beer before, the only one I have since was Pumking).

That said, I've liked or loved everything I've had from founders since (I could take or leave Centennial and Cerise), but I really think that beer was a huge misstep and an insult to the consumer at the price point.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Pretty nice beer and definitely unique

10. It just seems odd to me that someone could dislike a beer like FMB because it tastes "artificial" while simultaneously liking creme brulee. Creme brulee seriously tastes like store-bought vanilla icing. Personally, I don't hate it, but I do recognize that store-bought vanilla icing tastes incredibly artificial.

11. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Savant (250) Virginia Jan 28, 2012

I enjoyed it but would not buy it again at $14/bottle.

12. I enjoy it, but its nothing spectacular. I guess that artificial taste gets to me. I enjoy hazelnut coffee, so I thought I would like this a lot more. My buddy loves it, so I bring a bottle when I head over there. I bought a case when released, so I still have about 6 left.

13. If FMB was $7/bottle, it MIGHT warrant a revisit...

just to confirm I thought it was was bad.

14. frickprick

frickprick Disciple (65) Washington May 11, 2011

When you are a world class brewery and you create a special limited release Baskstage Series brand and charge premium prices, people are expecting a home run. I think people were expecting an amazing coffee concoction along the lines of FBS which is world class. I was expecting Founders to hit another coffee home run with this and instead I got a bunt.

15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

No hate here...just underwhelmed.

16. When you're one of the best regional brewers in the world and you come out with a series of limited release beers that have all been received extremely well along with a list of brewpub only beers that lots of people want to see released and you brew one beer that is relatively not as good and quite polarizing, you are going to receive a lot of hate.

gustogasmic likes this.
  17. Fresh, I thought it was pretty tasty. Drank a second bottle I hadn't gotten around to until a month ago. Coffee taste had fallen off big time, and it was boozier tasting. Quick question to anyone; if anyone has cracked open their CBS recently, how has it held up? I'm imagining being a big stout it should be fine, but I'm banking on the coffee fading a little.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

On a side note, thank you for the extra bottle you gave me that I enjoyed very much.

That's the great thing about beer, not everyone likes the sames things, and sometimes you can benefit from that.

LambicKing and tectactoe like this.
  19. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I didn't like it because the hazelnut was overpowering. I am a Founders fan boy and always will be, but FMB was mediocre.

20. Flavor fell off big time from fresh in June til i drank my second one in December. Not bad, but not as tasty as it was fresh. Then again, if you drank your first one in November, you prolly already experience what I did in December

21. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

at the tap and mallet event? It was delicious on nitro there. I ordered 2 of them and I didn't love the bottle I had.

22. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

It's the best hazelnut coffee brown ale I've ever had.

gustogasmic likes this.
  23. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

Affirmative

24. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

For those of you cellaring FMB, I've actually heard Founders themselves say that that's not a good idea, as the hazelnut flavor is the first thing to go.

25. Personally, I think that would improve the beer. My problem with it was that it was completely one-dimensional ...

26. oldschool9

oldschool9 Aficionado (230) Ohio Dec 20, 2010

True. I didn't have it as fresh as possible by any means, but I thought there was a good amount of hazelnut still in there lol. Looking forward to seeing how it ages with that, aging a brown though? Never really thought I would be doing that, but its all fun for me! Like I said not worth the $ IMO, but it was a fun beer to try. Just most likely not going to buy 2 of the next backstage release unless they bring something to up the bar. Cheers!

27. It wasn't a terrible beer, but let's put it this way - if it wasn't made by Founders you never would have even heard about it. Just nothing at all remarkable about the beer.

28. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

A fantastic beer that A.) is Overpriced B.) Not nearly as fantastic or complex as the other Backstage releases C.) Says artificial on the side D.) Is really fuckin' hazelnutty.

All 4 of those things have garnered hate but I maintain my opinion that FMB is an awesome beer.

29. Or they just didn't like the taste of it.....

To the OP: Count me in as one of the folks that didn't like. I love a nice coffee beer, but the hazelnut flavor was too much. Artificial, organic, didn't matter, there was too much of it.

gustogasmic likes this.
  30. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I like Coffee Mate hazelnut coffee creamer in my coffee... just not in my beer. I think they captured the flavor 100% exactly right... I just don't like it.

I also think there is a difference between making a bad beer, and a beer that you just don't like the flavor of... and I feel like this is the latter.

I did try this once, paired with chocolate cake and it was much better then, than when I had it on its own. That said, it's still not a flavor I like in beer.

Completely the opposite of Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut, which was poorly executed and was just done wrong.

31. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I was trying to think if maybe I just don't like the combo of hazelnut and coffee but then I remembered this beer, truly amazing. I think it comes down to (aside from a great base beer) adding quality coffee and quality hazelnut.

32. Bung

Bung Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

End of thread.

33. Bung

Bung Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

Well, at least read down to this one anyway.

34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I liked it a lot. I got 2 bottles from a friend, drank 1, and will soon drink the other. If any of you folks that didnt like it still have a bottle, feel free to send it my way - I'll drain pour it into my mouth drain for you. :p

35. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

I opened one on NYE and the coffee and hazelnut flavors had dropped off significantly. Fresh this beer was as amazing a coffee beer I've ever had. Only better ones I can recall are Beachwood Tovarish and Pizza Port From Dusk 'Til Dawn. But when last opened my FMB it was eerily similar to Rogue Hazelnut Brown, which is a good beer in its own right. But it was a bastardized version of what it was fresh.

My advice to anyone that still has it, is drink ASAP.

36. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Wouldn't cellaring just make it zero-dimensional then? :confused:

37. ba's aging flowchart:

if the beer isn't good -> cellar it, it will become good
    if the beer is good -> cellar it, it will become great
    if the beer is aged and isn't doing well -> tell everyone it's doing well, and trade it

38. Another problem may be that people think "hazelnut coffee" is a real thing. And it's not.

Providence likes this.
  39. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I didn't think you could improve your avatar over the previous Trey version, but the new one did it!

40. a74gent

a74gent Savant (405) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

If it DID taste like hazelnut FBS, then I think people would have been off-the-chain for it. You seem to be someone who did think so. I, on the other hand, didn't get that at all....and it was because the hazelnut taste was not deep, authentic and yummy IMO (didn't know what the label said, I buy it for the beer not the articles). If the flavor was good, I think it would have been a good beer but not what I really wanted although I could have judged it accordingly. What I really would have liked was FBS or a Hazelnutty IS....but I'm a big boy and can judge it for what it was.

IMHO, it was not Founders-quality product...I expect more from one of the top handful of craft brewers out there in their limited release series.

LambicKing likes this.