Frangelic Mountain Brown Hate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New York

The Backstage series had become so damn overhyped by the time it came out, that unless is was CBS that was further aged in PVW barrels, people were going to hate. It's just a very polarizing beer. If you don't like hazelnut or coffee beers or brown ales, there's a good chance you won't like it.

Personally, I thought it was better than several of the Backstage series beers... To each their own...

2. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Agreed LambicKing. As far as the word "artificial" on the side of the bottle, I discovered it after drinking around half a glass and finding it extremely unpalatable due to the artificial sweetner taste. I have a sensitivity to artifical sweetners and find the taste of saccharine, Nutrasweet, etc. to be completely unappealing. I could taste it in FMB from the first sip. I checked out the bottle to see if it stated that artificial sweetners were used. My guess is that hazelnut syrup was also used which usually contains artificial sweetners.

Sorry to shoot your theory down ndepriest, but the disgusting taste came first.

3. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

Frangelic was a delicious beer. I think kzoobrew nailed it on the head when he said people had unrealistic expectations for this beer, which in all honesty, following up Blushing Monk, CBS, and Better Half, any beer that came after it was going to have some pretty big shoes to fill. However, anyone who's ever had their Frangelic Stout on tap at the brewery knew they were going to be in for a sweeter beer. Throw in the hazelnut nutty brown flavor, and that's what you've got in FMB. I don't understand why people hated it so much, but I thought it was great that I could casually stroll into just about any bottle shop in the area and have my pick of the litter. I can't even say that about Bolt Cutter, and FMB was far, far better than that (I also don't like barleywines, so there's that).

Also, Crème Brûlée is amazing, as is Choklat. Keep on hating, haters, more for me. :slight_smile:

Bung likes this.
  4. taxman

taxman Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Illinois

Found two bottles on the shelf last week. It does say "... BREWED WITH ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED HAZELNUT COFFEE"

5. brewtus

brewtus Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 Ohio

I loved this beer and I can't wait to open my cellared one.

6. oldschool9

oldschool9 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 Ohio

I bought two of these beers had one on Thanksgiving and I'm cellaring the other. I thought it was actually a good beer for what it was and thought that they hit what they where going for. Its a hazelnut beer so if your dont like those type of flavors stay away, due to thats mostly what you get with it. Sadly I paid 20 a bottle and feel it is a littl overpriced. It was my first backstage series soI happy paid it at the time.

7. zrab11

zrab11 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Indiana

My exact feelings about the beer!

8. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Pundit (920) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

I thought that it was decent. Another coffee beer with a different type of coffee. Worth $17? Probably not, I'd rather buy two 4 packs of Breakfast Stout. Was still glad to try it though.

9. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I think it has to do with the coffee flavor, whether artificial hazelnut was the case or not. I have noticed this with other coffee beers. As someone who drinks higher quality coffee I can tell sometimes if the coffee used is lower quality or abused (used in boil, etc). Some of my drinking friends will love a coffee beer but I will hate on it, but they will admit to drinking cheap coffee (such as Foldgers).

As for FMB, I thought it was okay. The base beer was good but the coffee and hazelnut distracted the beer for me. I am not a fan of flavored coffee beer in general, especially hazelnut, though I love hazelnuts. I am not able to say if this is due to artificial hazelnut flavoring or not as I am not sure if I have had non-artificial flavoring hazelnut coffee.

Honestly, I have not been over impressed with any of the backstage series. Sure CBS was great fresh, but not worth the craze around it. FMB was good, and CBH was bad (though I like regular OC). I have not had bolt cutter or blushing monk, so I guess I cannot comment on the series as a whole.

cbeer88 likes this.
  10. AleToTheVictors

AleToTheVictors Zealot (557) Feb 7, 2012 Maryland

Enjoyed this on tap and bottled. Didn't understand the negative response. Not KBS, but still a damn good brew IMO.

11. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

*insert obligatory send me your bad beer post here*

I fuckin love that stuff.

jacob4999 likes this.
  12. DStoked

DStoked Zealot (672) Sep 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I mean, it has an 89. Is that really hate these days?

13. Chaney

Chaney Pooh-Bah (1,957) Apr 20, 2006 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah

I thought Frangelic was pretty good, but as a gourmet, foo-foo, limited release entry, it didn't carry it's weight compared to such easy to get brews, and infinitely less expensive (for me), as Palo Santo, DFH Indian Brown, and Terrapin Reunion 2012.

14. krl2112

krl2112 Pooh-Bah (1,682) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is a bit thin but I quite like it and have a few still.

15. Crabbicuss

Crabbicuss Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Maryland

Lovvvved the Reunion!!! The FMB fresh was a monster. Not to concerned with what was on the label cuz that brew was dynamite fresh!!!. Drank one a couple of months later and some of the "forefront" notes had faded a bit, but still tasty. At the register, fresh yes for the price tag, a lil while later, I'll enjoy those Reunion Ales all day for considerably less, right tasty that Terrapin/Schmaltz collabo:wink:

Chaney likes this.
  16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Creme Brulee is icky.

FMB is not icky.

BobZ, ant880, zrab11 and 1 other person like this.
  17. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

I haven't had any of them, but Creme Brulee stays on shelves longer than the other two did, so it must be the worst. Bolt Cutter stayed on the shelves longer than FMB, so it must be worse than FMB. This is simple science guys.

yamar68 and davey101 like this.
  18. Seanniek91

Seanniek91 Savant (1,172) Jul 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

People don't care about it because it's not barrel aged. Don't you that everything has to be barrel aged now to be good/

BGrider85, Bung and fredmugs like this.
  19. Localdrinklax

Localdrinklax Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2010 Wisconsin

I think the shit is the bomb. I could not get over the aroma, damn good.

20. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

Eh. I actually went into the beer before that thread popped up and people boarded the hate train. I was super stoked since I go out of my way to put Nutella on anything edible. It really just did very little for me and I did get an odd sort of sucralose flavor.

chanokokoro and LambicKing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.