1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frangelic Mountain Brown Hate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I'll go one step further: If it wasn't brewed by Founders, it wouldn't even get half the responses defending it. If it was Rogue, for instance, it would be more than fashionable to hate on it.
    fujindemon74 and nanobrew like this.
  2. It was not meant to be a compliment. I no longer think of FBS as a premium stout. At one point I though it was the best stout I had ever had, but either my tastes changed or the beer changed. I don't find it to be all that deep or yummy anymore as I actually find it to taste somewhat thin and artificial. I buy a four pack or so a year and it isn't a bad beer, just not anything mind blowing or spectacular. I'd pay $10 for a four pack of FMB, but not the $20 per bottle ever again.
  3. Both Beers suck. and please don't start that crap about 'people didn't like fmb because of the word artificial on the label.'

I didn't need the label to tell me it tasted like a saccharine-y mess.

much love to anyone who appreciates these beers (perhaps a bit more for Creme Brulee lovers) - they just aren't for me.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  4. To take that even one step further, Rogue gets shit on constantly for their prices yet puts this higher rated beer out at half the price of FMB:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/1339
    writerLJBerg and nanobrew like this.
  5. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

FMB was a lot better before they bottled it
  6. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Can't wait for this to turn into some awkward domestic abuse-like situation. "Founders, we hit you because we love you. Shhhh baby, it's okay... Just make more CBS and CBH)
  7. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

To me FMB was an overall weak beer. I've had it in the taproom a few times and enjoyed it in smaller quantities. It's got a very thin profile to it and the hazelnut is overwhelming.
  8. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Actually, I agree with your assessment, but I don't think it is only palate development/experience. I think FBS has slipped a little over the last couple years....but I tend to want to believe it is still the great beer of 2-3 years ago.
  9. I would've bought a case if I could. Loved it, just wish I had more than 1 bottle.
  10. Frangelic Mountain Brown Whine*

*Brewed with artificial tears
  11. LL Frangelic B.
  12. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

This is like peoples opinion...To me it tastes fake and artificial, just like Blushing Monk. I don't think there is a single brewery that makes every single beer to my exact tastes. I have no problem saying or writing reviews saying that. Once people realize nobody likes everything, and not every brewery makes every release perfect this site might be easier to browse through.
  13. I think it's a good beer. I can see perhaps a slight artificial hazelnut quality with it, but nothing that would keep me from drinking it.
  14. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

I'll be honest, being from Grand Rapids and living a mile away from Founders I am an avid fan and have nothing but good things to say about my local brewery. Having said that, I did try the beer fresh off the tap at the brewery and hated it, (I got the overwhelming hazelnut syrup flavor everyone is mentioning) and I actually gave it away. Later down the road after finding out that they planned to bottle the stuff I was absolutely shocked. Especially after having their Frangelic Porter on tap (which for me is one of the best beers I've had to date). I bought a bottle anyways and let it sit for a bit. Totally different beer after some aging. You get so much more balance and the brown ale really starts to come through. If you still have an unopened bottle I would suggest trying it!