1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frankenmuth "World Expo of Beer" 2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Alextricity, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

http://www.worldexpoofbeer.com/expo/

Who's going? I went last year right before I really started getting into beer... I'll be able to appreciate it a lot more this year. It was a pretty good time, even though it was super hot inside and crowded.

2. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I went last year.And while it was OK, I just expected much more..What I mean was it was basically a bunch of people filling the tasting boot and not knowing much about any of the beers they were pouring..It was also basically a bunch of very common beers that were readily available that I had tried most of already..I did appreciate the B.Nektar guys, Ian and Ian there..But, that was mead and not beer..Ill probably go again, but I do need to see the beer list first..

3. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (335) Michigan May 28, 2008

I felt the same way. There were a few spots that were definitely worthwhile and I did make it to a few breweries that I tend to miss at the MBG events which was nice. If you are just getting into craft beer its a great place to try some things but if you have attended the MBG events its not going to live up to that.

4. tommyz

Exactly how I felt, which is probably why I was disappointed..But the price is pretty reasonable and can hit up Frankenmuth Brewery which I like..Then make the ride back home hitting up Sherwood,Kuhnhenns,Dragonmead..lol

5. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Not a fan of this event at all, would rather put my money towards some good beers at One Eyed Bettys, Clubhouse or Kuhnhenns personally.

pschul4 and craigo19 like this.
  6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I would want a beer list. I see Bells and GLBC in the pics, but I can get all that here.

7. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Interested in going. But not going to sweat it if I don't.

8. For the price you can't beat it. Be aware though, 90% of the people go to get drunk or just don't appreciate the beer and the "pourers" are volunteers and don't know anything about what they're pouring. Sometimes the brewer will be back there to answer some questions but not always.

I like it and will go again but I have my expectations set at a reasonable level.

fishtremble and Zaphog like this.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

*Disclaimer: I've never been to this event, nor have I viewed it's pour list.

With that said, I never understood why people would pay 25-30 dollars for beer events that pour every day, run of the mill beers. In my opinion, get 5 of your beer loving buddies together, pool your 25 dollars, and hit the local bar. With $125 at One Eyed Betty's or BFD, you can sample THE best beers available in our state, and still get 10-15 2-4 ounce samples.

10. tommyz

Yeah, my expectations will be a lot lower this year..I hope that atleast 1 brewery will bring a very nice surprise..

11. With that said, maybe you should research this event a little more. They have some of the same beers that they pour at the Brewers Guild festivals and the same breweries. Sure Bud is there with their twisted tea but that just means more Big Rock Chophouse for me.

Also, the admission is less than 10 bucks and it's around a dollar per pour. For 25 dollars you can get a lot of beer that I can't get in the store.

12. tommyz

Its 8 bucks, plus I believe 50 cents a pour.

Alextricity likes this.
  13. MarcatGSB

I just noticed that, and I also noticed that this beer event goes towards charity. But like I said, I wasn't exactly speaking of this particular event. There are a few others in the state that come to mind.

14. Alextricity

Enough said. I went with my sister and some of her work pallies ... since I was ignorant to any and all craft beer, I asked her the other day what they had. A lot of the beers ARE "run-in-the-mill", but they do have specialty beers on-tap at specific times.

Also, I'd kindly like to let you know that there's no apostrophe in "its pour list".

ALSOALSO. I've been wanting BFD and One Eyed Betty's for awhile now. I guess it's time I take drive over to one or both.

15. MarcatGSB

Thxforthegramrlesnbrosif.

16. tommyz

Ive never bee
    Ive never been to BFD, but one eyed bettys rocks

17. Alextricity

Yo wilkumz.

18. tommyz

I hear you..

19. Alextricity

BFD's closer to me, but it'd take longer to get to than OEB's, so I guess I know where I'm going this weekend or next.

Oh yeah, if you guys are anywhere near St. Clair Shores, try Achatz Burgers. Mindblowingly good.

20. Alextricity

http://oneeyedbettys.com/beers/

Any tap recommendations? Kind of overwhelming, and I've only had about half the list.

21. I like this event and I attend and volunteer every year, but there seems to be some misinformation about it in this thread. The event where they had the tasting boots was not the World Expo of beer, it was a smaller event that also goes to charity and last year was the first one, they have a lot of kinks to work out with with that event but it has promise. The would Expo of Beer has an $8 admission with $1.25 per sample with all the proceeds going to charity and it's run by the Jaycees. I volunteer every year and while most volunteers are Jaycees that aren't too knowledgeable on the beer their pouring, but they are volunteers that do know the beer, and my group always works at a brewery that we are real familiar with so we can inform people about the beer they are trying. Last year we volunteered at the Saugatuck both and we had a great time introducing people to their beer, and I can't tell you how many times we blew peoples minds with the flavor of their Neopolitan Stout, I am pretty sure we converted a few people to craft beer that day. It just isn't feasible for them to run such a big event with only knowledgeable Volunteers. This event isn't known for having lot's of rare or one of a kind beers, but lately that's been changing, last year I walked up to the Bell's booth on the busiest day with no line at all and enjoyed several samples of Black Note, it doesn't get much better than that IMO. I view this event as a chance to try to beer from some of the smaller and lesser known Michigan brewery's that don't really distrubute, some real gems can be found if you go off the beaten path. Hope to see some BA's at the years event, Cheer guys.

22. tommyz

Thanks stouthunter. Sounds like something that I'm more inclined to go to now. Hopefully the beer list comes out soon

23. I wouldn't count on a beer list, they have never put one out before, a couple years ago one of the head volunteers told my they wanted to put a list out and planned on doing it eventually but it was very hard to get all the brewery's to confirm what they are bringing. I wouldn't be too worried about the beer selection, it will be solid at the least.

24. jb123

jb123 Savant (490) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Ya no one go please, more great beers for me.

25. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

ill be there, already bought my tickets. this year they are doing a VIB tent(Very Important Beers) that costs a few extra bucks but only 100 people can get in.

Zaphog likes this.
  26. Alextricity

VIB tent, you say?

I already got my tickets and stuff. Damn.

I'll be there on the 18th. :)
    I expect more people to be there this year than last year, considering it seems like hotels filled up a lot faster this year.

27. Zaphog

Zaphog Poobah (1,055) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

This fest doesn't have a ton of crazy limited brews like the MI Brewers Guild Fests but I always have a good time. It's cheap, close for me and there are always a handful of brews like KBS, Black Note, DRIPA, Big Rock Chop House BBA Flying Buffalo and a bunch of other good brews that aren't available at bottle shops. But if you have been to any of the MI Brewers Guild fests and have never been to the WEB don't expect it to be like those.

I went the last couple of years and got the new VIB tix for this year. I'm interested to see what they'll have available in the VIB area.

28. tommyz

where can you get those tickets? I did not see it on the web site

29. jb123

jb123 Savant (490) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

VIB sold out

30. tommyz

lol, of course...

31. That was me. As mentioned, this a the largest fund raising event for the Frankenmuth Jaycees. Tens of thousands of dollars goes to various charities and organizations every year. You won't see the crazy list like MBG fests but there are lots of great beers and always some special ones.
    FYI, State law doesn't allow brewery personnel or wholesalers to pour their own beer at festivals. While many festivals ignore that law the W.E.B has chosen to follow it.

32. fishmich

got my tickets yesterday along with my VIB pass. my buddy and i both have wives that are expecting so they are going to drive us and do girl stuff in Frankenmuth while the rest of us indulge. maybe i shouldnt get too excited, but im getting my hopes up for the VIB.

Zaphog and BRZvice like this.
  33. • Brewery Vivant​
    • Sam Adams​
    • Midland Brewing Co​
    • Tommyknocker Brewing Company​
    • 51 North Brewery​
    • Barts Brewery​
    • Bravo Restaurant & Brewpub​
    • Tri City Brewing​
    • Blue Point Brewing Company​
    • Perrin Brewing Company​
    • Blue Tractor BBQ & Brewery​
    • Erie Brewing Company​
    • Weihenstephaner​
    • Finch's Beer Company​
    • Cranker's Brewery​
    • Unibroue​
    • B. Nektar Meadery​
    • Founders Brewing Company​
    • Shock Top​
    • Bud Black Crown​
    • Stella Artois​
    • Goose Island​
    • Petrus​
    • Wittekerke​
    • Thirsty Dog Brewing Co​
    • Liberty Street Brewing Company​
    • Smirnoff​
    • Guiness​
    • Red Stripe​
    • Harp​
    • Smithwicks​
    • Parrot Bay​
    • Pabst Brewing Company​
    • McKenzie's Hard Cider​
    • Vermont Hard Cider Company​
    • Superior Lakes​
    • Boulder Beer Company​
    • C2 Imports​
    • Chimay​
    • New Belgium Brewing Company​
    • Tenth & Blake Brewing Company​
    • Shiner Beers​
    • The Hideout Brewing Company​
    • Dragonmead​
    • Hofbrau & Staropramen​
    • Great Lakes Brewing Co​
    • Atwater Brewery​
    • Uncle John's Fruit House Winery​
    • Schmohz Brewing Company​
    • Mt Pleasant Brewing Co​
    • Summit Brewing​
    • Frankenmuth Brewery​
    • New Holland Brewing Co.​
    • Redwood Brewing Co​
    • Unity Vibration Kombucha​
    • Saugatuck Brewing Company​
    • Great Lakes Brewing Co​
    • Arcadia Brewing Company​
    • Crispin Cider Company​
    • Walldorff Brewpub & Bistro​
    • Palm​
    • Rodenbach​
    • Steenbrugge​
    • Leinenkugel's Brewing Company​
    • Four Loko​
    • Moskato​
    • Blue Moon Brewing Company​
    • Keweenaw Brewing​
    • Sullivans Black Forest​
    • Bells Brewery​
    • Cheboygan Brewing Company​
    • Witch's Hat​
    • Arbor Brewing​
    • Kuhnhenn Brewing Co​
    • Shorts Brewing​

34. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Hmm, debating whether or not I want to volunteer for this. The only shifts available are the late ones, so I presume that means I wont be drinking at all. Could just go and then come home and drink from the cellar though lol. If things are as mediocre as you are all saying, could be good to go and share my knowledge with the tasting folk.

35. Not so sure everyone was saying that.

Zaphog likes this.
  36. Went a few years ago as my first beer fest and it was "ok." However since they went and ruined the Cleveland International Beer Fest this year its probably my only easy option.

On the plus side I can have my wife drop me off while she goes and spends 3 hours at Bronner's!

37. Alextricity

I hope they have KBS during some hours that I'm there ... I couldn't find any this year and would love to have it. Additioanlly, it's small as hall and basically unreadable, but:

[​IMG]

38. fishmich

i would think KBS will be there. i do know that Bells will have Black Note and one other specialty according to their site.

39. They had KBS there last year Saturday Evening, so there's a possibility they will have it again this year. Decent selection of breweries to choose from and nice to see ones that don't make it around often be available.

40. Alextricity

Last year at WEOB was the first time I ever tasted craft beer, so I knew NOTHING about ANY brewery. Then a few weeks later I signed up for this site, and. You know.

Saturday evening sounds good, because that'll be the time I'm there. Really hope I get a chance to try it. If not, maybe Bell's Black Note. Want to try SOME sort of criticallly acclaimed beer that I haven't had.