1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FredFest 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by asprints, Mar 29, 2012.

1. asprints

asprints Aficionado (125) Oregon Nov 21, 2006

The littlest big beer festival in the world – or at least in Portland – is slated for Sunday, May 13, with tickets going on sale March 29 at the web site fredfestpdx.com.
    The event, which always sells out, is highly anticipated in the craft beer community, with fans flocking from across the country to attend and pay homage to Fred Eckhardt, the Dean of American Beer Writers.
    What started as a surprise 80th birthday party for the world-renowned Portland resident, FredFest has become a significant fundraiser for the nonprofit organization of Eckhardt’s choice. Now in its seventh year, FredFest has selected Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East as its official fundraising recipient. That means 100 percent of this year’s proceeds from FredFest will go toward building a home for a Portland family.
    “Our goal is to raise at least $10,000 from FredFest,” says co-organizer Lisa Morrison. “Of course, we’d love to raise a lot more, but $5,000 will build an entire bedroom for one Portland kid. We want to make it a double. Not bad for an afternoon of drinking great beer and having a fun time!”
    In a quest to answer the timeless question: “What Would Fred Drink?” lucky Fred fans and brewers will gather at the Hair of the Dog brewery and tasting room at 61 SE Yamhill in Portland on May 13 from 2-6 p.m., where they will be treated not only to a rare assortment of hand-selected beers, but also light fare — and birthday cake, complete with a round of the “Happy Birthday” song for Fred. Cheeses, chocolate, candy and even cereal will be offered in abundance so attendees can experience some of Fred’s more infamous beer-and-food pairings.
    Tickets are $65 advance. Cost for FredFest includes a souvenir glass, free ticket for a raffle of bottled specialty beers and other goodies (more raffle tickets will be on sale at FredFest) plus four hours of sampling, sipping, singing and storytelling with Fred.

optophobia, HuskyinPDX and Rempo like this.
  2. Tickets are $60 not $65 :)

Thanks Alan !

3. A shame this is the day after Sasquatch Brewfest in Eugene. I know Eugene is seldom considered by Portlandians but the dates for Sasquatch have been published for some time now.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

It's always been held on the weekend closest to Fred's birthday (except for the one year it was on a Monday due to HOTD's relocation), so the date should come as no real surprise. On the bright side, it's not starting until 2pk, so there's plenty of time to sleep off the buzz from Sasquatch and drive home without having to get up too early.

BTW, are you and the lady heading down for Sasquatch?

5. Thanks for the heads up! I was looking for an excuse to head down to Portland for a weekend. I'll be there with my girlfriend.

6. For some reason I thought Fred's birthday was a little earlier (seems like FredFest used to fall closer to the first weekend in May, I remember they had to push it back one year because Fred was in Austin or some such business).

First world problems...anyways, yes, the plan is to head to Eugene for Sasquatch!

7. BeerGoddess

BeerGoddess Aficionado (100) Oregon Jun 14, 2006

Hey -- I am going to do both Sasquatch and FredFest and I am one of the FredFest organizers. If I can do it, y'all can do it! ;)

beertunes likes this.
  8. asprints

asprints Aficionado (125) Oregon Nov 21, 2006

Less than 100 tickets left

9. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Looking forward to attending FredFest for the first time! What kind of rare beers show up at this event? I am quite curious!

10. I so want to go, what excuse can I come up with to be in Portland on a Sunday. Hmmmm...

11. http://www.fredfestpdx.com/the-beers
    Scroll down the page to see past beers from 2009-2011 and look for updates as the '12 FF gets closer...

12. Bridgeport has changed like three times. Make up your damn mind!

13. slaintemhor

slaintemhor Aficionado (225) Oregon Feb 11, 2009

Go Morrison!! I'll be there in kilted regalia (perhaps should wear the Morrison this year!)!!

Dubbercody and BeerGoddess like this.
  14. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

I
    I will be hanging in there with you morrison

15. cavemanlawyer likes this.
  16. Anyone else from the Seattle area planning on going? Would be great to carpool, I can drive if needed.

17. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

"This will be the FIRST time the general public will get to sample Collage...and at a very limited quantity, it might be the only chance you get!"

So. Much. Hype.

For someone who lives outside of Oregon, maybe the only chance. But I have a hard time believing that someone reading this board and that blog will find this to be their only chance...

18. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Shrug. You're probably right, but what the hell, she's just trying to drum up excitement for the event. As always, the proceeds go to a very good cause, and at least in my mind, that tends to make up for a lot of sins.

All that aside, I must say that Fred makes a very dashing, Jedi knight in that outfit.

beertunes likes this.
  19. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I'm certainly not trying to hate on trying to sell tickets to an event that 100% benefits charity. It's an impressively noble effort. I didn't know that was her intention, and I was also under the impression that Fredfest always sells out.

20. BeerGoddess

BeerGoddess Aficionado (100) Oregon Jun 14, 2006

Hey gang,

I was basing my report on info from Deschutes who said that the quantities are extremely limited for Collage. Marie, who does the PR for Deschutes said:

Just making sure everybody knows this is a pretty limited release and if you can't make the dinner(s) or make it over to the brewpubs pick up a bottle, you might be out of luck. Pretty excited that we get a first taste at FredFest.

FredFest tix: a few more (like, less than 20) are still available as we actually expanded the number sold a bit this year, so if you know someone still on the fence, go kick 'em off. ;)

I am working on the program right now and I am getting excited about the beers. Got a taste of Hair of the Dog Lila last night -- a lovely lager honoring Alan's mom!

Looking forward to seeing y'all at FredFest on Sunday! Bring some cash for raffle tickets. We have some fun stuff this year! We want to raise enough money to build two bedrooms for Portland kids (Habitat for Humanity is our charity this year).

Cheers!

21. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Wow!
    I'm jealous of all those attending. Moscow on tap and that Cherry Bomb Pro. Red would be delicious

22. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

MMM Fredbonic! The Piledriver from Hopworks also looks great. Can't wait!

23. Damn Mother's Day!
    I wish I was there. Please report how it was and How the tasty beers were!

24. How's Collage? We need to know!

25. Collage was deemed 'worthy'. Most people I talked to ranked it among the best at FredFest. I had two, so did my wife... if that counts for anything. Needless to say I'll be at Deschutes on Tuesday...

The unscientific 'notes': I would say its most notable traits are of the two Deschutes beers with both the tartness of The Dissident and fruitiness of The Stoic playing equal parts (I believe that pomegranate juiciness works well here). My friend picked some good 'piney' hoppiness (Fred?), but none of us were quite sure where Adam fell in the mix. All in all, a very interesting blend... Had one early in the day (my second pour) and another much later (taste buds and sobriety fuzzier then).

Brian

PS: FredFest as a whole was absolutely awesome...again, one of the BEST days in Portland's beer scene.

26. Thanks.