1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Free Beer Until The Vikings Opening Day In The New Stadium

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by KarlHungus, Apr 3, 2014.

1. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (800) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Day Block Brewing Company is offering free beer until the Vikings open up at the new stadium in 2016 for a mere $1000. That comes out to the cost of 160 beers. I did it as this brewery has quickly grown on me.

SipIt likes this.
  2. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

They've had that up for a while. While I enjoy the brewery, won't be there enough to warrent it, but it's a great spot.

3. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I like this place a lot as well, and wish I could make it down there more frequently.

4. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

5. KarlHungus

Nope, free beer for thirty months is too nice of a prize for FF to offer for an 'investment'.

Ungertaker and SipIt like this.
  6. SipIt

Exactly, this can be a win win for the consumer and the company. If Firkins were to sell their product for prices where the customer could benefit over time, it'd no longer be free money.

If I still lived downtown, I could easily avg 4 beers a week at this place. Over 30 months, that'd be a great deal.

ZAP and BeerGoogler like this.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Interesting marketing ploy, have to give them props for that. What beers of their do you enjoy? We stopped in shortly after they opening & the two I tried were very average...though the pizza was fantastic, so I'll be happy to go back & give them another try just based on the food.

McRyan likes this.
  8. KarlHungus

They are kind of like Dangerous Man in that the brew new stuff all the time with few regular beers. So far I've thought their coffee porter, ryebock and English pale ale were well above average, and their spring wit is exactly what a wit should be. I suggest you try them again soon as their current line up is really good.

9. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I wouldn't put DM and Dayblock in the same category. To me they offer gateway craft beer.

mmulebarn likes this.
  10. KarlHungus

I mean they both brew new recipes constantly. I wasn't trying to make any inference as to the actual beers they they brew in that statement.

McRyan likes this.
  11. Baudette

Baudette Aficionado (140) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

what's gateway craft beer?

12. SipIt

Yeah, I don't think they are close to being on par with Dangerous Man at the moment. With that being said, I feel each new series of brews they put out seem to be better than the previous batch, so I'll give them some time to settle in...

McRyan and BeerGoogler like this.
  13. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

What does 'free' mean to you?

dc55110 and TboneRN like this.
  14. McRyan

closely resembling bud miller coors.

15. KarlHungus

QUOTE="Steasy66, post: 2307458, member: 661129"]What does 'free' mean to you?[/QUOTE]
    Free is their word not mine, but we're really just talking semantics here. You pay for your first 160 beers up front then every beer after that is free. For someone who lives near by, and I enjoys their beer, it is a good deal.

SipIt likes this.
  16. Baudette

Baudette Aficionado (140) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

hmmmm
    How does a coffee porter, ryebock and English pale ale resemble bud miller coors? - -

fantome likes this.
  17. McRyan

I didn't invent the relatively widely used term "gateway craft" i described it horribly. Beers for people who usually drink mainstream beers makes an easy transition to craft beer.

18. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

day block doesn't present the most challenging or sophisticated brews to this crowd, but it's definitely a step above gateway. gateway is goose island honkers, summit epa, maybe even leinie's...something. day block pushes it more than those for sure, but as stated above, it isn't going to challenge your buds like a dangerous man might

BeerGoogler, SipIt and McRyan like this.
  19. I really enjoyed what I had at dayblock when I was there, I find this far less ridiculous than the people that have been saying northbound is better than townhall.

20. mkhartnett

I wouldn't disagree, but sometimes I don't want to be challenged. A couple of Day BLocks stuff is really solid, throw in a nice spot, good pizza (and bacon) and it's a fantastic night. I was at DM on Tuesday after hitting up 1029 and had the Chocolate Milk Stout which continues to just be awesome.

BeerGoogler and McRyan like this.
  21. McRyan

First thing that popped into my head was Hammerheart Or back when Pour Decisions was around. Definitely can be a challenging experience.

22. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I would hardly call it "Free beer" when you pay $1k! Northbound did something similar, but they did unlimited beer for life for $1k. Both Day Block and Four Firkins should take note, that is what you offer someone who is providing you with capital when you are not offering an ownership stake in return for their investment.

Chaz likes this.
  23. mkhartnett

Northbound also offered the choice of Equity. I remember seeing that and while I hope they do well, I've been underwhelmed everytime I've been there.

Chaz likes this.
  24. KarlHungus

It don't think it is quite fair to put Day Block in the same category as FF. Day Block is offering something that is worth value to the 'investor' while FF is offering prizes that have no monetary value. The 'investors' in Day Block get 30 months of beer, and while it isn't technically free the 'investor' can still come out on top in the end if they have more than 160 pints. It can be a win-win for everyone involved. Whereas, with the FF thing only FF comes out winning.

SipIt likes this.
  25. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

While I admit that the Day Block offering is closer to worthwhile, the precedent has already been set locally that $1k "investment" in a brewery should come with a lifetime of unlimited beer, not 2.5 years.

26. Buebie

Buebie Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 11, 2007

They are no where near being as unpleasant as gateway beer. Their offerings a more sessionable non cloying brews, that doesn't make them bad.

KarlHungus, Baudette and SipIt like this.
  27. Wow, 160 beers. I think I bounce around too much for me to really get the value out of this. There's too many options in a decent radius of me.